Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Anyone have a recipe for an ice cream cake?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Anyone have a recipe for an ice cream cake? Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  12:12:39 PM  Show Profile
Looking for an ice cream cake for a birthday (Violet's birthday, who will be 3) and I'm thinking that instead of going to the effort of making a cake-cake, I think she'd be even happier with an ice cream cake. Some of the recipes I've found seem really complicated (like making your own ice cream , for which I haven't the time NOR inclination) but I thought I'd ask you girls if you have one to recommend?!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  1:42:27 PM  Show Profile
I will ask my friend Carmen today, if I can reach her. I'll keep trying. All her recipes are sensible and easy to make- and I know she makes ice cream cakes all the time. I just never had one due to allergies-

Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  1:50:49 PM  Show Profile
That would be wonderful, Mary--have some time before the 24th, but I'd like to get my ducks in a row, so to speak. Yes, I need easy AND sensible!

Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  4:09:13 PM  Show Profile
You will need a springform pan. Put wax paper on the bottom. Line the sides with cookies, any kind of cookies that won't crumble to badly, like gingersnaps or sandwich cookies- non lumpy cookies like lady fingers.
Then put in your ice cream- can use one or more different layers. Make a layer, freeze for 1/2 hour. Keep doing that until it is full of ice cream. ( The total amount will reflect the size of your pan . Carmen gets a 1/2 gallon of vanilla and 2 smaller size other flavors) Put cookie crumbs, crumbled up heath bars, whatever- on top. You can serve right away, but most times, you will freeze it through. I hope this helps!
Mary LD

running off to a class, feel free to ask qustions if I missed something!

Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  7:50:04 PM  Show Profile
I've seen homemade ice cream cakes surrounded by kitkat bars so it kind of looks like a flower pot then decorated with flowers and butterflies and of course sprinkles on top... I can't remember how to actually make it though, I will have to post the link later so you can check it out when I find it in my bookmarks!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  7:53:42 PM  Show Profile
It was kind of like this but it was an ice cream cake, I can't find the cake I was thinking of but this is the closest one, sorry I couldn't find the one I was thinking of! http://chefpaige.blogspot.com/2009/05/kit-kat-and-m-birthday-cake.html

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2012 :  07:44:31 AM  Show Profile
This is a great help, girls--thank you, thank you! There are some places that make them in our area, but they don't have a lot of variety in the ice cream flavors--some are like "death by chocolate" which is "too" much sugar for a 3 year old's birthday party, and the others are a bit too boring.

Think this will be so easy, and such a better option for a variety of flavors!

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2012 :  12:38:04 PM  Show Profile
I made the cakes at Baskin Robbins when I was in high school and college. Bake 1 layer of cake - cool, wrap and freeze the layer. We used a cut from the tub in the store but you can make your own by lining a cake pan (same size as the layer) with parchement or waxed paper, and packing with what ever flavor of icecream you want. Let the layer freeze solid. On a cake board, lay the ice cream layer on first. Follow with the cake layer. If the ice cream layer isn't exactly the same size as the cake, trim with a knife. Lay a piece of waxed paper on top of the cake layer and press the cake layer into the ice cream layer so that they will stay together. (don't mash it, just want to make sure they are stuck together) In a small bowl,slightly soften the flavor ice cream you intend to use as the icing. Frost cake with the softened ice cream, smoothing with a metal spatula dipped in warm water. Place cake in the freezer until icing layer sets up. Now you can decorate with buttercream icing like with any cake. We often used cold "hot fudge" for icing when putting on edgings.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran

http://farmsteadfripperies.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Sheep Mom 2 on Feb 03 2012 12:40:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2012 :  1:02:36 PM  Show Profile
Well, let us know how it turns out!!

Mary LD

Go to Top of Page

Hoosiermom
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Beth
Alexandria IN
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2012 :  01:35:58 AM  Show Profile
I just made one for my son(9) at his request. I crushed oreos & a little butter & put in in coated 9x13 pan for the crust & froze for about an hour. The next layer I used a softened 1/2 gallon of mint chocolate chip ice cream, then froze it for about an hour. Then a layer of hot fudge ice cream topping in a jar, heated it like the directions on the jar say to do, spread that on top of the ice cream, the added some more crushed oreos (mint this time or Keebler grasshopper cookies) and freeze this layer for another hour. Add next layer of softened mint ice cream, about another 1/2 gallon & then topped with a few more broken pieces of oreos & drizzled with hot fudge and froze again until ready to eat. This is a little time consuming because of having to freezed between layers, but it was a big hit with everyone!!
I have also made my favorite with moose tracks ice cream & peanut butter oreos, YUM!!! Both are very rich, but we are sweet eaters & it's fun for a special occasion because it is different.
Beth
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2012 :  12:59:47 PM  Show Profile
I have a very good, very easy ice cream cake recipe.

24 ice cream sandwiches
8 oz. cool whip
2 king size Butterfingers, crushed
1 small squeeze bottle chocolate syrup
1 small squeeze bottle caramel syrup

In a 9x11" pan, layer 12 ice cream sandwiches on bottom to fit the pan. Spread 1/2 tub of cool whip over top, drizzle 1/2 bottle of chocolate syrup and 1/2 bottle of caramel syrup over cool whip, then sprinkle 1 crushed Butterfinger on top. Repeat layers. Freeze for one hour, then serve. Can cut recipe in half if needed.

