lindagwynn
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Linda
Deming Wa.
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2012 :  7:34:00 PM  Show Profile
I have a 6 seater hot-tub in the back yard that is broken and when it did run it cost a fortune to heat. I have been looking at it for two years waiting to decide what to do. We have a lot of trees around our property and I have tried to grow a garden but nowhere gets more than 4 hours of sun but my hot tub. My daughter suggested I put my plants on it and make like a step ladder on the sides to plant. I was wondering if any one had any good ideas for what to plant and will the top of the hot tub hold containers of dirt. I plan to run slates and then put down two 4x8's to put the boxes on. Our dirt here is very clayey and what would be best to plant in if I am using boxes.

With lots of hugs and smiles, have a great day.

osbornefarms
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Leslea
tn
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2012 :  7:46:49 PM  Show Profile
Don't laugh but I have a friend that grow taters in her bathtub its big tub with jets. It cracked in bottom so she filled it with dirt and the sun shines in the sky light and she grew nice big pot. In the winter. So maybe you could fill it with dirt and plant in it. Just an idea
Go to Top of Page

lindagwynn
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Linda
Deming Wa.
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2012 :  7:54:25 PM  Show Profile
Thank you but I would rather plant on top.

Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1507 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2012 :  08:19:30 AM  Show Profile
Linda, what a cool idea! I saw this done once on an old cedar hot tub years ago.

I would suggest doing some research to find out how much your soil and pots will weigh. Then you can determine how much structure you need underneath to support the load. I don't know how much snow you get in Deming during the winter but added rainwater and/or snow is definitely a consideration if you plan to leave your soil there year round. Keep in mind that for an outdoor wood deck in the Seattle area the joists under the decking are required to be spaced no more than 16" apart. That provides adequate support for snowloads of roughly 120 lbs/SF. You may need to consider adding an upright support in the middle of your hot tub (think table leg) to provide stability in the center of the span. Another idea if the hot tub is smaller is to use a large pallet with slats on both sides (Or build a pallet to fit) to span the top of the tub.

Packaged potting mixes are often lighter weight than your native clay soil and also drain better. So that might be worth considering, too. If you do use your existing soil, be sure to mix lots of well cured compost with it.

You don't mention whether you want a vegetable garden or otherwise. I recommend choosing plants for the top of the hot tub that don't get too large and don'trequire alot of frequent maintenance. Maybe herbs, flowers or vegetables like beets or carrots that are harvested once or twice at the end of the season. I'm assuming you would take your daughter's idea to have plants on the sides of the hot-tub too which would make access to the top ones a little more difficult.

Well, I hope this helps. Good luck with your project!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

lindagwynn
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Linda
Deming Wa.
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2012 :  08:47:03 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Marilyn for your good advise. I had not considered the rain weight and here in Northwest Washington that was a little foolish of me. We are going to put slats all the way across the top to support the boards and I have a deck above it that has a gate unto it that we used to step down into the tub. I am hoping to be able to walk out on it to care for the plants. I want to grow a garden to help supplement our food intake of 5 people with lots of vegetables. I also work on a CSA farm in the summer to get many vegetables but I want to learn to grow my own so when we move I will be able to do it. Since I got a new dehydrator for Christmas I will be able to dry the surplus. What have you had success with in Seattle area

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Gardening on top of my hot tub Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page