kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  08:42:09 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone been there? I want to go so bad now. I was listening to my local NPR station the other day and a guy was on and talked a little about the town. It's in West Texas. I want to go just to see the lights. Just wondered if anyone had ever been there and might have pictures to share. It's a small artsy type town now and they have some art festivals and one on Labor day weekend for the lights.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  08:44:04 AM  Show Profile
I've heard of the Marfa lights but I never been there. It would be interesting to see them!

Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  08:49:10 AM  Show Profile
I saw this last night! Really awesome, really! I have never been, but it would be worth a trip, Kris, especially since you're much closer than I am in Kentucky!!!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  09:13:39 AM  Show Profile
It's a cool place to go. I've seen the Marfa lights. There are some who think otherwise.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  09:47:20 AM  Show Profile
The lights have been there over 100 years now. It's strange. I would love to see them myself. I think Texas is an amazing place.

Marly, what did you think of the lights?

kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Sharon Denise
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

Sharon
Temple TX
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  10:15:52 AM  Show Profile
I've been to Marfa as well. I didn't personally see the Marfa lights, but I know people who have. I don't know if certain atmospheric conditions need to be present. I wouldn't make a long trip just to see Marfa, but you can visit Big Bend, Terlingua, Lajitas and lots of other neat places while you're in the area. :-)

Farmgirl Sister #3754
www.facebook.com/bellcountybelles
http://bellcountybelle.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/bluemonarch/
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. Yet that will be the beginning."
~Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  12:04:49 PM  Show Profile
I was with five other people, and we all saw the lights. Only one of the group thought the lights were truck lights coming from the hilly area. The rest of us seems to think the lights were UFOs. I hope one day you get to see the lights or other lights. I've seen other lights. The first time, I was with my Father. I will never forget what I saw, and no one can tell me I didn't see what I saw. However, I do hear lots of laughs, etc... Each his/her own. I know what I saw. I find the lights amazing.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  12:12:36 PM  Show Profile
If somebody told me something weird I would probably believe them, I've had my own wierd things, and I only tell a very few people . Others think I was nuts.

Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  1:17:18 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
My hubby and I have talked about going here. It sounds great

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

www.flossesandcrosses.blogspot.com

www.morganicinstitute.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  1:30:42 PM  Show Profile
Marlee: Thanks is exactly what I mean. When people ask, in person, for me to tell them what I think, they all make faces and think I'm nuts. I just smile. Doesn't bother me.
Marlee & Marly both from Louisiana, I think that's a hoot! Marly

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2012 :  08:05:06 AM  Show Profile
Marly, I was going to say something about you 2 from Louisianna with the same name. Why would people think you are nuts? It really happens there.

I am going to ask my hubby if he has ever been near Marfa while he's in Texas. He drives a truck all over this country.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2012 :  08:13:48 AM  Show Profile
There are some who disagree about what the lights are. Some say the lights are just truck or car lights from the mountains. I don't think that at all. The lights I saw went up into the sky. If you get a chance to go to west Texas, go to Marfa.
Marly

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Marfa, Texas Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page