StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  07:17:25 AM  Show Profile
Well I lost both beehives. I did as much as I could to keep them fed this winter, but the warm winter was a curse when it came to keeping the bees. They were too active for the amount of stores they had put away. I guess I'll clean everything out and hope for a swarm. Package bee costs have skyrocketed and it is just too risky to keep buying packages and losing them in the winter. It breaks my heart to see all of the little dead bee bodies laying about the hive.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns

rubyleesmom
Zapped Profile

190 Posts

190 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  08:25:10 AM  Show Profile
Sorry to hear about the loss, Paula. Its always sad losing any animal on the farm no matter how big or small. I envy you for being so brave to do something like beekeping! Something like that would scare me to death! I freak out when one flies near me.. cant imagine how I'd act if I had to go near a swarm of them lol :)
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  08:31:54 AM  Show Profile
You have my sympathy, we fed all winter, alternating bee candy with sugar water, there was nothing blooming here, because of the drought. So, I took a chance and fed them. The hive was active and defensive when we put the ApiStan in last week. Hope you get a swarm soon.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  08:32:52 AM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry. I had no idea about the weather being such a factor in bee keeping. I was happy with out mild winter here. But I guess it is not good for alot of things. I hope you try again and get more. I called a guy here on Craig's list that was spitting some of his hives. $80.00 for a queen and 3 trays of bees. Is that what they are called? Anyway, that's all I get for $80. Then I saw some hand made hives with all the wood work for around $55.00 near here also. I want a hive for out back. But that's where the goats are. He said they are better with sheep. So they might go up front with the sheep then.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4240 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4240 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  08:57:01 AM  Show Profile
Paula sorry about your loss. My split did not make it, but the old hive is still alive. Hoping they make it through the rest of winter. When I gets warm enough I will check them and see how they are doing on stores.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  09:19:37 AM  Show Profile
Oh Paula,
I am so sorry! I have been kicking around the idea of starting to keep bees once our garden is established, but worry so about just this kinda thing :-( I hope you do catch a swarm...

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  12:44:10 PM  Show Profile
I'm sorry Paula! Our neighbor who had 5 hives just lost his last two in December. I think that the warm winter is messing everyone up. I also think that cell phone tower signals are contributing to bees getting lost in the good months and not making it home- but I have no science to back that up presently.

We want to start bees, but we're waiting at least a year.

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

JThomp
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Justine
Raymore Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  9:21:31 PM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry Paula.

FarmGirl Sister#2904

Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  5:51:31 PM  Show Profile
Hey there-
Don't get too discouraged - I've been keeping bees for 5 years now. One thing I'm realizing is that there is only so much you can do. We've had really good years, and really bad years. Good luck with the swarms!
Jennifer

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  1:05:55 PM  Show Profile
Sorry for your loss. We need to check our hives. We had a "mild" winter as well. I sure hope they are ok.

Lora

If it ain't red, leave it in the shed.
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1504 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1504 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  9:01:36 PM  Show Profile
Sorry to hear about your hives Paula. I lost both of mine this winter as well. It is heartbreaking to seem them all lying on the bottom board. Something happened to my queens and the workers were unable to produce supersedure queens to keep the colony going till I could re-queen in the spring. I'm going to search for a new source for package bees because I have not had good luck with the supplier I've been using so far. They are so expensive to have to keep replacing.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2012 :  05:11:54 AM  Show Profile
Last I checked, the hives are actually still limping along. I had thought they were wiped out, and it still might happen if they don't start finding some forage. Things are starting to barely bud out in our area, so hopefully, if the last few stragglers can hang on, they can rebuild this summer. I'm having second thoughts about ever taking honey from my hives again. I feel like a monster for taking the little bit that I did last summer, and they could have used it.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4240 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4240 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  04:49:33 AM  Show Profile
Have you thought of giving them sugar syrup to keep them going?
I did lose my split, but the original hive is going strong. We were warm yesterday, and alot were out and about.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  08:46:29 AM  Show Profile
I have been feeding syrup during the days when I knew we were going to stay above freezing overnight. So whenever we had a warm spell, I'd mix up some syrup and pour it in the feeder. I'm not sure it has been enough for them though. I kept getting buzzed by somebody yesterday while I was out, so there are some bees still alive and kicking somewhere around here. Glad to see it!!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  3:12:20 PM  Show Profile
So sorry to hear of this - your not alone I have other friends who are having losses and their not sure of the cause. Stay strong.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  09:19:48 AM  Show Profile
I hope they are able to rebuild for you, Paula! I thought of you today when a honey bee landed on my shoulder. It was nice to see!

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Bee loss Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page