chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2012 :  8:27:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies, I would like your opinon on canning jars.
Just recently a dear friend gave me boxes and boxes of old canning jars, the the type that use a rubber gasket, have a glass top and that wire thing that goes over the top. My question is do you think that they are safe to use for canning? I've never canned before and this will be my first try. Also she gave me a HUGE canner it is rectangle, covers two burners and was her first canner (she is almost 90) it looks to be in good shape, do you think that is safe too?
Thanks for any input
Liz

Wanna be farm girl in my heart, semi- city girl in life

Edited by - chick-chick on Mar 03 2012 08:32:12 AM

Hoosiermom
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Beth
Alexandria IN
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2012 :  05:19:03 AM  Show Profile
My mother in law gave me some of those jars recently. I don't can with them, not sure if I trust the old rubber gasket or not. but they are great for storage & decorating. I store macaroni, oatmeal, rice, beans, popcorn, just about anything dry you can think of. I love them!

Beth
Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2012 :  5:33:12 PM  Show Profile
I don't know much about canning with them either, but I just wanted to say what a lucky lady you are! Like Beth, I like to use them for storing my rice, noodles, ect. I found a few jars at a second hand store and thought they were a steal for $2.50 each, but other than that, i've only seen them in antique shops. They are not cheap! I'm envious of you! If you can't use them for canning, I hope you find a good home for them in your pantry!
Go to Top of Page

Pearlsnjeans
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Vicki
West Haven Utah
USA
248 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2012 :  5:47:08 PM  Show Profile
Liz, I agree with Emily - you are a lucky lady! Before using the canner or jars, you may want to check with your local extension office. They will be able to answer your questions and check the canner for safety.

Vicki
Farmgirl Sister #120
Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps if you are not willing to move your feet.
Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  08:41:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies, you have given me some food for thought. I will check with our local extension office to see what info I can get from them. I wonder if lead could be a concern with a canner that old. I wish I had enought room to display all the jars she gave me, maybe i'll have to start to reorganize thing so I can use them for storage.

Go to Top of Page

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  3:36:18 PM  Show Profile
I bought some of those old jars with the baling thing at an estate sale and I only use them for decoration.

SAHM mom to four great boys.

http://ksfarnsworth.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1501 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1501 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  6:33:30 PM  Show Profile
Liz, you can still purchase new rubber gaskets for your canning jars. Lehmans.com has them on their website.

I have a new canning & preserving book that suggests the wire-bail style jars should not be used for boiling water bath processing, but they are suitable for storing refridgerated sauces and dry goods. It doesn't say anything about pressure canning.

Hope this helps!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by - edlund33 on Mar 03 2012 6:41:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  05:57:03 AM  Show Profile
I'm not sure, but I think those are the type they still use in Europe for canning. Like Marilyn said, just get new gaskets for them!?!

Here, I did a little research and found this site: http://www.foodinjars.com/2011/03/canning-101-how-to-can-using-weck-jars-giveaway/

Have fun!!!
~April

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

Hoosiermom
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Beth
Alexandria IN
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  09:38:11 AM  Show Profile
I also used a couple of them as vases...they are great for silk or fresh flowers
Beth
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  09:44:32 AM  Show Profile
I don't think I would use the jars for canning. But I think the canner would be fine if it is in good shape.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2012 :  1:12:30 PM  Show Profile
Well I cleaned out a bunch of jars and put my nuts, granola and such in them they sure look nice that way. I haven't found much info from our extension office, but I'll keeping working on it.
Thanks April for the website I just checked it out I may even order her cook book.

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning jars Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page