Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Fantastic New Cookbook Next Topic  

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2012 :  10:20:37 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
"The French Slow Cooker" - Michele Scicolone
Yummy!
I never even owned a crock pot all these years, but since my life and schedule changed so much in the last year, I finally bought one. I'm used to making everything from scratch and I use very little processed ingredients, so I really balked at alot of the crock pot recipes I found. This cookbook satifies all of my "fascist foodie" desires! I'm assuming the prep work is a pinch more than alot of slow cooker recipes, but I just really enjoy it.

FarmGirl Sister #123

nanr42
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Nan
WALDPORT Oregon
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  08:05:29 AM  Show Profile
Oh MIchele, I love the "fascist foodie". hee hee. I'm trying to not be, but I would like to be. I'll look for this book, because I'm having a hard time cooking at home for me. and I love to cook, which makes it weird.
thanks.
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  08:33:19 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
hahaha! I can't help myself...I grew up on an organic farm, then I went to culinary school and was taught by a French trained chef instructor (didn't finish because I ran out of dough ;). My one friend teases me that "normal" people don't actually "chiffonade" basil, LOL!

FarmGirl Sister #123

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  08:37:06 AM  Show Profile
That's a great recommendation. I have a crock pot but am loathe to make any of the recipes I've found in crock pot related cookbooks. I'm a bit of a foodie, myself and opening up a "can of this" and a "can of that" and dumping it on top of meat just doesn't work for me.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  09:07:10 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
@Jonni...I definitely remember you, lol! But what you said...exactly! And I don't mean to step on anyone's toes or insult anyone by any means...but once you've learned how to make cream of mushroom soup from scratch, it's almost impossible to imagine using the canned stuff. But then again, I'm an OCD insomniac and have been known to be in the kitchen after midnight making consomme! ;)

FarmGirl Sister #123

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  11:42:39 AM  Show Profile
Sherry,

Thanks for the recommendation, I will definitely have to check that one out. One of the biggest turn-offs for me with crockpot cooking is processed stuff. Not meant to insult anyone either, just our taste.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  12:45:18 PM  Show Profile
There's actually quite a few recipes out there that you can use non processed foods in the crock pot. Just a tid bit info though....unless it's a rival...it's a slow cooker. lol Rival has exclusive rights to the name, crock pot. lol

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  12:47:25 PM  Show Profile
Oh BTW, I'm making one today. I'm making bbq chicken, I'm going to shred it when done. The recipe does call for a bottle of bbq sauce, I normally make my own, but I also keep some locally made (like home made!) in the cupboard for when I don't have time or feel like it, so it does have that in it, but other then that it's all whole foods, and again you could just make your own or buy locally canned bbq sauce.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  1:03:46 PM  Show Profile
It's not even just processed foods, I just find the meals so uninspiring--I mean, I love pulled pork or bbq, or beef stew and soups galore, but I always find things just a little "overdone" for my tastes. Crockpot lasagna, nope--the noodles came out all disintegrated and I felt like I'd wasted money and time on ingredients.

I love the convenience aspect of the crockpot, but I've been consistently let down by the recipes I've tried. So this book might be for me!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  2:08:27 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the recommendation. We use our slow cooker a few times a month here. I've had some good luck with the recipes I've tried in Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook. I'll have to add the French Slow Cooker to my library of cookbooks.

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  06:48:56 AM  Show Profile
I'm with Jonni as far as disappointment with slow-cookers in general - I used to use ours a lot but have gradually become disillusioned. Plus after all my years as a specialty/gourmet grocery and cheese buyer I'm a little bit of a foodie fascist myself:) This book did catch my eye when I saw it so I'm glad to hear a review - I'm also sort of a nutball about anything french after my visit to France a few years back so that part caught my eye too.....I'll definitely check it out!
Thanks for posting Sherry
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

nanr42
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Nan
WALDPORT Oregon
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  07:45:42 AM  Show Profile
I chiffonade my basil too, wen I have enough of it at one time.
I want to use original ingredients, too. Tho I agree about the locally made fantastic stuff.There's a marinara sauce from Tomaso's in Eureka, Calif, where i"m from that is wonderful. But now I live on the Oregon coast. sigh. Anyway, maybe I'll give it a try. I mostl use my small crockpot for porridge, which i then refrigerate and reheat.

Oh, thanks about the trade name Crockpot. ididn't know that. I do actually have two Rivals. But you're right. I try to mostly respect copyrights and tradenames, tho some have escaped in to general use. Which is totally irrelevant.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Fantastic New Cookbook Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page