Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 So Excited!!! Getting the garden going.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic So Excited!!! Getting the garden going. Next Topic
Page: of 2

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  4:13:02 PM  Show Profile
I went to Home Depot today and bought a brand spankin' new tiller!!!! And I have already tilled 4 wide rows and plantes 200' of spinach and 200' of kale! I need to work on the soil some more before I plant beets and onions. But I am ready now! I am fencing in the 2 gardens to keep the sheep out. I'll do the one I am working on right now tomorrow. I bought 200' of woven wire fencing. Then I'll need to make a chicken coop area so I can keep the chickens put up during tomato and red bell pepper season.

So now I can concentrate on my CSA business. I have needed a new dependable tiller that I can start myself since I am the one doing this. I went to the elementary school this morning to deliver a freind some eggs and asked her if she would be interested in joining my CSA. There were 2 other ladies in the office that were interested too! And another friend as well. I want to start small and see how much I can handle. Plus I want to go to the farmer's market on Wed. Then I'll do the CSA on Sat.

I am so excited to finally be getting this going. I have been thinking about it for a few years now. Just needed some good equipment. I think this will help me alot.

And I might get some Girl Scouts coming out to visit and see where their food is coming from! I told the leader that I will have baby lambs and goats in a few weeks. And chicks too. And hopefully some garden veggies will be coming up by then.

This is what I have needed to get me motivated. And up off my bum.

Does anyone else do CSA and farmer's markets? I'd love to hear how you got started.

Oh, the weather is in the 60's and low 70's this week and in the 40's and 50's at night. But rain coming. Which is fine if I can get the beets and onions planted.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Mar 07 2012 12:54:13 PM

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Emily
Chambersburg PA
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  4:38:34 PM  Show Profile
You rock Kristin, please share which tiller you got. And the best of luck and pray for rain!

---
Farmgirl #2951
No longer renting, offical farmgirl.
Check out my new blog at http://featheredhattrading.blogspot.com/
And my new Etsy listings http://www.etsy.com/shop/alterationsbyemily
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  4:53:08 PM  Show Profile
Emily, it's a Cub (or Club?) Cadet. Bright yellow. Rear tine which I love. I am so used to my old Troy rear tine tiller that when I use my little tiller with the front tines, I am about dead after a few rows. I am all shaken up and worn out. This one I can walk beside and it does most of the work itself. i just need to guide it along. It's 18" wide and it's about 6' long. Really nice machine. Now we'll see if it will last as long as my old Troy, which is way over 40 years old. I doubt it, the way things are made these days. But it has a total 3 year warrenty. Which is great because I tend to be a little rough on things.

So back out there bright and early in the morning to do more tilling and fence work. It feels so good to be doing something again!

As much rain as we have had this winter, I think we will be set for the summer. It's still too wet in some spots but I'll do a little at a time.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  5:08:45 PM  Show Profile
Kris
How much was that? & do you hve the model #? Hubs & I want to till some new areas, & we will borrow one (we have an ancient one that is nearly impossible to maneuver), but I would love some input on one that is tried & true by a hardworking gal like you!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  5:11:37 PM  Show Profile
Great news Kris. You'll have a really nice garden. Happy tilling.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  5:29:37 PM  Show Profile
oh yipee for you kris, how exciting i am happy for you. i would be so jazzed to get a new tiller. i think you will do great with a csa. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  6:50:42 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Kris! Sounds like you have an exciting spring coming!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  7:10:13 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, Home Depot only had 3 bigger tillers with the rear times. The one I got was $800. BUT, this is the first new big tiller we have had. The Troy we have had so long was very used when we got it 32 years ago. And I loved that tiller. This one is alot like it. Very easy to handle. And so far easy to start. And I have already saved $300. by not having to hire someone to come plow for me. So they had another one there that was smaller and the same tilling width, 18", for $600. The one I got is a belt drive where the other one was chain drive where it would have to have gear oil put in.

