Page: of 2

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  09:13:24 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
With everyone in the house working, most of the time on different schedules, we've been thinking about getting one of those things. Sometimes it's one of us that "needs" a cup on the way out the door, sometimes it's all of us. I'm just wondering about the cost effectiveness of the idea is. I know that those single cup things are a bit pricey but so is wasting half a pot of coffee.
Anyone have one? Any thoughts?

FarmGirl Sister #123

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  09:33:47 AM  Show Profile
We have them at work, and I protested. There is nothing about those cups that is recyclable. More trash going into the landfills. There are single cup coffee makers that you can spoon ground coffee into. It requires slightly more effort to clean the filter, but helps save our environment.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  09:40:59 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
you know, Paula? That's one of the things that bothers me too. I'll really have to think about it and look into one that has the filter...

FarmGirl Sister #123

Go to Top of Page

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  09:46:21 AM  Show Profile
My hubby got me one for mother's day last year and I didn't think I would like it, but I do love it! Mine came with the single cup reusable filter which is perfect for me. I don't use the premade cups at all and I get to use my own coffee. I'm very picky and love the coffee from a local roaster here.

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  11:10:38 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE my Keurig maker!!! BUT I have the reusable K-cup. Using my resuable K-cup filter has saved me so much on coffee and now I can buy my organic free trade stuff that I couldn't afford before because I had to make at least a half pot at a time and only drank one or two cups! So now I just make myself a cup when I need it. I also use a reusable filter in my regular coffee pot for when people come over.

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

BusyBeeMary
True Blue Farmgirl

178 Posts

Mary
Nampa Idaho
178 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  11:22:36 AM  Show Profile  Send BusyBeeMary a Yahoo! Message
I have a keurig, and never buy the lyric coffee, I buy organic beans and spoon it into the little filter that comes with it and brewy own I don't like the little cups they sell because of the waste, and the coffee isn't great. Bit I also brewy own teas. I love the machine itself.

To Live a Full life one must LOVE MANY THINGS- Vincent Van Gogh

Mary Fitzpatrick
http//www.Thepurplecrazylady.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  6:42:15 PM  Show Profile
I have reused the k-cups
after one cup i dump the
coffee grinds into the composter
rinse out the cup add my own grinds
cover tightly with foil and it works great
i do recycle the cups .. after i clean them out..it may sound like work but is really easy
so not much waste

inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  6:44:38 PM  Show Profile
Love our Keurig. It's nice to make a cup when you want it.

Farmgirl Sister #3759

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  07:14:42 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
What great answers, ladies! Thanks. Once it's in the budget, I think I'll try one with the resusable filter. Makes so much more sense.

FarmGirl Sister #123

Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  07:18:37 AM  Show Profile
As a real Eco-Green Chicken, I just have to say a HUGE thank you to all of you Lovely Chickens who are doing the Eco-fabulous job of using the K-cup! If we all just make small changes in what we do in our everyday life, our world can be a better place!

You ladies rock!
Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

ptroupe
True Blue Farmgirl

1752 Posts

Portia
Johnson City NY
USA
1752 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  11:41:24 AM  Show Profile
I have had the pot for about 5 years and really like it. They are rather pricey, but worth it. I tried the "fill-your-own" contraption and have not had much luck. Sometimes I catch the coffee on sale at the grocery or use a coupon at Bed, Bath, & Beyond. Also, www.bigcatcoffees.com is a good source for the pods as well as www.shoffee.com. I know they make the disposable filters for the fill your own, too, but have not bought one. Hope this helps.
I guess if you drink cup after cup, this might not be practical. But, I don't, so it works for me.

Portia

Wishing for the country life!
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  11:42:59 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I have not personally used this product, but heard that it is wonderful. Please check it out here: http://www.my-kap.com/MYK/

We have a K-cup and love it. Less waste of throwing out a bunch of coffee or drinking nasty leftover coffee. I am not a coffee fan. I love tea and I use an electric kettle to boil my water. My hubby is a huge coffee fan. But he works 12-13 hours a day at work. So I use K-cup to make him a cup in the morning and he brings me back the disposiable cup when he gets home at night and I make him a cup or two in the evening. I don't like tea from K-cup. But have tried hot apple cider, hot chocolate, etc. We reuse a disposiable cup for the whole week and he drinks coffee from a regular mug while he is home over the weekend.

