Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Any homebrewers who bake with ale yeast?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Any homebrewers who bake with ale yeast? Next Topic  

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2012 :  2:29:07 PM  Show Profile
I'm really curious about the old-fashioned practice of baking bread with yeast that's somehow a byproduct of brewing. I've seen mention in 19th century cookbooks of using "emptins" as the leavening for baking, and I've read in other sources about women going to the local brewery to get this stuff on baking day. I've also seen it referred to as "barm." But what is it exactly?

I just recently met a guy through craigslist who was offering the spent grains from his brewing for free. So I picked up some of those, and found recipes on line that call for adding them to bread (like a multigrain supplement). He's also offered me some of the "yeast cake" that apparently is sediment left at the bottom of the container after bottling. But from what I see online, this is not the right byproduct either.

Apparently, ale yeast/emptins/barm is something that floats to the top and gets skimmed off during brewing? I tried to describe it to my brewing acquaintance, but he didn't seem to know what I meant.

Has anyone tried baking this way? Can you give me a better idea what I'm looking for and what to do with it?
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Any homebrewers who bake with ale yeast? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page