I know this will help me so much just to have something dependable. Can't wait to get out there and till some more. I have big plans!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  7:18:21 PM  Show Profile
Kris,
I think you have a much bigger area than us, but that sounds like some money well spent. Do you have the model #?
I want to get some idea what is out there, & I trust your judgement..
200' of spinach & kale??? Now that is my kinda gal!!!
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  06:02:03 AM  Show Profile
How exciting to get going on your CSA Kris!! And what fun to have a tiller you can handle yourself - I think that is the single most frustrating thing for me regarding home repairs; having to wait on a recalcitrant husband:)
Have fun!!

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  06:16:44 AM  Show Profile
That's awesome, Kris! I can't wait to hear more about your CSA and the people you meet. Our CSA has been really wonderful, but they've limited the family shares this year and it's gone up about $150.00. I'm hoping I can swing it, but I'm not sure.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  06:20:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Is it electric start, Kris? It's only a dream for me to have a tiller I could actually start and run myself. I'll have to check on this at HD.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  07:50:48 AM  Show Profile
Janice, it is not electric start. But really easy to start pulling the rope. I was a little concerned about the rope being so long but it's good now. I just tilled 2 more 3' wide rows this morning. It is SO easy to handle. Have you tried a smaller Troy tiller? I really love the rear tines. The front times will tear you up and wear you out in no time. They are rough. And hard to handle. I will always have rear tine.

Lisa, the model is 21AB45M5056 and this is under that 887-370, It's a Cub Cadet RT 65.

Ok, I really love this tiller but I have 1 complaint. On my Troy it was so easy to adjust the depth of the tines. No problem at all. But this one, I have to put it in Neutral, lift it up, lift up the flap thing, then pull out a cotter pin, then a pin that holds the adjuster thing on, Then either pull it up or down, then try to get the pin back in with only 2 hands, One of which is trying to keep the holes lined up, then put the cotter pin back in. Good grief! I need 4 hands. A man must have designed this tiller. They could have made this so much easier. It takes a good 2-3 minutes with the engine running. I should probably turn it off while doing all this to save gas.

Other than that, I love it. It's so much like the Troy in all ways except that. It is a bog boy but I have alot of garden to till. That other model would probably be better for smaller gardens. And smaller farm gals.

Jonni, that sounds really high. What all do you get? I am planning on having beef, lamb, pork, chicken, eggs, goat milk and goat and hopefully sheep cheeses. Plus the veggies and fruits too. I might have to do 2 separate CSA's. One for veggies and one for all the rest. Not sure just yet. And if it's going to be too high then I'll just do the markets. I can get a small freezer or a large cooler to take the meats in.

So off now to plant onions and beets!!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  11:21:54 AM  Show Profile
Oh Kris I am so excited for you. I love getting new equipment for my gardening. I have a small massey fergusen tractor that my husband got for me a couple of years ago. It was old and needed some mechanicing done on it. Thank goodness he is a good mechanic when it comes to Tractors. Then he found a small roto tiller for it. It made gardening so much easier. My dream one day is to have a brand new Massey in the 1600 series with an air conditioning cab. My husband was worried when he got me this little tractor and was afraid I was going to Till up the whole 5 acres that is not fenced in. If I was to get my dream tractor it would really worry him LOL Never hurts to dream......I hope you reap great rewards on your gardening...Good Luck with your new Tiller...

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  2:04:04 PM  Show Profile
Dorinda, I would love a tractor. It would have to be small because we only have 3 acres. But it would be used for sure.

I got a half row of the sweet onions and a whole row of red onions. The sweet onions are bigger so I'll have to get 2 more pounds. And 2 rows of beets. And there were 3 hens out there this afternoon. It looks like rain soon. So glad I got this done at least. I am going to plant lettuce down the kale and spinach rows in the middle. That way the lettuce will be shaded if it gets too warm.