It is a bit pricey for the k-cups, but how much does one spend at Starbucks or the like?? And there is no waste. There are even craft sites that have projects for used k-cups.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

www.flossesandcrosses.blogspot.com

www.morganicinstitute.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  5:36:04 PM  Show Profile
I love mine, but I don't buy the pre-made K-Cups, I use the reusable filter cup the Keurig came with and load it myself with my own ground coffee. I also use it an awful lot for hot tea. It's much better than heating the teapot over and over throughout the day for hot tea, and it's much less wasteful than making an entire pot of coffee I'm never going to drink. Further, when company comes to visit, some can't have caffeine, so it's nice to be able to make them their own special fresh cup o' decaf in the morning (and much appreciated, too!). And my son just loves spooning homemade hot cocoa from the jar into a cup and hitting the Keurig button for hot water - instant relief from a chilling round of snow shoveling, indeed! It sure makes EVERYONE's day around here a little sweeter! - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  09:03:53 AM  Show Profile
I've had mine for quite a while and just love it. I do use the filter that came with it in addition to using the kcups. I'm going to try the reuing with foil idea tomorrow. I also can just run hot water through for tea, soup, etc, rather than heating a kettle on the stove. I would NEVER but the tea Kcups as they are really expensive and you don't need them when you can just run the water through with yur own tea bags
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.dreamingofspringtime.etsy.com
Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  10:27:39 AM  Show Profile
I love the keurig, but can't justify the expense. Get instant coffee. much cheaper

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  10:48:44 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
No offense, but YUCK!!!!!

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

www.flossesandcrosses.blogspot.com

www.morganicinstitute.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  07:59:29 AM  Show Profile
Deborah,
tried your tip for reusing the kcups and it worked like a charm. Thanks
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.dreamingofspringtime.etsy.com
Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  08:50:00 AM  Show Profile
I too purchased one and I love it. I will purchase the coffee pods only for company. I purchased the holder that is used for your own coffee which works at well.

Joan

Happy Trails
Farmgirl 3842
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  5:44:06 PM  Show Profile
I'm sorry, but I absolutely adore mine. I recently bought the reusable cup (the Solofil one) as I HATED those dumb plastic non-recyclable K-Cups. I did have to learn how much to fill and that it is best to use either the small or medium size when you brew with the reusable filter, but beyond that, I'm addicted. Previously, we used a percolator (old-fashioned plug in), which made delicious, wonderful coffee, but we wasted a lot.

I also use the hot water (removing your filter, of course!) to make a hot cup of tea, hot cocoa, and even ramen noodles occasionally. It makes a very quick cup of boiling water for ya. All you have to do is raise the handle like you were putting in a cup, close it, and choose a cup size and: instant hot water.

I have the 'Elite' version. I think it goes for about $130 bucks.

Here is something to consider, though. If you do want to use the little cups, you can rip off the foil, rip out the paper filter and grounds (to compost), and use the little cup as a seed starting cup. hey, it already has a hole for drainage and everything! I thought it would be great for starting seed and African violet leaves.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2012 :  06:16:30 AM  Show Profile
The ones we have at work are some kind of professional grade contraption that won't take the refillable cups. They put one on each floor of our IT Department but they didn't supply us with coffee, so we would have to bring our own. I think the majority of them are gathering dust.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2012 :  1:13:22 PM  Show Profile
The re-useable holder I have I need to take the regular Kcup holder out with the pointy things in it and put the holder/filter combo in its place then I can have my own coffee. But if I were to use a K-cup I would have to take my holder/filter out and the Kcup picky holder out and then I can put a Kcup and brew it. I like it for quick hot water too! Especially for a quick out the door lunch. I have GF rice ramen I will use with the hot water and it works like a charm if I didn't get time to eat before heading out for church :) ramen for breakfast isn't desirable but sometimes mama doesn't get to eat before we leave so it's been helpful for me! I think if you did use the Kcups they would make wonderful seed starting cups! That is a fabulous idea Amanda! Way to be nifty thrifty :D

