Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2006 :  05:03:39 AM  Show Profile
I'm trying to get a small container herb garden together for my BIL (who is a chef), and I'm hoping to find some kitchen herbs that may live through the winter indoors. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Kim in NC

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2006 :  06:15:01 AM  Show Profile
I've had rosemary and lavendar indoors for the past couple of years. I don't use them for cooking, but I know some people do. Basil should grow from seed during the winter if you have a sunny window for it. It's not a perennial, so you would need to grow it, use it, and then start over. Chives and thyme are pretty common for indoor pots, although I've never had good luck with thyme - it dies on me after about 6 months.

I know that there are plenty of indoor herb garden starter kits available at garden stores and big stores like Walmart. I would check those out. Even if you prefer to buy the materials separately and put together your own 'kit', those will give you an idea of what herbs people commonly grow on the window sill.

Good luck! I think it's a swell gift idea for someone who cooks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2006 :  06:29:25 AM  Show Profile
I think chives work great -- thyme, too. Basil is difficult to do indoors, but with lots of sun, it might produce a few leaves that would be welcome in the winter months. I've had rosemary in the house over winter like Amie -- but not for cooking; just to keep it going so I can have a bigger plant outdoors the following summer.

The main 'ingredients' of a successful indoor herb garden are sun and humidity. A sunny window above a sink is ideal.
Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2006 :  11:03:31 AM  Show Profile
Rosemary is wonderful. It doesn't like dry heat though. We heat with a wood stove so my rosemary goes in the cellar.

Cyndi
Muller's Lane Farm http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic herbs indoors during winter? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page