Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 soundproofing old farmhouse
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic soundproofing old farmhouse Next Topic  

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  06:13:42 AM  Show Profile
So here we are, at our farm, and we didn't lay any carpet. I don't like carpet, and since the farmhouse needed all new flooring (there wasn't any laid, it was in the middle of being renovated) I went with wood floors everywhere. (Well, laminate...not real....but you get the picture) In any event, goodness gracious, is our house LOUD. The sound carries everywhere! I'm not kidding, you can be in the basement and hear someone in the bathroom two floors up!

A friend suggested carpet, but I don't want to lay carpet with all the animals we have. Although I did notice the old farmhouse we stayed in this past weekend for our ladies weekend was all carpet and the house was so quiet. My husband said the only other option is to lay area rugs everywhere.

Anyone else have other ideas? Not that I want to not hear ANYTHING, but my husband does sleep days/works nights, and I have two boys at home all day.

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  06:16:45 AM  Show Profile
HI Amy,
The only thing I can suggest is to put down some area rugs (kinda like what your DH said). I think that even a few larger area rugs, like in the living room/family room etc would help. Good Luck! I'm sure there is a creative farmgirl out here that may have another idea too...
Smiles,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  09:19:05 AM  Show Profile
I agree, I'd go with area rugs. Keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  09:24:48 AM  Show Profile
area rugs work for me, my floors are all wood, get a stair runner for your stairs, and as time goes on, you all will get used to the sounds and not "hear" them anymore...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Sharon Denise
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

Sharon
Temple TX
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  10:07:44 AM  Show Profile
I love the old-fashioned braided area rugs. Look so good in a farmhouse!

Farmgirl Sister #3754
www.facebook.com/bellcountybelles
http://bellcountybelle.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/bluemonarch/
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. Yet that will be the beginning."
~Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  12:19:28 PM  Show Profile
Maybe I'll have to get working on some giant rugs, eh? ;) Sounds like rugs are the way to go.

We've gotten used to a lot of the little noises in the house, but its just amazing to me how the sound in the house carries. I can sit at the kitchen table and hear what the boys are saying in their room (which isn't anywhere near the kitchen!) I told them maybe we shouldn't soundproof it anymore...that way we can know what's going on all the time!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

osbornefarms
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Leslea
tn
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  5:11:23 PM  Show Profile
Have you already moved in? I know my house was really loud until we put everything in it. It was like everything bounced around.
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  5:18:45 PM  Show Profile
I love hardwood or laminate, too. But I know what you mean about sound carrying. Half of our house came with hardwood, a quarter with carpet and another quarter with ceramic tile. Other than area rugs, I don't have any other ideas right now. However, have you thought of hanging beautiful quilts on ornamental curtain rods (you'd have to put in a pole-pocket along one side) on some walls to act as sound buffers? It might absorbs some of the echoes and make for better sound proofing in the rooms. Also, I knew someone who made her own tapestry by doing a very large embroidery project and then backing it in batting. Again, if you did that you would need to also sew in/on a pole pocket to mount it. With either of those things on some walls, it may help.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  5:33:09 PM  Show Profile
Amy, I have hardwood floors all through my bottom floor. It's cold! And I don't have rugs on them. I am going to paint my bedroom in a few weeks and we are putting carpet down in there. I don't really want to but the floor in there is a mess. Plus I want to be warm. So I agree with everyone else about area rugs.

And I really love your blog and so enjoy your barn stories. But I noticed that while you guys are in the barn cleaning out all the sheep poo that's been there for years, y'all aren't wearing masks. I don't know if anyone else has ever mentioned this, but that dust is really bad for you. And I am sure there is alot of it in there. I am just suggestiong y'all wear masks while stirring up dust. It can cause respiratory problems. I love that old barn.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Cindy
Elkhart TX
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  5:52:53 PM  Show Profile
Its all about SOFT surfaces absorbing the noise, and hard surfaces just bouncing them around. We just went through this, as I wanted all hardwood everywhere and although my hubby acquiesced he certainly warned me how bad it would sound he's in the audio/video industry and room build/installation is his thing - so he deals with this all the time).

When I realized as we painted just how loud it would be, I then let him have his carpet in the living room. Glad I did, the noise level is super quiet now.

So, you have to offset some of that hard surface with soft surfaces. One largish area rug somewhere to enhance your layout, some heavier drapes on window walls even if pulled to the sides to let the sun shine through, maybe upholster a wall with some fabric, or drape fabric on the ceilings if they aren't looking that great to give you a dramatic ceiling treatment. there are ways to offset the hard surfaces, but it essentially means adding a lot more on other surfaces near by.
quote:
Originally posted by farmmilkmama

So here we are, at our farm, and we didn't lay any carpet. I don't like carpet, and since the farmhouse needed all new flooring (there wasn't any laid, it was in the middle of being renovated) I went with wood floors everywhere. (Well, laminate...not real....but you get the picture) In any event, goodness gracious, is our house LOUD. The sound carries everywhere! I'm not kidding, you can be in the basement and hear someone in the bathroom two floors up!

A friend suggested carpet, but I don't want to lay carpet with all the animals we have. Although I did notice the old farmhouse we stayed in this past weekend for our ladies weekend was all carpet and the house was so quiet. My husband said the only other option is to lay area rugs everywhere.

Anyone else have other ideas? Not that I want to not hear ANYTHING, but my husband does sleep days/works nights, and I have two boys at home all day.

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Bread the Mary Jane Way
- started Mother 6/28/09
- Hodgson Mill Organic unbleached flour
- well water w/ reverse osmosis filter
- feeding twice as much once a day to eliminate excess hooch
- first sourdough loaf 7/25/09 - GREAT!
- using KA bread flour for loafs
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  7:06:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Is there anyway you could drill a small hole or pull the laminate up in small areas so you could do spray insulation in the floor area between floor and th next level ceiling?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BusyBeeMary
True Blue Farmgirl

178 Posts

Mary
Nampa Idaho
178 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  5:54:40 PM  Show Profile  Send BusyBeeMary a Yahoo! Message
Had that same problem in my old victorian home. Had to put area rugs everywhere and it helped. The new house in Idaho that we are moving to soon has carpet everywhere, my first thoought was to put in laminate floors but hubby brought up the fact that its warmer and quieter with the carpets in, and since they were in excellent shape I had to agree. I do NOT like the linolium flooring in our kitchen and am hoping we can put laminate in there.. with a nice area rug in the kitchen at the sink area as well as where the kitchen table sits. Good old area rugs.

To Live a Full life one must LOVE MANY THINGS- Vincent Van Gogh

Mary Fitzpatrick
http//www.Thepurplecrazylady.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  10:28:13 PM  Show Profile
Amy: The braided rugs sound charming, but do you have any textiles on the walls (quilts, wool pieces etc? They will absorb the too. I know what area you are in cuz I'm in Minnesota too and you will want something warm in the floor. Good luck. I can't wait to see pictures.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2012 :  01:34:19 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Cindy and Amy. Use lots of fabric and soft surfaces to absorb the sound. Your home sounds beautiful. I hope you have many happpy years there. Good luck!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic soundproofing old farmhouse Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page