farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  12:01:34 PM  Show Profile
...how do I figure out where the electric runs underground? I know where I want the giant vegetable garden at the farm we bought in December, but my father now tells me he thinks where I want to put it might be where some of the electric runs underground for the outbuildings. The seller isn't sure if the lines run there underground (he sold the farm for his dad who passed away, it wasn't ever his, meaning the sellers, house)and the electric company will only come out and mark for "their" lines into the property (to the house), not the ones that are run underground from outbuilding to outbuilding. How do you find out where the lines are? Metal detector? Something else? I'd rather not have the new garden be too shocking of an experience.

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  12:19:10 PM  Show Profile
Amy
Here in Ohio we call OUPS. They come out & mark with orange flags where everything is. Does MN have something similar?
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  12:41:44 PM  Show Profile
Yes we have something like that for MN but they won't do "private lines", just the one from the road to the house. Anything that was added when electric was hooked up to buildings they won't flag. Or at least that is what I was told! :(

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  12:48:43 PM  Show Profile
call an electrition out, most lines are in a straight line from your breaker box to the other buildings, they (in California anyway)have to be run thru pvc and buried 24 ins deep, if you dig down where they start from, and then where they end, you should be able to mark that run out by eye fairly easily also...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  12:54:20 PM  Show Profile
Don't forget about the telephone lines, if you still have a land line.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic before the garden goes in... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page