Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 sing this: ON THE ROAD AGAIN ...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic sing this: ON THE ROAD AGAIN ... Next Topic  

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2006 :  10:03:24 PM  Show Profile
heading for Jabez, Kentucky in the morning for a three day HERITAGE SKILLS RETREAT where I will be teaching doll-making. sooooo excited .. we are also have a 'show and sale' bazaar of our 'hand-dids' .. and i've made everything 'autumn-ish' .. and the 'vignettes' to display them has been such fun to gather. sure wish i had that darn camera battery to take pics. will let ya'll know all the fun we had when i get back late sunday night. hugs

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2006 :  03:51:47 AM  Show Profile
Frannie, have fun, teach them loads, and drive safely....no veering off the road when you see antiques signs (well, at least slow down and use your blinker)!! Hope somebody can make some pictures you can share with us later. Nance
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2006 :  04:39:48 AM  Show Profile
Have fun Frannie, take your medicine!!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2006 :  04:47:53 AM  Show Profile
Hey Frannie, sounds like fun, I was on your road most of the weekend, Kentucky is pretty! Didn't have a chance to stop or shop much but gas is cheaper and that's a good reason to get out and take a road trip! Can't wait to hear about your dollies! Drive safe!

www.sageflowerfarm.blogspot.com

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2006 :  05:29:41 AM  Show Profile
Have a great time, Frannie! It sounds like a great weekend!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2006 :  07:06:19 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
hope you have a great time,
glad to hear from you!

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2006 :  08:12:27 AM  Show Profile
Frannie -- You are giving me some serious wanderlust! Hoping to get on the road to Michigan, my home state, sometime this autumn. Need me some apples and some junking/antiquing! Have fun, gal (that's like asking a bird to sing!). Luv -- Katie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2006 :  3:29:21 PM  Show Profile
hey ya-ya's .. i'm hoooooooome! what a wonderful time i did have! left thursday morning ... antiqued my way to JABEZ, KY ... didn't find anything that made my heart go flip-flop though! but was really excited to get there and get all set up with my dolly-doin's! the Heritage Skills Conference was held at a most wonderful 'camp' .. surrounded by acres and acres of forest and went to the water's edge of the Cumberland River. I did manage to take a morning walk both Friday and Saturday mornings before breakfast.

I took a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeely wonderful and VERY "autumn" display .. with lots of sample dollies for the girls to be 'inspired' by .. and bundles of sweet annie to make the room smell yummy .. had pumpkins on the table which i had covered with a great olde autumn-hued quilt. Also had made cute vintage 'sacks' filled with dried herbs and flowers as a little token gift for each of my students. Took antique 'props' for the dollies to sit in and on. T'was truly sweet.

I had asked that my class be limited to four or five students because i wanted to be able to give everyone lots of time and attention and i wanted everyone to complete their dolly by day's end. I had five students and every dolly was finished and even had a 'name' be the end of class. Most of the women had never made a doll before (I used the same pattern that i have been sending to you girls .. and YES! i do believe i have some more SASE envelopes that i have to get more copies of the pattern to send along to you who have requested the pattern .. thanks soooooooo much for your patience.)
The girls were all soooo surprized that each dolly took on it's very own looks and personality .. and they all agreed it was like having 'another child' .. without all the birthing pains! I was thrilled that every student said she wanted to make MORE MORE MORE dollies!

There were about a hundred students who attended the two-day seminar and classes. I think about a dozen classes were offered (sometimes on both days). Basket Making .. Jewelry Making .. Painting on Gourds .. Painting on Glass .. and Etched Glass ... making wooden bird-houses ... tatting .. crochet and knitting ... and i think a few more. NOT all strictly 'heritage skills' .. but these were the classes that were voted on by prospective class-members and filled with students.

We had a fun 'bazaar' (well .. i THINK it was fun!!! cuz' after dinner on Friday .. i went back to my room to change my clothes for the evening .. and thought ... hmmmmmm .. i think i'll jus' lie down for a minute or two. WELL, my eyelids flapped open at 9:30 p.m.!!!!!!!!! I ran to the bazaar just in time to pick out a whole buncha' wonderful dried gourds ... lots of shapes and sizes!

Food was pretty good (except for the 'mystery meatloaf' we had for dinner Friday night ... I was told that i should have chosen the 'peach encrusted chicken .. cuz' it was delish!

I met lots of new friends and we all sat on the big front porch of the conference center and talked well into the night. I got lots of requests from various Homemaker's Clubs (this event is sponsored by the Kentucky Homemaker's Association) ... to teach a dolly class all over the state of KY.

My camera battery didn't make it here before i left .. soooo .. i didn't get to take lots of photos .. but i think some of the girls did take some pictures of the finished dollies for the Homemaker's Newsletter .. soooooo .. if i get ahold of one of the pics .. i'll try and post it.