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2012 :  6:44:17 PM  Show Profile
Now I am convinced to go out and buy one of the Keurig reuseable cups. I have been debating this as the prepackaged ones are so expensive. I still have some of the K-cups and will start rinsing and recycling them as suggested here. I do love my Keurig. It is so convenient and the coffee is always fresh. Especially good when I'm in a hurry.

I did purchase a Cuisnart coffee pot with a stainless steel carafe and I hate the carafe. The opening is too small to get my hand in and give it a good scrubbing. I've tried using the long-handled scrubbers and still can't get it clean. One pot of coffee always stains the carafe. Needless to say, I hardly ever use the Cuisnart.

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

Joyous
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Kerry
Caldwell Idaho
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2012 :  02:38:42 AM  Show Profile
I love my Keurig! Kids bought me my first 'mini' many years ago and it got moved into the travel trailer when they up-graded me to the Cuisinart. Having access to the hot water sounds so frivolous, but I found it a great feature and I'm back to enjoying tea again (my kids have one and use it for other instant drinks or quick breakfast cereal). Costco sells the pre-filled cups at a price that's hard to beat, and each month Tulley's (if you have one in your area) sells a box of 24 pre-filled for $9.99 (flavor of the month). The 'cups' provide a truly gourmet cup of coffee each and every time, and everyone I know that enjoys this system finds they drink much less coffee than they did from a standard maker. My friend's husband prefers his coffee stronger than hers, so she runs two cups through the same pod and that has always worked for them. Tip: When using the self-filler cup and find you're having a problem with the drip, it may be the oils in your coffee -- try another kind of coffee before blaming the machine. No, I don't work for Keurig in spite of the fact I sound like an ad for them ;) The used grounds go in compost/garden and the cups get used in the greenhouse. To Bella: a bit of Oxy-Clean and hot water (and a baby bottle brush) worked to keep my steel carafe stain-free. Joyous
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  6:04:31 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Joyous

I love my Keurig! Kids bought me my first 'mini' many years ago and it got moved into the travel trailer when they up-graded me to the Cuisinart. Having access to the hot water sounds so frivolous, but I found it a great feature and I'm back to enjoying tea again (my kids have one and use it for other instant drinks or quick breakfast cereal). Costco sells the pre-filled cups at a price that's hard to beat, and each month Tulley's (if you have one in your area) sells a box of 24 pre-filled for $9.99 (flavor of the month). The 'cups' provide a truly gourmet cup of coffee each and every time, and everyone I know that enjoys this system finds they drink much less coffee than they did from a standard maker. My friend's husband
prefers his coffee stronger than hers, so she runs two cups through the same pod and that has always worked for them. Tip: When using the self-filler cup and find you're having a problem with the drip, it may be the oils in your coffee -- try another kind of coffee before blaming the machine. No, I don't work for Keurig in spite of the fact I sound like an ad for them ;) The used grounds go in compost/garden and the cups get used in the greenhouse. To Bella: a bit of Oxy-Clean and hot water (and a baby bottle brush) worked to keep my steel carafe stain-free. Joyous

Thanks for the cleaning advice. I'll try that. And, I've been trying to figure out how to recycle the plastic K-cups. Have been planting seeds in peat pots, but will try using the cups instead. Hubby has promised to build me a greenhouse!!!

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2012 :  9:59:23 PM  Show Profile
I really appreciated everyone's tips. I didn't like the waste that this machine invites either, but the ideas that were shared were very helpful
Thanks,
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  6:42:36 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
Thanks for the great advice!

FarmGirl Sister #123

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic To Keurig or Not to Keurig Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page