Page: of 2

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2012 :  10:12:39 PM  Show Profile
We thought there were no more alligators in the lake. Last week I saw two of them.
Tomorrow, we are getting in the boat to go out to the islands in the middle of the lake. We'll set poles with chicken parts handing on a line with a hook. Hopefully we can catch the alligators, before they catch my four outside cats. One of my four outside cats, Pepper, just loves to hunt around the lake at dusk. Not good.
If you are a praying person, please pray that we can catch this alligators.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  08:59:36 AM  Show Profile
I know that you will be successful in your quest and that your kittens will be safe...and you be safe doing so...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  09:16:10 AM  Show Profile
I am praying for you, sister. I am not a reptile person except for boots and purses.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are." EE Cummings

Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  09:23:42 AM  Show Profile
Sending prayers your way. Please be safe. Have you ever done this kind of thing before? They are so strong. I hope things turn out well.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  10:19:38 AM  Show Profile
Marly be careful. I know the cats will be thankful that you are keeping them safe. Sometimes we never know where they will turn up. Which is very scary. My hubby used to work at Fort Polk and they would set up live fire for soldiers. Guess what he found? Yep ababy alligator. bought it home and showed it to me. There is a lake out by Fort Polk so they took it out there and let it go. Hubby said that is where it probably came from. There were alligators in the lake.

I will be praying a prayer of protection for you Marly.--Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  12:34:52 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for your kindness and prayers Tina, Sarita, Paula, and Marlee. I've done this many times, and I'll have someone helping me. Both alligators are small. They are coming too close to the edge of our property; too close for comfort. Our four cats outside did not sleep in the carport last night. This morning there was a mud trail to the back deck area. So, I think the outside cats sensed danger, which is a good thing.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  1:48:36 PM  Show Profile
wow marly, do you eat alligator?

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  2:23:13 PM  Show Profile
Marly, is that an oil container trailing that 2nd gator? Looks like a string from it's mouth to the container. So do you haul them off when you catch them? It sounds like you know what you're doing. But be careful anyway!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  2:30:03 PM  Show Profile
Marty - hey girl next thing you know you will be asked to be on the show Swamp People......have you seen that one? Good luck on catching them.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  4:01:30 PM  Show Profile
Most Cajuns eat alligator meat. I sure do. Have you ever eaten alligator Sherry? It really is good.
Good eye Kris. That alligator was hooked. It's just waiting for the Wildlife Agent to come and get it.
So, because of the float container, we know where the alligator is. It can't hide from us. However,
the other one is in hiding.
Shirley Jean, yes, we do watch the Swamp People. We live very close to where they film the show.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  4:11:19 PM  Show Profile
marly, i have not had it before i think i would like it. i hear it is like chicken. stay safe sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  5:42:30 PM  Show Profile
You heard right, it does kind of taste like chicken. There is a slight gamey taste to it. I love alligator meat.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  6:26:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Marly- I hate that there are alligators in your back yard! It seriously gives me nightmares. Please be safe!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  8:00:00 PM  Show Profile
One of my horse-friends said she used to live in Mississippi and had to be concerned about alligators. I thought to myself, how freaky it would be to think about going out in the dark of the morning or evening, like I do to take care of my horses and worry about running up on an alligator in the tall grass. I think it would make one rather jumpy in those parts.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  04:44:45 AM  Show Profile
Quoting Swamp People..."Choot em Lizbeth, Choot em" Gosh I sure hope you get them nasty gators.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  07:55:24 AM  Show Profile
Yikes! When you mentioned that mud trail in the carport, it just sends shivers up my spine...like a horror movie. Sounds like you're used to living around gators--no more fuss than I would make about coyotes--but I just can't imagine it.

Diane, I remember that episode! Love watching Swamp People when I'm walking on the treadmill at the YMCA (no cable at home). I'll definitely be thinking of Marly's cats and rooting the alligator hunters on next time I see the show.
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  09:17:39 AM  Show Profile
Man I do not envy you this task! Stay safe and get those gators :) I'll definitely be praying for your safe hunt mission.

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  09:30:59 AM  Show Profile
Alee: the alligators are in the lake behind the house, but they do come up in the yard. Or, when I mow, the sound of the mowing machine draws them to the edge of the lake.
We have managed to get out most of the alligators from the lake. The two in the lake are small alligators. I am more concerned for my outside cats than the alligators.
Thanks for the prayers Natalie.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2012 :  5:00:25 PM  Show Profile
I think they're fascinating creatures but have never had to live with them aside handling small ones year back when I was a reptile hobbyist and worked in an exotic pet store.I have had the meat at a cajun restaraunt and thought it was great.I hope you're successful in catching your renegade alligators,keep us posted!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2012 :  6:16:23 PM  Show Profile
Good luck Marly...gators creep me out!

My best to all,
Mel

Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

horsefeed
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Carol
Wrightstown WI
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  12:29:08 PM  Show Profile
Take it easy Marly, my prayers are with you. Where will the alligators be taken or will you have them killed to be eaten by you??
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  12:39:33 PM  Show Profile
so did you get the gators caught?

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  3:32:04 PM  Show Profile
Those don't look too small to me!! Take good care of your animals and keep them safe! Hope you update us soon.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  11:02:23 AM  Show Profile
Last Thursday, the Wildlife fellow came by and caught the bigger alligator. It is being relocated to an alligator farm not far from here. The other alligator is in an area where it cannot get close to the house. Hopefully, today it'll be caught and relocated. We have also spotted two smaller, baby alligators. Those are a little easier to catch.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  04:18:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am glad the bigger one is gone!! Two baby alligators?! Does that mean there are more adult alligators that you just aren't seeing or these two were breeding or ?! Yikes Marly! I'll take a rattlesnake any day! At least they tend to avoid humans and won't eat you! ;) I know I am silly but I think alligators frighten me worse than snakes!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  07:51:31 AM  Show Profile
The baby alligator is probably from the bigger alligator that was relocated baby. At least we hope it was. Alee, alligator will usually avoid humans, they'll usually run away, but when they are hungary or mating all bets are off. I mentioned once before, I was on the phone looking outside (Thank God) and I see my hubby working in his shop. The shop door was wide opened, and there was a huge 8 foot alligator right at the door looking at him. I threw the phone down, and ran outside screaming "AAAAligator!!!!!!!!!!!" I don't know whom I scared more, my hubby, the alligator, or my four cats. That alligator took off for the lake so fast that my hubby never got to see it.
Here is a picture of one of the smaller gators.
Marly

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Two Alligators Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page