Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 two setting hens sharing nesting box?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic two setting hens sharing nesting box? Next Topic  

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2012 :  2:43:52 PM  Show Profile
We have two barred rock hens. Natasha originally set on eggs two weeks ago (has one week to go until the hatch, fingers crossed!) and how her sister Bulwinkle has been hopping in the nest when Natasha gets off to eat and drink. Then Bulwinkle gets off when Natasha comes back, and Natasha gets back on and sets. Well...all day today the two of them have been sitting on the eggs together, at the same time! Is this normal? We've never seen this before! :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2012 :  3:58:42 PM  Show Profile
well it sounds too cute to me. you should video it. maybe they are helping each other. truth will show when they hatch. do they share raising them or argue. i saw you had roo troubles too. watch him if he is getting too spring crazy he may break the eggs or kill the chicks. the girls may be sharing protecting the babies. by now the chicks can hear. so if you talk to the egg they will know your voice. i am doing this with our sow due march 29th. i say hi babies im your nana. i would protect the hens from him for a while. maybe his testosterone is running high. your 2 girls may know he is running crazy. just a thought batz will know more the chicken farmgirl extraordinaire. happy hatching sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2012 :  4:59:00 PM  Show Profile
I've seen dual hens many times in the years I've raised poutry, sometimes they will be dual momma's too, but more times than not, they willargue over the chicks, and when this happens, the chicks get the bad end of the deal, also when hatch dates are differant with the two girls, sometimes the ones that are not ready to hatch yet get abandoned, and die in shell, if you have an incubator, you might want to set it up to hatch both hens eggs...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic two setting hens sharing nesting box? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page