Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 just chatting........on the porch late at night
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic just chatting........on the porch late at night Next Topic  

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  8:54:32 PM  Show Profile
I am on my porch late at night, and brought out my laptop. Been reading many posts. Listening to the breeze, and welcoming the drizzle. Good for the garden. So quiet except for the breeze. How many of you porch sit in the late night?

Just saw a possum leave the place I had thrown out some graham crackers. Would rather feed a raccoon or fox. :)

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  11:30:09 PM  Show Profile
I more of an early morning before everyone else sitter. But, it seems the feelings are the same.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  07:11:25 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I love sitting on the back porch late at night.
In the spring, I can just catch a whiff of early bloomers-daffodils, lilacs, and maybe something else I haven't identified yet. I can just see the outline of my back fence sitting here. After the neighborhood kids and dogs have all gone inside for the night, I can sit quietly and plan what my garden will grow this year.
In the summer, after working in the garden till dusk, I'm bone weary and darn tired but I sit in my swinging butterfly chair and just listen to the mama birds feeding their babies - another nest in one of my hanging flowers off the porch. May loose the flowers, but the birds are welcome around my garden, so it's a good swap. As it gets darker, I can hear the neighborhood kids skateboarding around the block and dogs barking at them as they pass. After a while, the lightening bugs will start their little dance above my lawn. Then, swooping around, come the bats. We must have a nest of them around here, because I can pick out at least two or three.
In the fall, when my little harvest is all in and the ground bedded down for the winter, the porch, in bad need of a good and thorough cleaning needs me more than I need it. So much has been dragged, dumped or just left laying around. The BBQ needs to be cleaned and garden tools cleaned and put away. greenhouse disinfected for the next round of seeds, ........ well, one more night swinging in my chair as I think about how I will clean up tomorrow.
In the winter, all bundled up with my heated gloves on, sitting on the quiet, now mostly empty porch, I find it just the perfect place for a nice hot cup of tea while going through last year's seed cataloge. I is the quietest place to be.
Yes, I guess I do love my porch. It is usually the quietest room of my house!
Hope my answer wasn't too long.

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  08:52:45 AM  Show Profile
If I were in a better neighborhood,I would love to do that! But you never know around here. Mosquitoes are out too,which reminds me I need to get a citronella candle. Loved sittin on the porch at night as a kid.

http://www.mandolinbabe.biz

http://www.fiddlebelle.com
http://www.banjobelle.biz
http://www.celticcowgirl.me

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin,uke strummin,banjo pickin, & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  09:21:59 AM  Show Profile
I love sitting on the porch/deck late at night. I love watching the stars and the moon, listening to the owls, ducks, etc...
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  11:14:02 AM  Show Profile
I used to love doing that, back when I had a porch. Unfortunately, one of my cousins will stay and chat on the porch literally all night, which made it a drag after a while!

Now, with spring in the air, I find myself wishing for a porch with a swing.

A hook, a book, and a good cup of coffee....
Go to Top of Page

mosquitocontrol
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Regina
Fayetteville OH
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2012 :  08:21:24 AM  Show Profile
I used to sit on the front porch with my neighbor all the time. We would sit there for hours. we would wait till after dusk so the mosquitoes wouldn't be so bad.
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  10:52:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
Hubby and I love to sit on the back deck when the kiddos go to bed. It's nice to have some peace and quiet and just talk for awhile. I'll go out there alone sometimes just to thin about what I want/need to do the next day.

Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter

"What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger"

Farmgirl #152

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/

http://bigdogmom130.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  5:13:35 PM  Show Profile
My wonderful husband gave me a bunch of those solar butterflies. 20 on long wire to hang on my fence & 6 more on stakes to stick in between flowers. Just lovely!!
Can't wait to sit out late nights on my back porch & watch them while the lightening bugs bounce around the back yard. I can see them at night from my bedroom window. They stay lit for a couple of hours at night.

I really can't wait for the evenings to get warm enough to sit out there at night.

Memory tripping.......

Goodnight sisters.

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2012 :  04:32:58 AM  Show Profile
Oh Kathy, you really made me miss the ligntening bugs. We used to have so many in Kansas! Here in WA, you just don't see them. But, every place has something special and I do enjoy the bald eagles, not so much the magpies!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic just chatting........on the porch late at night Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page