Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2012 :  08:45:29 AM  Show Profile
I was asked by the local Harvesters if I would be interested in teaching a baby food class. I would love to do that. I made all my own baby food with out even thinking about it.
If you were attending this class, what would you want to know?
How would you teach it?
What advice would you give?
I'm thinking it would be about a 2 hour class. I used a food mill or blender, froze food in ice cube trays and pretty much blended what we ate fot the baby. I always started with veggies. I know you start foods one at a time, tho I just fed mine what ever, no one ever had an allergy to any thing.
Any advice would be helppful! Thank you all for your time!

....it's what's inside a women, when she's up against the land.

Farmgirl #680!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/lessielouise22

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2012 :  10:45:56 AM  Show Profile
basically just that. Maybe when you cook the meats (boiled) cook them in veg broth so it's not so bland. That was the only problem I had with my son. That would be about it. That is what I did for my little man. Saved me a ton of money. On occasion, he did get some store babyfood, but not often.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2012 :  11:11:25 AM  Show Profile
I would also bring in the idea of baby lead eating....that's what we do. I have never fed any of my children "baby" food. Never put food through a mill, or anything like that. We just gave our children the same food we are eating that in a size/cut they wouldn't choke on and at a level they were ready for. It's easy and works well for fresh food/whole food eating.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2012 :  1:01:57 PM  Show Profile
I would never say never about putting food through a mill. My son was all about finger foods and self feeding- and had no teeth until he was 13 1/2 months old. He would not be fed from a spoon. I often ground whatever he was eating with organic white basmati rice, and made it into balls that he could eat, once he could have more than one food at a time. Brown rice came out the other end as an undigested array of hulls. I used to cook veggies until tender enough for a toothless baby to eat, and firm enough not to become mush in his hands.
A lot of what we eat, is not considered ok for babies under a year. Look on the AAP website- eggs, dairy, honey, citrus, wheat, soy, and it goes on.
Developmental landmarks for eating: child can sit up without being held/ can sit unassisted
child does not push the food out with his/ her tongue.
There is so much out there about what to introduce first, what foods can be eaten at which age, etc. I don't know of a specific website, but I'm sure you can figure it out.
Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2012 :  1:31:24 PM  Show Profile
With exception of the honey, the other things-eggs, dairy, etc go back and forth about the age. Personally we don't have any allergies in our family so go ahead and give. (unless there is a history of allergies, they now say there is no reason to wait till after 1).

But, yeah we have never spoon fed our kids either. They do finger foods, but also spoon feed themselves. Drives my MIL insane, she keeps saying they will poke a eye out! Well they haven't yet! And as my mom said, they would only do it once! lol haha But, if it was up to my MIL my kids would never eat food! When DD1 was like 3 years old she was still have conpitions about us letting her eat any food at all! I finally said well when do you think is a good age, where she won't choke (that was her main concern) she stopped a minute, and hten said, never, I still choke and I'm X age is what she said, so she should never eat real food she will choke no matter her age. I said well that's just not realistic, she's going to eat food and that's that. yeah MIL is a bit of a ...... ARG!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Making Baby Food Class-Help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page