Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Need Advice on how to handle Neighbor's dog
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Need Advice on how to handle Neighbor's dog Next Topic  

mudpony farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Jo

USA
57 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  07:09:22 AM  Show Profile
So we are lucky enough to have wonderful neighbors who are very sweet and have helped us out a lot with our farm. Lately, however, their little spaniel has been coming over and using our driveway and our front step as a potty. I'd just been scooping it up, but last night the boyfriend came home and didn't see it in the dark, ended up stepping in it with suede shoes and tracking it all over the house before he realized it was on his shoe. This is especially frustrating as we spent good money and time building a run for our two dogs so we wouldn't have to worry about this.I don't want to seem ungrateful but this is getting very annoying. I wouldn't mind if she was going out in our fields, but right next to the house is a bigger problem. Any suggestions for how to tactfully approach my neighbors?

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  08:14:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Have you tried any scent deterant first to make the dog want to stay away from your house? I know there is a spray you can get at pet stores?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  08:20:06 AM  Show Profile
spaniels are hunting dogs and have sensitive noses, get some dryed hot chili peppers, soak them in hot water, put said water in spray bottle, and spray where ever the dog has been going...if that does not work, then just call your neighbors over for a poop scoop party, they might not know its happening...good luck

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  08:40:53 AM  Show Profile
Sprinkle black pepper or cayenne pepper powder over all the spots where the dog has left its scent. It is returning to renew its "mark" reclaiming its "territory.

Most dogs go potty in the same area, marking their territory as theirs to keep other dogs away.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

mudpony farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Jo

USA
57 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  06:54:24 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the deterant idea, I hadn't thought of that. I will give it a try as soon as the snow melts!
Go to Top of Page

oregonatural
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Susan
Sprague River OR
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  07:26:59 AM  Show Profile
I've tried the deterrent. They just keep coming back to mark. I even had my husband leave his 'mark' (teehee) and that didn't work either. You know what worked? A wrist rocket. ONE time, a little PING on the rump about when they were taking a squat and they NEVER came back. I know it's not the PC thing to do, but sometimes, you have to do what works.
Susan

My off-grid homestead blog: http://oregonnatural.blogspot.com/
ETSY Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/OregonNatural
Blessings to you from my mountain girl heart!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  08:38:24 AM  Show Profile
I like Tina's idea, a scoop party. As a neighbor, I would give her a call and let her know what's happening.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  09:06:40 AM  Show Profile
I would just ask her to keep a better eye on her dog because he/she could get run over during her trip to your house or possibly dog napped. That maybe all you need to cure the problem.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

jessabelluh
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Jessica
South Dakota
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  12:19:25 PM  Show Profile
I would just be honest and tell them what you told us. Let them know that you appreciate them as friends and neighbors but explain the situation.

~jess
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  1:13:42 PM  Show Profile
Well good neighbors are hard to come by so I would sure be very tactful and gentle when bringing it up if I said anything at all,like the old quote that you should keep a small graveyard in your mind to bury the faults of your friends :) I think I might be inclined to keep quiet and just clean it up myself.That being said though I think loose dogs are a plague upon us as I have had livestock killed,neighborhood and family feuds over loose nuisance dogs so I don't think anyone should assume that it is alright to let thier dog just run loose,that is an invitation for them to get into some kind of trouble or get run over or shot by people (like me :) who are not terribly fond of man's so-called best friend (gag) so next time you talk to your friend you might say that you were concerned about his safety since you see him alot at your place,she may not even be aware he is running around so far and might lead also to an opening to discussing your poo problem with her in a very comfortable way for the both of you.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Need Advice on how to handle Neighbor's dog Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page