The cute little country towns on the way back to the Cumberland Parkway was having lots of yard sales .. sooo .. i stopped at most of them. Have to admit .. most of it was jus' junky doo-dahs and used clothes! I did manage to stop at two farms .. and get a wonderful HUGE pully .. and fantastic hand-made wire basket .. two horse single trees .. two farm buckets .. and my favorite sale i stopped at was the farm of a very olde woman who's husband had died .. she, too, had all the 'frippery' that i wasn't interested in. i asked if she might have some olde 'rusty' farm tools. she said she had a 'corn planter' down in the shed below the hill .. and she would walk me there to see if i wanted it. Well, i'm tellin' you here and now gurlfrenz .. the weeds we're up to my nose .. and i had open toe sandals on. I inquired as to whether or not the weeds and shed were being homesteaded by colonies of SNAKES .. to which she simply replied: "I'll go first" ... on our trek down the hill ... me hanging onto her skirt-tail .. she commenced to tell me how she had recently chased two big snakes all over her basement and chopped 'em up with a hoe! It is a small wonder that i did not leap on her back and cling the rest of the way down the hill!!! She was OLDE .. but looked to be STURDY!!

We entered her dark shed with light only seeping through the cracks between the boards ... and she climbed up over (and I swear to you .. the woman had to be in her EIGHTIES!!!) ... piles of junk to get to the corn planter! (I already have one of these .. much nicer than the one she had .. but she said it was only ten dollars ... and there is NO way .. i was NOT going to buy it from her! HA! i even gave her twenty dollars for it .. figgered she'd surely earned it .. not only for tromping through those 'high weeds' and climbing a mountain of debris .. but just for the 'memory' and 'story' that came outta' my adventure with her! I did volunteer to carry it (along with two big buckets) back up the hill .. but i also offered to go FIRST .. and i do believe .. I have never moved that fast ever in my life! I left the poor woman in the weeds!

Finally, headed back home ... got to the town of Columbia and within 15 miles of my hometown of Greensburg on route 61 South .. discovered two shoppes i'd never noticed on this road before .. and i've been on this stretch of road at least 20 times since living down here. Mentioned to the owner of the second shoppe that I was trying to get back to town to visit the girls at Glovers' Station before heading home .. and she casually mentioned in her 'country manner' .. "well, honey, yore not gonna' get there before they close headin' in the direction yore headin' .. cuz' .. Greensburg is t'other way" .. well, CRAP! ... no wonder i had never seen these two stores before!!!
But, SERENDIPITY always reigns .. and i did find a wonderful hand-did birdhouse, some tools and rusty wire (the ole' man who owned the store went out back in his shed and brought me a spool of tangled, rusty wire .. my face just LIT UP .. and he and laughed and scratched his head and told me that was 'free-un' ... he'll probably be telling the tale of the 'city-slicker woman' wantin' old rusty wire for weeks! Didn't find any treasures at the second shoppe but had a delightful time talking with the owner!

Stopped at my own antiques mall, Glovers' Station and got a big bag of wonderful olde linens for my dolly-makins!

Home Sweet Home .. we were going to go back out tonight for dinner and a movie .. but there is ball game on tv that honey hunk is watchin' .. sooo .. i think i'll head to the kitchen to rustle up some vittles.

Had a grande time .. wish you'd all been able to be with me! hugs, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2006 :  3:44:56 PM  Show Profile
ANOTHER FUN TRIP FRANNIE, DO YOU WRITE THIS ALL DOWN? DID YOU COMMIT TO DOING MORE DOLL CLASSES? MAYBE TIME TO ENJOY THOSE NEW PORCHES OF YOURS IS IN ORDER!! OH LOOK, ALL CAPS AGAIN, DON'T LOOK UP WHEN I'AM TYPING.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2006 :  07:23:51 AM  Show Profile
miz nancy .. my 'kentucky ramblings' and my articles in mercantile gathering each issue .. are pretty much my 'journal' these days. i do keep them all in a file. soon's i get my printer hooked up .. i'm going to print them all out and put'em in a little notebook.

what with the autumn weather upon us .. we are very much enjoying those porches! while i was away .. hank said he slept on the screened porch ... we're both gonna' camp out there tonight .. AND .. he's yellin' upstairs at me that coffee is ready .. and to come on down and 'set a spell' .. (we kinda' rotate which porch we have our morning coffee on). think we'll sit on the front porch today and see if those baby kitties are brave enough to come out from under the schoolhouse to play in the yard.

today, i'm finishing up some of the dollies i started myself while at camp .. unpacking from my latest trip and RE-PACKING two suitcases .. one in case i have to head home to D.C. for my dad .. and one for when we head toward new GRAND-BABIES!!!

what are you up to today? xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2006 :  11:35:30 AM  Show Profile
Frannie,
Your such a riot, I was laughing so hard about your journey to the shed through the grass. Well gotta tell ya I would have been on the old ladies back from the get go!!!!! I dont like snakes and really dont like poison ones.
shirley
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic sing this: ON THE ROAD AGAIN ... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page