Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up
 Stuck On Bible Study Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Stuck On Bible Study Question Next Topic  

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  4:30:29 PM  Show Profile
The following question appeared in my Bible study today, and I'm having trouble grasping the real meaning of the answer: "How do our weaknesses and needs provide a showcase for God's power?"

The answer is, "By giving strength to endure and even rejoice in tribulation."

I'm still not grasping the concept, though, in practical terms. Can anyone provide me with an example? Like, if a woman is diagnosed with terminal cancer, how does this provide a showcase for God's power? And how does that relate to grace, which is the topic of the chapter?

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  4:55:05 PM  Show Profile
This is a touchy question and it depends on which side of the faith and grace side of the fence you are on.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  6:11:08 PM  Show Profile
Oh, sorry...I didn't mean to any create controversy. I am a newly practicing Christian and am working independently on a Bible study ("Seeking Him: Experiencing the Joy of Personal Revival" by Nancy Lee DeMoss and Tim Grissom). I know a lot of Farmgirls have studied the Bible for a long time and might be able to offer some insight. Again, sorry...didn't realize this was a delicate subject.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  7:21:15 PM  Show Profile
Jessie, Don't ever be sorry for wanting to learn more about God. God will always be a touchy subject for some people (not speaking of Cherime....just people in general.) I wish I had a more educated answer for you, but I don't. I mean, how can a person rejoice in people dying, wars, starvation? My first thought when I read this was that when something bad is going on in your life, in other people's lives, or in the world is that you never lose faith in God and respond to that situation in a way that is pleasing to God. To be quite honest, I understand the question and the answer separate, but having that answer to that specific qestion kind of throws me off.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you, but i'm sure there will be a farmgirl that will. I mainly just responded because I wanted to tell you not to be sorry! Some of these subjects are very hard to grasp!

Em
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  08:55:34 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Em.
Jessie, the first think I was sure that God told me was to "learn". There is so much that only you can glean from scripture. One of the things that held me back from the Father for years was that bit about how can a loving God....fill in the blank. The answer that I got came from the scripture and my searching of it. We have free will and therefore we allow....fill in the blank. That turned my head and heart around. When my DH died I needed God more than anything and He was always there for me. When my car was on it's last legs, God pointed me in the right direction and there was a truck. In our weakness he is strong. That is the way I read that one. I try to keep it simple. Me, the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. I lean on them and praise them/God for what He accomplishes in my life and in me. Hope this helps a little.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  10:35:43 AM  Show Profile
I'm not sure this answers the questions but here are the examples that came to me from my own life.
I had been a Christian for a long time but had fallen away from faith in my 20s when I married my ex-husband. 2 years later I had our daughter. Still not a praticing Christian at that point. Left a BAD marriage (another story) and planned to just raise my daughter when 2 weeks after I left him I found out I was 3 weeks pregnant with our 2nd child. Terrible time. Long story shorter, I had the baby who was born criticially ill and I almost died having her. I can remember my mother crying and saying to me "what do we do now about the baby?" I remember it like it was yesterday. I said "Mom, I have done all I can do. She is in Gods hands now"-and she was. That was all it took for me to get my Christian faith back and praticing. My baby lived only 2 days and yet she did the most amazing thing-she brought me back to God. I also know that had she lived my older daughter probably would not have gone thru Christian school, not had the attention she needed, I would not have moved back near my family where she was raised with a bunch of people who loved her. God took that bad situation from me and made it for my good.
Secondly, 2 years ago, my DH and i were travelling the country and having a ball. My father lived in Florida and became ill enough that we gave up the travel life we were enjoying and moved to Florida. I
was not close to my parents but felt called from God to go and care for my father. My little GD asked me "Nana, whay are you taking care of Poppy? He isn't even nice to you." Before I could even think about it I said "The Bible says to honor your father and mother and it doesn't mention anything about only doing that if they are nice to you. This is where the Bible and God say I should be."..and she understood it. What a teaching moment of faith and service. My Dh and I were with my father for the last 18 months that he lived. I was not always gracious about it but I think God gave me strength to endure and I am so grateful to have had that time with him. I do not think this was ever about "me" but only about God.
It is a very interesting question and I don't know if I made anything any clearer but I think God uses us without us even knowing it sometimes for his purposes that we may not see. I'd love to hear what others think on this. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  4:15:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jessie, I don't think we have ever spoken. Sometimes the Bible can be so mysterious. I applaud you in that you are not giving up but seeking to have some understanding. God does so many things for so many reasons, we can not pin Him down in trying to explain the depth of the scripture. There are however principles that are true throughout. God created Adam & Eve and would come from His place in Heaven each evening to "commune" with them. That was just not talking, but communing the affairs of the heart and spirit. However, sin entered the picture and Adam and his family had to leave the garden. Sin broke the communicating that God had so desired. His desires are still the same. He wants that personal, heart to heart relationship that was cut so short in the garden. Often, we do not seek God as we should, but when a painful situation enters into our life, we have a tendency to get closer to God. He may not change the circumstance (often He does...called a miracle), but most often He changes our heart and relationship with Him...just what He wanted with Adam & Eve.

