Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Just Ordered My Trees!-Update:ALL PLANTED! :)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Just Ordered My Trees!-Update:ALL PLANTED! :) Next Topic  

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  10:28:14 AM  Show Profile
I'm so excited! I just placed my order for our fruit trees this year! They are coming in April, so we will be digging a lot of holes soon! :) We are getting Apple, Peach, Apricot, and Plum trees. So excited to get them in the ground and growing so we can have yummy fruit in our house in just a few years!

~April

Playing in the Sonshine

Edited by - sonshine4u on Apr 09 2012 11:04:39 AM

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  12:16:51 PM  Show Profile
April...I am soooo very happy for you!!! But so very jealous too. LOL
I have one fruit tree though and it is a Cherry Tree. I have to fight
the The Racoons and Possums for the bounty. Last year they got in
a fight over them and and one Racoon knocked the possum out of the tree
and he landed on my birdbath and knocked it over but thankfully didn't
break it. It is very old and very mossed over and cool and I just love
it. So, it will be interesting to hear what critters want to share your
fruit with you too.

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  12:22:32 PM  Show Profile
Sounds wonderful, April. Happy planting. Y'all will soon have lots of good fruit to eat.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  2:11:03 PM  Show Profile
Wow April!
Our order is for regular shelter belt trees, popular, spruce & lilacs. Oh to have your growing weather! Good luck with them & I can just taste all the yummy treats you'll make with your fruit!!!
Judy

country wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  2:22:10 PM  Show Profile
Late at night, I always see Raccoons eating plums off of the Japanese Plum Tree. And- they are big raccoons. They tried out the lemons this fall, but gave up on them.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

PatioFarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Nicole
Newark DE
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  3:29:01 PM  Show Profile
Congrats! I also ordered two columnar apple trees last week! These little trees grow straight up (not outward past 2 feet) to a max of 10 feet so you can stick them in big pots. Supposedly, they bear fruit the first year too! Good luck with your new trees!
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  3:55:37 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Ladies! I am feeling so giddy about this orchard my hubby and I are planting. He learned how to prune fruit trees with a friend at a local orchard a few weeks ago and he was surprised how different it was than pruning regular trees. So glad he went to learn! There's just something special about hands on experience. :)

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Emily
Chambersburg PA
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  5:07:11 PM  Show Profile
So awesome April! where did you order your trees from?

---
Farmgirl #2951
No longer renting, offical farmgirl.
Check out my new blog at http://featheredhattrading.blogspot.com/
And my new Etsy listings http://www.etsy.com/shop/alterationsbyemily
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  6:50:51 PM  Show Profile
Stark bros. in MO. I got some for my parents a couple of years ago and I was really impressed with their root stock.

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  7:32:14 PM  Show Profile
Stark Bro's is the best, I have ordered from them for over 30 yrs, never, ever a complaint, and any questions, just call, they will take the time to talk and explain to you what ever you need...they are in Louisianna, Missouri, family operation...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  7:38:09 PM  Show Profile
Tina! That's great to hear! They seem to have quite the legacy! :)

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2012 :  12:30:40 PM  Show Profile
Oh April, how lucky you are... I miss having Apricots... Back in SO.CAl. I had Avacado, Almond, Lemon, (Beverly Hills) Apple, peach, plum and Fig....
Up here on the west plains side of Spokane,,, I have 5 Cherry(2 are polinators)peach, pear, apple, prune/plum and 1 apricot(the last 2 I planted, died...I am going to give it 1 more try...and so far it is still alive)
The birds & "Rats w/Antlers" are our biggest problem... the birds peck at the cherries and the deer eat the leaves as well as use the trees as back scratching posts, not to mention rub their antlers on.... but at least they do leave us a fair amount 'deer ferterlizer! lol!
I can hardly wait for your trees to start giving you fruit...it is so awesome to walk out, pick & eat.... not to mention can your bounty!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Mar 13 2012 12:32:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2012 :  2:55:47 PM  Show Profile
April,
I got my four apple trees, cherry tree and all my blueberry and raspberry bushes from Stark Brothers. They are great to deal with. This will be my trees 3rd year and I am expecting some fruit this year. I will warn you about the Japanese Beetles. They almost killed my apple and cherry trees last year. I had to resort to spraying which I don't want to do but it was either that or lose my trees. Good luck with your orchard.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2012 :  3:17:09 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the heads up Diane! Excited you get some fruit this year! :)

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2012 :  5:07:37 PM  Show Profile
there are organic tree oil sprays out there for beetle problems, and I believe that Stark Bro's carrys it...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2012 :  7:54:09 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for that tip Tina!

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2012 :  11:03:54 AM  Show Profile
I received my trees this weekend and we got all 17 of them planted! That was a lot of dirt to dig!!! It was a very satisfying and exhausting! So happy to get that done. Now I need to go give them a drink today! :)

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

country_lovin
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Debbie
Oregon
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2012 :  12:43:51 PM  Show Profile
Yay, your trees came in. Hope you post some pictures so I can envy you. We have trees in our yard..But it's a very small yard. we rent so I am anxious to find out what kind of trees and bushes I have. And you'll be picking and canning fruit in no time.
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2012 :  8:10:26 PM  Show Profile
April,
Kudos for digging all of those holes for that many trees!! What a neat project and a wonderful outlook to the future for all of that tasty fruit...not to mention how pretty those trees are in the Spring with their colorful blooms!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.

"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
"A meal of bread, cheese and beer constitutes the perfect food." --Queen Elizabeth I
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  06:42:57 AM  Show Profile
My hubby and son dug all but one hole, I was the planter and mulcher! :) I was so thankful for their speediness, as it would have taken me forever to get all those trees done! It's hard work digging holes!!! Thanks for all your well wishes ladies! :)

~April

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Just Ordered My Trees!-Update:ALL PLANTED! :) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page