kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  1:21:01 PM  Show Profile
I have some short ribs I am thawing out. I looked in a few cookbooks that I was for sure would have a recipe for them, but didn't. I am thinking tomatoes and onions and seasonings and cook real slow? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  4:37:27 PM  Show Profile
braise or brown them first so you will seal in the juices, so they don't get dry, put in a glass 13 x 9 dish, or the size you need, and I cover with a little broth, onions and seasonings, put some potatoes and carrots around them, cover and cook at vabout 275 till they are fork done...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  6:45:34 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kris,

Here is a wonderful recipe.(I got it from Faithfulness Farm's blog) In fact I just made it the other day. It is good served with a salad and cornbread :)Oh and it freezes well too!

Barbecued Bean Soup Recipe with Beef Short Ribs

1 pound Great Northern beans, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1-1/2 to 2 pounds beef short ribs, browned in a skillet with 1 Tbsp olive oil
6 cups water
2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
3/4 to 1 cup barbecue sauce (your favorite, we like sweet baby rays)

In crockpot, combine beans with onion, pepper, and browned short ribs; cover with the water. Cover and cook on LOW 10 to 14 hours. Remove short ribs and cut meat from bones. Return meat to crockpot and stir in barbecue sauce and salt, to taste. Cover and cook on HIGH for about 20 minutes longer. Serves 8.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Feb 09 2012 6:46:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  1:00:56 PM  Show Profile
I usually broil them first, a little bit on each side to brown them, then I throw them in the crock pot all day with barbecue sauce. Simple, quick, and delicious! To make it even easier, I line the juice-collection-tray-part of my broiler rack with foil. Then when ribs are done, and the tray has cooled, I can roll up the foil and toss it. A quick rinse with some hot soapy water, and that pan is good to go - no scrubbing!

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  07:09:17 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Kris!

Was looking through Make It Fast, Cook It Slow yesterday and found a recipe for Korean Short Ribs in there. I know you are working on some gluten issues, and I know that recipe would be safe for you.

Your (former) penpal,
Ann

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  07:09:58 AM  Show Profile
PS - the recipe may be up on 365crockpot.com for free...

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Short Ribs- Need recipes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page