Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Crape Myrtle Trees Next Topic  

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2012 :  9:56:37 PM  Show Profile
Tomorrow, I plan to trim 21 Crape Myrtle Trees. That's a lot of trimming!
Most people I know who trim C M T cut them about 2/3 of the way down from the top.
I don't. I go around the tree and trim branches that are hanging too low or crooked branches.
I also thin out the middle branches from the tree. Our trees usually bloom in late June.
If any of you have Crape Myrtles, how do you trim them?
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  05:41:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I pretty much do what you do, Marly. I'll take out dead branches and ones that are too low. Just kind of shaping it up. What kinds and colors do you have? I planted a few last year and I have some others I've planted over the years. They are all so beautiful. I sure don't have as many as you. You have a big job ahead with them. But they're worth it. ;)

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  09:05:51 AM  Show Profile
The Crape Myrtle Trees we have are reddish pink. The trimming doesn't take much time, it's the hauling away of the branches that takes a lot of time. Thanks for replying Janice.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  7:20:57 PM  Show Profile
I absolutely love crape myrtle trees. My mother grew up in San Antonio and said they were everywhere. I don't think they would survive our winters here in Missouri, but they are stunning.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1662 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1662 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  10:03:06 PM  Show Profile
I also trim my crape myrtles the same way you do Marly. They also bloom in late June and are beautiful.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart

http://www.etsy.com/people/lauriescott60
Aprons and More
Go to Top of Page

Debra B
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Debra
Thaxton VA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  02:19:10 AM  Show Profile
The crepe myrtle trees in our local town have just gotten trimmed to pieces. They look pretty terrible right now, but I guess they'll be nice by June.

Debra

Homeschooling mom to 6 beautiful blessings
Pastor Joe's wife
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  09:35:49 AM  Show Profile
I guess it takes less time to complete trim off the whole top, but I would rather take the extra time and trim the inside branches. Each his/her own.
Yes Laurie, in June, when the Crape Myrtles are blooming, it is just beautiful..
Marly

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Crape Myrtle Trees Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page