Those miracles can occur... as Paul said in 2 Corin 12:9 "But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." Paul did extraordinary things... powered by God. I am also reminded of the wonderful story of Daniel 3... of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. It was in their turmoil of being placed in the fiery furnace, that God showed His strength. They came out unscathed. It is amazing that others saw 4 men in that furnace. Some have saud that it was Jesus keeping them strong. I know that in my mind it is uncomplicated, but in putting it down...it may seem very garbled to you! Blessings!

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl Sister #870 @}~~
"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." DL Moody

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  5:27:27 PM  Show Profile
The only thing with this question is many people will have many answers.

In my study of the Bible this is how I see it-

God NEVER causes any one pain-cancer, disease, etc. God loves us and doesn't want us to suffer, but rather to repent, and have ever lasting life, that is good, and not full of pain.

Right now we go through these things because of Adam and Eve's sin, in doing so it's showing us the need for God in our lives. Some day though, I believe Isaiah, Psalms and Revelation will come true, all these things-death, sorrow, pain, tears, will be done away with, and we will have peace, and joy always. Rev. 21:3,4

However, right now these are real things we are experiencing, and we can see God's power, not in the cancer, or the pain itself, but in the way he can comfort us through these things, hold our hands, and bring others to our rescue when needed, sometimes a friend just at the right time.

Here's a true story of my own, my Grandmother had to have open heart surgery emergency. We lived in Kansas, and she in Texas, she hadn't lived there long and she lived in a small town, had to go to the big city to have surgery. We didn't know any one there, as far as we knew. We went ahead and sought out a congregation of our faith to attend though when it was time. We went, and what do you know, they had a new minister just assigned there-his first day! And wouldn't you know it, he was from OUR congregation in Kansas! We knew him. My mom had been praying that we could just have one person we knew to be with us, and he said he had been praying to look out at his new congregation and recognize one face! Both prayers were answered! The next day at the hospital MANY sisters were sent to visit grandma who was not a "christian", and to visit our family while we were there. Amazing!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  6:22:23 PM  Show Profile
I have to say I liked reading the stories :). They made me smile today.

I think the "grace" part of it is accepting the situation for what it is, regardless of whether or not you like it. Like instead of throwing a hissy fit or temper tantrum (which can be expected in certain circumstances for sure! I know I would like to & have done so in the past!), praying about it, accepting it, calmly, openly. I know this is all way easier said than done, but to me that's what grace is. You don't have to like it, or agree with it, but on the other hand, don't be 3 years old about it, right? God is all powerful, He can do anything & everything, we just have to believe.

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  09:16:26 AM  Show Profile
Well said ladies. The things that do come to us that are not nice are certainly part of living in a fallen world. I was quite positive that God did not cause my DH to get sick and die. But I am glad and grateful that God has him safely in his hand. That is a joy and a blessing. As it says "all good things come from the Father of lights".

CMF
Go to Top of Page
  Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Stuck On Bible Study Question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page