Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 I have a pair of Quail.. Now what?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic I have a pair of Quail.. Now what? Next Topic  

RosesAreRed
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Laurie
Lehigh Acres Fl
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  8:51:25 PM  Show Profile
In a soft moment, I bought a pair of Japanese Quail (Coturnix?) They are roughly 4 weeks old.. maybe 5 by now. Not sure. They are currently in the dog cage in the garage at night, and sitting on the front porch in the day. I need to build an aviary for them. I really, really don't want to provide them a wire cage like the breeder had. It so unnatural. What shall I build? I have kept chickens before, but these ain't no chickens. What do I do with them? Besides chicken feed, what do they eat? How often do they lay? I keep reading that they lay a lot. How much is that? Any Sisters here with experience in raising quail?

Taffy

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  9:29:40 PM  Show Profile
All I know about quail is that they nest on the ground and like to scratch in the dirt. So they are sorta like chickens in that respect. I don't know what they eat. Wish I could offer more.
cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2012 :  01:13:40 AM  Show Profile
Good luck keepin up with the eggs! the hen will probably lay an egg almost every day after 6-7 weeks old. The are naturally a ground bird, they love to have hide outs. to prevent cannibalism try to give them sweiat or a pick block of some kind. the love to roll in the dirt. Oh and if the are regualer coturnix they may be flighty... we raise the a&m vatiey and they are super friendly, but the regs are used to train birds.
a rule of thumb on the size is 2sq ft per bird in a flight pen, but I recommend a larger area.... so that you can hatch more and have room for them! Flight pens normally are about 6ft tall and 12 X 24 ft at our house... we raise lots of differnt kinds of quail. the spooky they are the more room i would give them.

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2012 :  05:30:40 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
WE raise ours in rabbit cages with nest boxes and lots of hay to hid in. They do start laying early and they will fly. We incubate the eggs mostly. This is Ds(11) project.

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2012 :  06:43:44 AM  Show Profile
Give them game bird feed, they need the extra protein. For chicks definitely give them game bird starter. If you can't get game bird feed, you can use turkey starter as it has almost the same protein content. The Japanese are really sweet little critters, the ones we had would let you pet them after a while, they are pretty calm compared to other quail. Lots of room to move around and areas to take dirt baths and hide. They should start laying eggs pretty soon, ours usually laid an egg a day, some gals would lay 2 per day. You can use quail eggs just like chicken eggs, but it takes alot more to equal 1 chicken egg. Around here, a flat of 50 eggs usually goes for about $20 (if you decide to sell any) and it does not take long to get a full flat.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

RosesAreRed
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Laurie
Lehigh Acres Fl
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2012 :  08:18:47 AM  Show Profile
thank you, sisters for answering my questions!

I think I have found a small aviary design for them. Now, to get building.

They are so pretty, and the noise they make is lovely. I can see that 1 pair may not be enough. heehee

I am not really sure what I will do with the eggs. I think, for awhile, I will just share with family, my dogs, and friends. Then probably sell eggs. I am certain that I will not be able to resist hatching some out.

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2012 :  08:48:28 AM  Show Profile
Post a "No Hunting" sign immediately! Of course, in our neck of the woods, that's like sending out an invitation to hunters, "Come on in -- something worth shooting for ya!"
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2012 :  11:53:53 PM  Show Profile
Good luck with the quail. It is so much fun to start a new venture like this, don't you think?
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

RosesAreRed
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Laurie
Lehigh Acres Fl
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2012 :  07:07:16 AM  Show Profile
I do love new adventures. I have raised many a chicken for others to keep, but haven't been able to keep any for myself over the years. I got this Bloodhound that has an incredible hunt and prey instinct.. and he is absolutely obssessive and loud about it. My last adventure was a rabbit. The rabbit has a new home. The dog does let me keep the gerbils and rats, but goes insane when I clean cages. I can't have any of them out, unless I put them away. The other Bloodhound could care less, and she liked the rabbit in a friendly way. ANYWAY, I am bound and determined to have some kind of hobby farm here. I like birds a lot. I like eggs. :) The quail are small enough, take up very little visable space. Red really won't notice them, and if he does.. he will get used to them, because they won't be strutting through his yard.

I am dissapointed that these birds don't like to be held. The chickens were always well handled and enjoyed hanging out. These quail are different. Are there any quail that do enjoy being held, and aren't so flighty?
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  07:14:12 AM  Show Profile
we raise Texas A&M courtix quail and they are friendly. They also are a good meat quial. we sell some as pets for kids, as the are a great way into the world of birds.

Go to Top of Page

RosesAreRed
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Laurie
Lehigh Acres Fl
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  11:01:55 AM  Show Profile
I wonder if I can find those around here in Florida....
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2012 :  9:45:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi Laurie, There is a great chicken, quail, duck breeder close to you in Fort Myers off of Bayshore down by Lawhorns. He's on Craigslist under Farm and Garden. They call him the Chicken Man, he has the Circle S farm. He's a great guy full of knowledge, been doing chickens for 25 years. He has a large varity of chicken, and he does raise quail. I am very pleased with the birds I got from him. I will email you his phone number.

Edited by - hoosiercountry on Mar 20 2012 10:13:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

RosesAreRed
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Laurie
Lehigh Acres Fl
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  04:57:16 AM  Show Profile
oh my gosh!! Small world. That is exactly where I got these two quail from! I LOVE is poultry farm. Thank you for thinking of me like this!!
Taffy
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  09:10:45 AM  Show Profile
if you have an incubator, you can try to get eggs on ebay. other wise maybe we can arrange a shipment with you on eggs.

Go to Top of Page

RosesAreRed
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Laurie
Lehigh Acres Fl
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  09:29:10 AM  Show Profile
I DO have an incubator! I would rather purchase eggs from you.
Kirataffy@centurylink.net
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  06:18:43 AM  Show Profile
Rosesarered did you get my email???

Go to Top of Page

RosesAreRed
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Laurie
Lehigh Acres Fl
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  08:53:09 AM  Show Profile
I did. I am thinking, and enabling a friend who also has 3 of the same quail we have. :)
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  09:08:53 AM  Show Profile
Laurie I know pretty much nothing about quail but as for gentle pets my sister in law used to have a pet button quail and it would follow her around and was a very sweet pet.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  04:17:18 AM  Show Profile
I have had several kinds of quail over the years. I have raised on ground, with dirt, which they love, and also off ground, just provide a sand box, they love lotz of hay thick in winter, so they bury themselves. Mine will lay in nest boxes, and have hatched their on, only problem, if there is several females, they will keep giving her more eggs to set on, and she will be surrounded by eggs, and cannot hatch them all. I have successfully hatched them in the incubators, and sold them, and sold their eggs. We eat their eggs, and are expecially good hard boiled. and even pickled. In the evening the sound they make, is so beautiful. And I agree, lots of eggs you will be getting. Have fun. Farmgirl #946 Linda
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  6:45:50 PM  Show Profile
Oh my you girls are talking me into getting some little quails.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic I have a pair of Quail.. Now what? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page