It's looking good so far!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  7:46:02 PM  Show Profile
WOw Kris-
Just saw this post and read all of the thread.
Horray for you! I am excited FOR you! I admire your ambition, and knowledge too. I wish you a great success with your CSA- sure wish I lived closer to you- I know I would join in! I looked at a CSA here and the closest one to me wants between 600-800 for the season. I was in shock, that was just veggies- and if you wanted to add fruit it was an additional $150! OUCH
I decided to expand my own raised beds and see how much more I can grow on my own. Each year gardening is a learning experience, and I am learning what we eat and what we dont and what preserves well via freezing and canning etc. The plan so far this year is for lots of Green peppers, sugar snap peas, green beans, broccoli, zucchini,tomatoes,carrots,basil,cukes,lettuce, strawberries, and I'm sure I will add to it, but those are definates.
Keep us posted on your progress- it sure sounds like you are off to a great start!
Congratulations!

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2012 :  05:11:14 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Laurie. I have done the market before and did really well financially. But the last 2 years didn't do it. But this year I am back in the mood and am really excited to be doing this again. And I have thought about CSA's for years now but never knew how much to charge. I want people to be able to afford this but then I need to make money too. I am so bad about not getting enough money when I sell things. Like my 2 goats I sold a few weeks ago. I was asking $100. for the Nubian buck who was not even a year old yet and $75. for the almost year old wether. This young guy came to look at them and said he could only give me so much for them. And of course I took it. And these goats were werth the price. I was not asking too much. SO I have learned my lesson there. I am sticking with my price for the sheep and goats from now on. If that person won't pay then the next one will.

And I think $800. for the season is not a bad price if you divide that between say 8 months, that's just $25.oo a week for fresh just picked and probably delivered produce. Then you add the $150. for fruit and I think that's a great deal. If you go to the grocery store you will pay more plus get more things you don't need while there. And who knows where that came from or how long ago. And how much stuff is put on it to keep it looking like it came that day. And most people will let you pay part of it at a time. I have seen where you might could pay half up front then the rest as you go. So now that I see this it's not so bad. And I think most people go with family size too. Like it's cheaper for 2 people than 4. So I will ponder some more on the pricing.

And a few years ago I added up what I actually made in one day going to the market. It is 25 miles from here. Plus I spent 8 hours picking and getting things ready to go. And I was there 3 1/2 hours. That day with my sales I figured I made .50 an hour. So yeah, farmers are very underpaid and get all kinds of flack for "charging too much". If only people knew what goes into getting that tomaote or those green beans to you. And green beans are the most time consuming thing to pick. And field peas too. So I really don't feel bad about what I charge. And I am not directing this to anyone. But I need to hear this myself.

It rained some last night and looks like it will any minute now. I got all the animals fed and the garden started so it can. But i think they are saying we will be stormy later today.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2012 :  05:13:36 AM  Show Profile
Laurie, I forgot to ask if that is the set price you pay for the whole thing? And do you have to pay any when you get the food?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2012 :  11:45:35 AM  Show Profile
Kris, I love your attitude. I don't think there's anything you won't try and darned if you aren't succesful at them! Many blessing on your garden this year!

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2012 :  3:48:48 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Audrey. That's nice. I do love to garden. How is the new puppy doing? I went to an old book store in downtown Chattanooga today. I was walking by it on the way to the Aquarium and saw a lady spinning wool. So on the way back I stopped and at the door was what looked like a Cairn. Daisy Mae. She was a sweetie. Anyway, I am going back for free spinning lessons next week!!!

I also went to Lowes and got some organic seeds. Cucumbers, Swiss chard, straight and crookneck squash and zucchini. I'll plant the Swiss chard when I get another row tilled. And order lettuce seeds from Johnny's. A friend is ordering purple potatoes and some other colors and we'll split those. I will get them planted soon. This is so fun!

It's supposed to be stormy tonight. I hate night storms.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2012 :  2:00:40 PM  Show Profile
The new pup is doing very well considering he has never been a house dog. He's a lover and lets me hold him and snuggle. Something Hobbs would never have put up with.

