Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Embrodiery transfering mistakes ; Help !!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Embrodiery transfering mistakes ; Help !! Next Topic  

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  12:38:05 PM  Show Profile
Okay I have used embroidery transfers for years ; most have turned out on the fabric nicely ; no problem
okay
I want to embroidery some pretty things to go in my Master bath ; "girly things " ( I get the Master bath and bedroom to myself)
( I have to sew and every thing in it ; even my small piano is in it .( lol) I also have a nice place to watch Tv
Anyways
The transfers did not work : I though prehaps it was the fabric; ( it was a pretty light pink; per washed ; and 100% cotton ; no fabric softener in it)
so, I go and get some nice muslin I had left; Didn't work either .
even the transfers from Martha didn't work
I am so mad
I have done this for years no problem .
I had the iron set on the setting it is suppose to be ; even mad hubby go and get it off the top shelf in the laundry room
Him
"I don't want you burning the house down" me hum. Him; " don't give me Hum "
well , how am I to press my cloth /??
I use a small iron for my quilting things
Help, I need it ; any ideas what went wrong and why they aren't trans ferring /??? thanks sheila

http://www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com/

http://www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  2:26:18 PM  Show Profile
are the transfers old/vintage? and I have found that some designs are really not transfers but need to be traced, so why they call them transfers I don't know. Could be something in your laundry soap. I have been using transfers for too long to mention and do run into some issues from time to time.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2012 :  06:52:38 AM  Show Profile
Can I jump in with sorta related question? I to do transfers, I am doing placemats, which I am making and then transferring designs onto them to embroidery for christmas 2012. I use a sulky pens, only problem they are permanment, they are easy to use, just draw over pattern or on backside of it for right side down and then iron onto the material, but on this quilted material, it seems to run a little, and makes too wide of a line to embroidery. And then when you wash it, it does not go away. So my question is this: what else can I use? People at Hobby Lobby and Michaels have no suggestions, and even look like they do not understand. Any Ideals? Thanks for your help.
Sheila, what Kathy said, was exactly what I thought first, my mother in law has patterns (she is 84) that she used carbon paper to transfer the design, by drawing over the original. These are very old, carbon paper is messy, but will wash out in most cases. Have a great weekend! Farmgirl #946 Linda
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2012 :  09:06:10 AM  Show Profile
Linda Nordic Needle sells a transfer pen that disappears with heat. I haven't tried them but plan to order a couple. I have tried the Sulky pens and the ones sold at the fabric store and haven't had alot of luck with either. There is also a transfer mesh that you draw your design on and then place on top of your project piece and trace again leaving small dots after you remove the mesh. Couple of years ago I was embroidering a baby blanket on satin and didn't want design lines so I traced the design onto Press and Seal Saran Wrap and stuck that to the satin and embroidered through it.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2012 :  09:06:46 AM  Show Profile
These are not vinetage ;
I have often used the Aunt Martha with no problems .
About the carbon paper .
when you use it out do you use it??lol
do you trace the desgin and then iron. ( i sorta don't understand this part ha)
I really want to use those patterns they are really pretty .
makes one mad . lol
hugs sheila

Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2012 :  3:02:49 PM  Show Profile
Sheila I don't use carbon paper as I don't like the way it looks. You place the carbon paper on the fabric the design over that and trace the designs thus transfering the design to the fabric. Can you use a light box to transfer the design to the fabric before making the placemats?
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2012 :  8:39:31 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kathy for telling Sheila how to use the carbon paper. I don't care for it either, but have used it years ago, when I did not know what else to do. I do not have a light box, but been googling to see how to build an easy one , to see if it would work. Thanks for the suggestion. Great idea on the saran wrap. could use that on a shirt my daughter wants to embroidery. And thanks for the info about nordic needle, never heard of it before but I am gonna google that in a few minutes. Thanks for all the help.

Sheila, hope you get it figured out, let us know!!
Have a great weekend!! Farmgirl #946 Linda
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2012 :  8:55:15 PM  Show Profile
I bought a pen first and never could get it not to bleed in huge blobs and just be too thick either. The pencils work MUCH MUCH better for me. Also by sulky and a few other companies, just look for transfer pencils. They are a soft pencil though so don't press too hard, and they need sharpening often. They are kind of like a lip or eye liner pencil in their softness.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2012 :  9:02:29 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Heather, I just got on the site that Kathy told me about, and found the transfer pencils, I ordered two sets, so now to patiently wait for them. Thanks for you in put!
Farmgirl #946 Linda
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  09:59:16 AM  Show Profile
Linda Before I bought my lightbox I used to open up the extension in my dining table but not put the extra piece in, then placed a piece of glass over the opening and put a light under it, worked well enough. I also have a friend who took an old drawer and knocked the bottom out of it and had a cut a round hole in the side to wire a light in and then had a piece of plexiglass cut to fit over the top. Glad you found the Nordic Needle site, they are awesome!!
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  12:29:49 PM  Show Profile
How do you sharpen the dang lead transfer pencils so that they don't break when you use them
i found one pencil and had a dang time trying to use the pencil without the lead breaking about 5 times . ha
dang dab it.
now my pencil is tiny winnie .lol
I did find my green clover needle embroidery threader i had lost;
looked every where for it and it fell out of some cross stitch fabric I had made some bookmarks out of.
I thought i had sewn it in my batting and back of my quilt I am working on
Oh, the joys of turning 57 . lol
thanks ladies; I have ordered from that site; some tatting shuttles they are great. hugs sheila

Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  12:48:47 PM  Show Profile
Shella, have the same problem with my pencils too. Big pain always having to sharpen pencil and it just keeps breaking and more sharpening, etc., etc. Is there a big secret to keeping the lead from breaking when drawing the pattern? Or is there a brand of pencil that works the best? Help!!
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  1:25:58 PM  Show Profile
Annie
I keep hoping I would find the answer to this;
I have had this problem for years and
it is annoying . lol hugs sheila

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  4:10:24 PM  Show Profile
Very carefully.

I use a eye liner pencil sharpener. I do NOT sharpen the lead, only take off the wood around it. If the lead touches the sharpener it usually knocks it off or cuts it off so I try really hard not to let the lead come in contact with the sharpener only the wood.

Then when you use it don't press very hard, and just be careful. It takes a lot of practice.

I don't wear make up very often (very very very seldom) but they have new eye liner and lip liner too that you don't sharpen, you just twist and the leader comes down further, that's what they need to do with this kind of pencil too!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2012 :  8:36:50 PM  Show Profile
Thank-you Kathy for the instructions for the light box. I am waiting on my pencils to arrive. I am ready to get started, I have made 25 placemats, have 25 more to go.

Sheila--was wondering did you ever get the transfers to work?

Am paying attention to all the instructions to sharpening the pencils, guess I will experience it when I get them. Have a great day all!! Farmgirl #946 Linda
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Embrodiery transfering mistakes ; Help !! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page