Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2012 :  5:05:30 PM  Show Profile
I have 8 chicks about 10 days to 2 weeks old. I have to work tomorrow and will be gone 12 hours. I am very uncomfortable leaving the heat light on for so long with no one home. They are in a large dog kennel, the kind you use when your pet flies. I have wood shavings. My question is, if I leave the house at 70 degrees and cover the top with the blanket, will the be ok? I think they will be warm enough but I am not sure.
Thank you!

....it's what's inside a women, when she's up against the land.

Farmgirl #680!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/lessielouise22

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2012 :  6:29:18 PM  Show Profile
make sure they have no draft on them, but at the same time, make sure they are getting fresh air, and that they have plenty of food and water...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2012 :  8:33:33 PM  Show Profile
my concern is the drop of temp required to get the heater to come back on. i would set it high. spend the money on the energy bill. the really do mean it when they say 90. when you have the lamp on them, can they get out away from the lamp. too hot is not good either think baby. once they are feathering out some i turn the light off in day. i think yours are too young to do that. they stress easily. i hope this helps. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2012 :  8:38:06 PM  Show Profile
One of the things you might want to do is take a bunch of old towels & bunch them up in areas of the kennel for them to nest into...this will help quite alot as they will climb into them if cold but if get hot can move away from them...just make sure you have more water & feed for them while you are gone...I would put the water dishes on pie pans so they can't get the shavings into the water while you are gone. The blanket idea is good but keep at least the door area uncovered for free air like Tina says...I understand hating to leave them for that long but with feed/water & extra towels they will do just fine....but I am sure they will be glad to see you when you get home....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
http://theoldbatzfarm.blogger.com
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  08:45:46 AM  Show Profile
Good advice all! I did leave them with the light on, set back a bit and tossed in a towel, which they played "King of the Mountain" on. They were fine when I got home. Thank you all for your prompt advice!

....it's what's inside a women, when she's up against the land.

Farmgirl #680!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/lessielouise22
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Emergency chick question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page