I'm so jealous of you already being able to plant! My garden still has lots of snow in it and more is expected this weekend. Boo! Hiss! I did start some cabbage (red and green) and cauliflower indoors and they have sprouted already. This weekend I'll start some broccoli, brussel spouts and the like. We've got a short growing season here so this year I'm trying to get a head start by starting my seeds indoors. I'd like to have a big garden this year and can't afford my usual transplants bought at the garden store so thought I'd try my own.

By the way, the Jan/Feb issue of Hobby Farms has an article on starting a CSA. If you haven't seen it I'd be happy to scan it and email you a copy next week.

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2012 :  4:19:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi Audrey. I am so glad you and the new puppy are hitting it off so well. I bet he's a sweetie. There are some people wanting to know how things are going over in the Barnyard section.

I'll look on line right now for that article. Thanks. If I can't find it then yes, I would love to see it. I'll let you know.

I had bought a flat of cabbage plants yesterday and left them outside on my shearing stand to water them. This morning as I was walking by I just about fell over. There was not a single leaf on any of those plants. those darn chickens ate them all. I am so mad at them. ANd at me for not thinking. Darn it. $22.00 of chicken feed. And I bet it took 2 minute flat for them to eat them all. Maybe less. Darned old chickens. That's alot of eggs to lay to make that much.

I hope you get your seeds all up and going. I had a small greenhouse before and would love another. It sure saves time and money to grow your own seeds.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  07:17:40 AM  Show Profile
wow kris, you always say how busy i am. WELL GIRL i say your a busy farmgirl. what a fine thing your going to do. now the tiller i have envy. i had a mantis. she stopped last fall. i need electric since i am sensitive to exhaust. when i was real sick papa even extended the exhaust pipe on our tractor. that way it was above my face and nose. i could run it longer then. with your happy bubbly personality you will do great with a csa. its the whole farm experience they want. IMHO if it is allowed i would bring baby chicks or a baby goat when you can. the animals would draw folks to your booth. kids love baby animals. where theres kids there are parents. i sure am sorry to hear about your cabbage. i had to laugh though. it sounds like something i would do AUDREY i know that little dog has the best home ever. happy days to you girls sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  11:43:55 AM  Show Profile
You go, girl!!! Do you mind if I ask what brand tiller you purchased? I have had the worst luck with tillers. The little one that I loved couldn't handle my big garden and it died. The big one, which I purchased at Sears, bounces all over the place and I have never gotten the "hang" of how to use it. I need a female-friendly tiller.

Thanks, Karen

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  2:12:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kris, I've been so busy with family and friends visiting, that I haven't been on the "farm" for a bit! So happy that you got a new, big tiller and your garden sounds amazing :)! I have started some seeds in my "cabin room" in a plastic tub, trying to play it safe with the weather. This warm weather probably won't last all month!
Sending big hugs,
Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  4:09:21 PM  Show Profile
The grands have been here all weekend and when they are here it's go go go all the time. But it's fun. We went to the Aquarium yesterday with my youngest Dd and today went to get the grand's hair cut. I spend too much money when they are here. I need to learn how to say NO!

Sherrye, I don't know who sells electric tillers. They's have to have pretty big motoers to do the job. Last year when Earl the ram was just a few weeks old, I took him to the market to see the people I got him from. You should have seen the attention he got. Kids and adults all over him.

Karen, it's a Cub Cadet. I got it at Home Depot. It's really a smooth machine. I will be using it alot this week. It's supposed to be clear all week. But COLD! And the weather man even said the S word for tomorrow night. NO!

Hello Ruth, you stranger you. You have been a busy lady. You need to come back for a visit here and see the lambs and kids. They will be having them any day now. I was just out talking to my ewes and the 3 Katahdin ewes are all getting udders. So exciting! And Abby and Sandy should have their kids any day too. So they'll all be born about the same time. I do hope they don't have them at night. It's in the 30's. I might need to make some lamb sweaters. I hope all your seeds come up.

I saw some kale coming up this morning while I was checking things out in the garden. No spinach yet.

15 days til spring!!!!!!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic So Excited!!! Getting the garden going. Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page