Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Sewing Next Topic  

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2006 :  12:51:47 PM  Show Profile

Have any of you done sewing as a business? I have made things in the past.....flower girl dresses, old fashioned dresses & bonnets for my girls, smocked dresses, etc.

As you can probably tell pants aren't my forte as yet! But I can turn a fair hand at sewing and have thought about doing something to supplement our income.

I know how to sew, spin and basic knitting. I also love decorating but am not sure how to get paid for that either without a degree.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Holly

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2006 :  1:13:30 PM  Show Profile
Holly,
Maybe you could run an ad in your local paper, saying whatever it is you feel you can do, you know alterations, repairs, confirmation dresses, flower girl dresses, dresses for the old fashion at heart, prairie skirts, they are very popular now and somewhat easy to make I understand. Kindergarten and pre school smocks. We have a lady here is town and that is about all she does is make smocks for all the kids starting school, she makes them better and for less money then the ones you can buy. I have a lady that does sewing for me sometimes, shortens pants and stuff for me, but she is always busy. She runs an ad in our local paper and has always been busy. So hope this helps and good luck.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2006 :  4:50:23 PM  Show Profile
At one point in my life, I sewed patches on jackets for the high school kids. I was in the sports clothing store one day when I overheard them talking that they needed someone to sew patches on jackets, shirts, etc. I made a small bundle doing that! You'd be surprised how many people can't hem their own slacks. An ad would surely do the trick. Good luck! Susan
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  10:21:53 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the ideas ladies. Right now though I have auditioned for the Chapel Pianist position as well as talking with a company called Jane Wayne about sewing.

This is an all military wife company who make the cutest bags, aprons etc all from uniform fabric. I can do contract sewing with them and get paid between $5.00 and $25.00 an item, do sales and even design.

Holly

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  12:39:54 PM  Show Profile
I am working sewing drapery and such.
I'm just starting out, so hopefully it will be profitable for our family.

I have done some sewing for others prior to this, but I'm going to stick with this for a while and do my best to make it my 'job'...without taking too much away from my other job...Mommy...

Faith
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  5:46:13 PM  Show Profile
Holly,
Could you share contact info on the Jane Wayne sewing program? My daughter is Navy and she might be interested.
Thanks!

Humor is the prelude to faith and Laughter is the beginning of prayer. -- Reinhold Niebuhr

http://farmstyle.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Sewing Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page