Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Why I love being a farmgirl...or not...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Why I love being a farmgirl...or not... Next Topic  

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2006 :  4:23:46 PM  Show Profile
I swear being a farmgirl can make you certifiable...
So my daughter and I take off early this morning to take her car in and to go to the chiro. We come home and as we pull into the driveway we have customers here. Great, don't even get a chance to change (should have known it would go downhill from there). So I go to help them, and in the meantime Christie comes in the house to get ready for work and lets out a very "excited that her people are home" Lily (our young lab). So I take these snotty people down to the greenhouse to get tomatoes and eggplants and lo and behold the chickens have gotten out...not a couple, oh no...all fifty of 'em. To Lily... yeehaw...party time with the chickens! So I politely excuse myself and with as much dignity as I can muster, grab Lily and put her in the other side of the barn...where she proceeds to complain like her hind leg is cut off.

It gets better...

So I get rid of these people and head down to the field to gather up chickens and let Lily out of the barn. BUT, I have the presence of mind to grab Lily's collar and leash first. So down I go and put Lily's collar on her and tie her to the hitch on the dumpcart and proceed to catch chickens. So I'm chasing chickens around and the sweat is dripping off my forehead. Lily has decided to help and charges after chickens with dumpcart in tow. Now the big black monster (dumpcart) is going to eat her so she makes a beeline around the other side of the pool where she knocks over the ladder and sends a lawn chair flying and hides in the rhubarb with the dumpcart now on it's side. Meantime I have managed to catch two chickens... one under my arm and one dangling by it's feet...and what do ya know...there is a lady standing there watching the fiasco. In a very soothing voice she asks if she could just have a bouquet of flowers.

So now this has struck me as hilarious and I can't stop laughing. The lady left, bouquet in hand, but I doubt I'll see her again.

Di

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2006 :  5:37:45 PM  Show Profile
Di-
I am sorry to tell you that I am splitting my sides laughing. Oh my gosh, when it rains it pours on you, doesn't it? Hope you were able to catch ALL of the runaways!
Here's to a better tomorrow.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2006 :  5:44:11 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
You know it was a weird day but now you have a story to tell for generations to come.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2006 :  5:48:47 PM  Show Profile
That is such a great story! If I had been the flower lady I would have laughed like crazy, then helped you gather those loose chickens!!
Kate

http://theknifemakerswife.blogspot.com/2006/07/knifemakers-wife.html
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2006 :  7:01:30 PM  Show Profile
Ohmygosh, that was a good one! I can totally picture this flower lady asking for the bouquet but not quite sure what to make of the scene...what a riot! Glad you were able to laugh about it, I'm also laughing out loud!!

Catherine

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2006 :  9:45:32 PM  Show Profile
diane .. you had me giggling as i flittered and skittered down memory lane of how our olde english sheepdogs LOVED to chase chickens .. when we lived in colorado .. and i'd have to try and beat them to the ladies .. less they turn into 'chicken chow'!

i'll jus' bet you the 'bouquet' lady WILL be back to enjoy the show again sometime!

xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2006 :  1:17:12 PM  Show Profile
Diane,

So funny!!! Sorry, but that story is a gem. Lily is a hoot.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2006 :  1:27:38 PM  Show Profile
Now hear this Ms. Daisy Farm...you had a "colorful" adventure and the next time you see that flower lady charge her double because now she knows how hard you work! I bet she comes back too. I would; just to see what other "antics" you get up to! You deserve a big bouquet yourself !

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2006 :  8:24:09 PM  Show Profile
Diane - you had me laughing out loud at this one - I can only imagine... I'm with bramble - I'll bet that lady returns just to see what's happening next at your farm!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  11:27:42 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing that story. I got a kick out of it, too!

Make sure you record THAT in your journal; 30 years from now it will still be funny!

Jo
Go to Top of Page

Lovin Life
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Lisa
New Hampshire
103 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2006 :  7:06:06 PM  Show Profile
Diane,

She's probably wishing her life was as exciting as yours I know at times like that, even though it's crazy...I wouldn't want it any other way. Life would be boring if everything worked out perfectly. Your dog sounds like she keeps you hopping!

I'd rather live my life with a "full plate" than an empty one. Life is not a rehearsal... eat up!
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Why I love being a farmgirl...or not... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page