queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2012 :  10:20:27 AM  Show Profile
Ok, tip for you ladies with wood chewing horses. I know most of you are trying to stay away from chemicals around the house and barn. My bfff has horses that began wood chewing. She tried everything, but the only thing that actually worked was painting used motor oil on the wood where they were chewing. They don't like the smell, so they won't chew on it. BTW, her stall doors open into her paddock, so there is no ventilation problem by doing this. Just a thought for those of you who have tried everything.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2012 :  1:43:04 PM  Show Profile
when I trained horses this would happen when they were bored or lacking in a mineral...i noticed it happened more often if i couldn't get them all exercised on the same day....they loved the lunges ect & would work themselves up quite well so I would cool them down slow then treat with carrots.....then send them out into the field to play & visit......i had one that came to me that ate alot of wood until I got its diet under control...seems they had no idea how to feed a horse!.....so once its minerals & vits were balanced out he did much better....this was way back in the early 1980's so never heard of the motor oil idea...love it...since you know they aren't going to snack on something they can't stand the smell of....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
http://theoldbatzfarm.blogger.com
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2012 :  6:31:54 PM  Show Profile
Mine don't chew on wood, but they are out 24/7. Horses have the ability to adopt all kinds of vices and health issues if they can't roam.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  04:48:22 AM  Show Profile
I think Paula has the right idea. Horses are easiest to keep when they get to be horses...it's too bad everyone doesn't have an extra 20 or so acres to let the animals roam and socialize. Ah, the perfect world...

Never heard of this tip! Luckily, never had to deal with that vice. It's so nice to be able to get everyone's ideas so you can use them when you need to.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  06:25:30 AM  Show Profile
Her horses are turned out all the time, except at night. I will admit, she doesn't do alot with them. Trying to get her to bring them down for the weekend and do some riding down here as there is no place to ride where she lives.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  07:29:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wouldn't putting oil on the wood make it more flammable? I guess I always worry about barn fires since horses can't open their own stall doors to get out.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  08:54:36 AM  Show Profile
"bitter apple" and or "orange oil" will deter horses from chewing on wood...also put a small tire (no steel belts) out for them to play with, and large cheap balls will also give them something to do...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  10:01:06 AM  Show Profile
are they getting enough hay? might sound stupid but my old mare chews on every thing if she doesnt have enough roughage to eat. i used to do alot of hard riding and tried to feed more concentates to help but all that did was get her eating everything, shed chew on trees, boards, even other horses tails. something to look in to...

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  07:14:51 AM  Show Profile
Tina is right about the bitter apple, I have a really bad wood chewer here(not my horse) and I use the bitter apple mixed with liquid dish soap, it helps alot, so did turning on the radio.
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  07:28:12 AM  Show Profile
I've tried it all. Oil on the posts, things to play with, mineral, feed, vet.... you name it I've tried it. They were in 10 acre fields at the time too. I've come to the conclusion that my breed of horse has beaver in it's background. I've talked to others that have Peruvian Pasos and every one of them said the same thing; their horses eat wood no matter what you do. So now I make sure they have no access to it. For the wooden posts I have, I wrap them in wire so they can't chew on them but the majority of my posts are steel.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  6:02:02 PM  Show Profile
Like I said, she tried everything and yes they have hay and lots of it.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic wood chewing horses Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page