Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2012 :  3:58:29 PM  Show Profile
I have several book shelves around the house. The picture I put on today are books in the top of the desk in the living room. I only keep books that I really like or that are of some meaning or value to me. If I kept everybook I brought into this house I would have to open a lending library. I have books in everyroom of the house. Most of them are gifts, or I buy used or have had for a long time. Some from Garage sales, and the thrift store. Some are new. Its aways a bonus to find something in an older book that someone has left in there. A bookmark, a picture, etc.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

Debra B
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Debra
Thaxton VA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2012 :  5:39:28 PM  Show Profile
Our joke is that when a librarian and a preacher marry...you have books! DH is a Methodist pastor and we move regularly. During our last move almost 5 years ago our oldest daughter started counting the boxes of books as we packed them. She lost count at a 120 boxes and that wasn't anywhere near the end of them. Since Joe got his Kindle we've been downsizing a little bit and now that I'm all out of toddlers I'm starting to get rid of some of the picture books.

Debra

Homeschooling mom to 6 beautiful blessings
Pastor Joe's wife
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2012 :  8:00:08 PM  Show Profile
How nice that you have the books you read as a little girl. I have many of my childhood books too, including a large set of Bobbsey Twins that used to stay on a bookshelf in my grandmother's house for the visiting grandkids. Got to keep those. But you've reminded me that I should probably weed out the shelves again. It's either less books or more shelves at this point.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2012 :  06:25:50 AM  Show Profile
That is a lot of books deb! And Amie, I only have two Bobbsey twin books, you have a whole set, thats great. Yes I keep my books weeded out too, but it still leaves me with a lot, but I love my books.

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2012 :  9:08:17 PM  Show Profile
Oh girls, I love books too. Especially the ones I had when I was a girl. I have my bookhouse set, raggedy ann and andy and even Little Black Sambo. I loved that book and didn't even think about the implications it has now. It was just a great story.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  08:07:28 AM  Show Profile
I, too, have books all over my house. I love my books being all around.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  09:48:56 AM  Show Profile
So many people, upon first entering my house, always look around at all of my books, then they look at me and ask...who in the world reads all of these? I LOVE books. I have since I was really young. I'm not a shopping kind of person, but get me in a bookstore and I can be lost for hours. I love scouring yard sales, flea markets, thrift stores. Any day that I can find a book to come home with me is an awesome day.

hugs
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  09:53:44 AM  Show Profile
I know what you mean Marcy. Finding an old book at a sale is so exciting. Whats up with that?
Nancy Jo

Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  10:44:23 AM  Show Profile
Oh Marcy, me too. I'd rather buy books than anything. I can remember as a kid my mother would sometimes send me to my room as a punishment. I loved that-I had tons to read-not really a punishment at all. My DH didn't read a thing when we met but over the last 17 years he has changed. He now has 2 magazine subscriptions and goes to the library weekly. My daughter collects the Bobsey twins books.
Has anyone else ever heard of the Beverly Gray series? My teenage aunts had this set when I was a kid. Bev was a forerunner of Nancy Drew (different author, same premise) and I LOVED those books. Over the years I have been able to get a few at antique bookstores but have never found them anywhere else. Spent many wonderful hours reading and I still do. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  10:45:49 AM  Show Profile
Oh yeah, my DH asked me last week what my life would be like without him and I said "I would miss you but I would have hairy legs, eat chocolate and read all day." My earthly version of heavenn. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic For the Love of Books Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page