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2012 :  5:12:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Call Wilma, Jonni. :) She fixed one yesterday that was so yummy I ate two pieces! HA HA! And it was pretty easy, according to her. She used a box of ice cream sandwiches for the bottom layer and then cool whip....well, just call her and she'll tell you the recipe. Wish I had some right now. Is there an icon for drooling???? ;)
ps: It sounds a lot like Stephanie's, but no butterfingers and maybe more Cool Whip.
Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'

Edited by - Miss Bee Haven on Feb 05 2012 5:13:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  07:20:55 AM  Show Profile
I was at Target on Wednesday night as saw they had both a dark chocolate dessert sauce and a caramel dessert sauce on clearance for $1.00 so I snatched them both up! I plan on using them as "dividers" between the layers of ice cream, along with some cookie crumbs...YUM! I'm very much looking forward to this--now, just to pick out my ice cream flavors.

Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  4:11:46 PM  Show Profile
My daughter always wanted ice cream cake for her birthday growing up. With a summer birthday and living in Arizona, it did make sense! I used a springform pan. Crushed Oreos for the bottom crust, chocolate covered graham crackers for the sides. Then layer ice cream, crushed oreos, fruit (usually berries), more ice cream, then usually chocolate or caramel (depending on the flavor of the ice cream) drizzled on top. Freeze and then take out of the freezer about 10 minutes before serving for easier slicing.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  07:43:29 AM  Show Profile
I just wanted to thank all of you for your help with the ice cream cake! It was a great success and was by far, so much easier than a regular old cake (for me, anyway).

I have pictures, but forgot my camera today--

Here's what I did:
I made one layer of devils food cake (the other batter was turned into cupcakes); I "torted" the layer 2 times and laid the first layer in the spring form pan.
*On top of this layer, I spread softened "country vanilla" from Kroger's Private Selection.

*on top of the vanilla, I placed another layer of cake.

*on top of this layer, I spread warmed carmel dessert topping, then refroze for about 10 minutes.

*on top of the caramel, I place Graeters Mocha Chip ice cream

*another layer of cake

*I frosted the cake with homemade whipped cream (sweetened with confectioners sugar and vanilla).

*Since Clifford (The Big Red Dog) was the theme, I decorated with red sanding sugar around the sides and edge, and chocolate jimmies in the center.

Everyone raved and I so appreciate all the help and advice--definitely a hit!

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  3:33:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Looking forward to pics of the cake and the big day! :)

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

fiddlegirl89
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Kayla
Dunnville KY
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  5:02:33 PM  Show Profile  Send fiddlegirl89 an AOL message  Send fiddlegirl89 a Yahoo! Message
I need to try this for my dad sometime. He loves ice cream cakes and we usually just buy one, but have a hard time finding one he likes. (He loved Dairy Queen's but we have no Dairy Queen here)

Once, when I was a teenager he was on a major health kick so I decided to make a healthy ice cream cake for his birthday. I made a carob cake (ick) and then layered it with homemade ice cream and froze it. NO ONE liked it...it was definitely an "it's the thought that counts" moments! I should try again with these ideas!

www.crazykcreates.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  05:48:51 AM  Show Profile

Here's a pic for Janice!

@Kayla--you crack me up about the carob ice cream cake. It's a shame that noone liked it, but that's most definitely the "thought that counts" kind of cake! I'm sure your effort was well appreciated!

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  06:16:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Hooray! There's the birthday girl! And her delicious cake, too! Miss you guys! Wilma asked about you all last week. She's doing good after her back surgery. She went home in a day and is planning on Burlington in April.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  06:39:29 AM  Show Profile
We miss you guys, too! All this nicer weather makes me feel like Burlington is just around the corner--WAIT! It IS!!!! I sent Wilma a message on FB the day after her surgery to check in--she seemed to be feeling "ok" but very sore, as could be expected. I knew she wouldn't stop what she was doing...

I'm very much looking forward to Burlington and seeing everyone! Also, in May, the model show is in L'ville again, so Jus is attempting to make it down--that would mean a day of hanging with you folks if you'll be around. I'll let you know what the date is when I find out myself!

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  07:17:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Just let us know the day/date, Jonni.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2012 :  07:19:24 AM  Show Profile
I know it's sometime in May, like the one years ago. I'll check with him tonight to make sure. May will be here before we know it!

Go to Top of Page

Peg Graham
True Blue Farmgirl

281 Posts

Peg
Chesapeake Virginia
USA
281 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2012 :  12:29:24 PM  Show Profile
This is the recipe I use. I think Michelle Duggar's recipe, right? We like this one!
-------------

quote:
Originally posted by sjmjgirl

I have a very good, very easy ice cream cake recipe.

24 ice cream sandwiches
8 oz. cool whip
2 king size Butterfingers, crushed
1 small squeeze bottle chocolate syrup
1 small squeeze bottle caramel syrup

In a 9x11" pan, layer 12 ice cream sandwiches on bottom to fit the pan. Spread 1/2 tub of cool whip over top, drizzle 1/2 bottle of chocolate syrup and 1/2 bottle of caramel syrup over cool whip, then sprinkle 1 crushed Butterfinger on top. Repeat layers. Freeze for one hour, then serve. Can cut recipe in half if needed.

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

~miles of smiles~
Peg Graham
http://unforgettable-peggraham.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2012 :  12:00:25 AM  Show Profile
O my gosh.
Which recipe to try first?
Marianne
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Anyone have a recipe for an ice cream cake? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page