chickenladycris
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Cris
Prairie Farm WI
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  4:51:40 PM  Show Profile
Hey girls! I am getting all geared up to try tapping my maples this year. I can hardly wait to make my own syrup from my own trees! Here's my question though: How do you store syrup? I'm planning to can it, but do I water bath? Pressure can? Jar it and freeze it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

--Cris
chickenladysgreatadventures.blogspot.com

"A farmgirl can never have enough chickens!"--me

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4186 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4186 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  05:17:02 AM  Show Profile
This is how I do it......cook outside as long as possible, bring it inside, strain and test with a hydrometer. Keep it boiling on the stove until it tests done. Then I put it right into canning jars, and put the lids and screw the bands on, and wait for the lids to pop. I am sure I will raise some eyebrows, I usually do, but have done it this way for 40 years.
goodluck
Michele
Go to Top of Page

mudpony farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Jo

USA
57 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  08:20:13 AM  Show Profile
We do pretty much the same thing as Michele. It shouldn't be neccessary to freeze it. We do keep ours in the fridge, though. :)
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2012 :  05:13:56 AM  Show Profile
We've been tapping trees here for 3 years now, and we buy glass bottles from a maple syrup supplier. Once the syrup is at the right Brix (density), it is brought into my kitchen and filtered (hot) through an orlon filter, into a clean bowl. I have the clean bottles in my oven at 200-225 F, so they are hot. You want hot syrup going into a hot bottle or jar. We then screw the provided caps on tight, and lay the bottles on their sides for a couple minutes to heat seal the special double seal that they come with. These are 12 oz Kent bottles, like you see syrup in at the store.

The first year, when we were just learning, I used mason jars. I just heated the jars, and applied hot lids (kept in hot water) and then screwed on the bands finger tight. The lids popped, and that syrup kept well, no problems.

I like using glass for a couple of reasons: I really don't like putting something hot into plastic, and in glass you can see later on if you have problems.

Good luck, & have fun! We bottled 8 bottles the other night.

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning Maple Syrup? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page