Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Happy February--Don't forget Backyard Bird Count!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Happy February--Don't forget Backyard Bird Count! Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  06:18:00 AM  Show Profile
Just wanted to remind all you farmgirls who love their wild birds to participate in the Backyard Bird Count February 18-21. Here is a link to log into (when you have your results) and post them, along with everyone else in the US who participates. It's such a great tool to study migration and climate patterns for these birds and if you feed them like I do (suet, 2 feeders with sunflower, meal worms and other icks that birdees love ;)) you're bound to see tons of different birds!

http://www.birdsource.org/

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  06:30:57 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for posting this Jonni - I was just wondering about birds - saw a whole flock of robins yesterday and was wondering if that was normal for January. I love watching the birds in our yard - we keep part of it wild so there is some habitat.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  08:50:52 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, I think they're all a bit screwed up right now, with the weird temps. Don't have any robins yet, but the gold finches and less finches stayed around this season and that's unusual. I've had a slew of woodpeckers this year, one that's about a foot long, no joke! He's amazing and has this "cinnamon" colored neck--not red, not rust colored, but still bright. And he sounds like a Teradactyl!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  09:11:45 AM  Show Profile
That is an awesome site. I'll be tracking birds, there are a lot down here right now. Thanks for the info.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  09:19:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for posting this - we are avid birders and always participate in the Backyard Bird Count. My husband organizes the Christmas Bird count for our area - this year was a bust because of horrible weather (very windy, overcast, and rainy)but we still got out and saw some good birds.

Do you think you have a Pileated Woodpecker? But they have black necks and even larger than twelve inches... Hmmm... Maybe just a freakishly large Common (Yellow-Shafted)Flicker? They can be pretty big and loud.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  10:06:31 AM  Show Profile
I'm so glad to "meet" avid birders! We live in a wooded area, and I really try to attact migrating birds along with the "usual suspects".

My favorite visitors are the titmouses, the nuthatches and the wrens--they're little quirky tails are so sweet, and their faces so inquisitive! I do love my Cardinals and Blue jays and all the others, too, though.

Lorraine, I feel like it's a rather large Red Bellied woodpecker--they are usually much smaller, but this bird is ginormous. We do have the hairy woodpeckers, too.

Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  11:01:00 AM  Show Profile
Jonni - our "usual suspects" are similar to yours - with the exception of the titmouse, we don't see a lot of those. One of our all time favorite winter lodgers are the White Crowned Sparrows. They are here from late Sept through April... I love them because they're one of the only birds who really sings in the winter... We usually have red-bellied and downy's - but not too many hairy's or red-headed - on occasion, but not a lot.

This year we've had a lot of Snowy Owls in the area - not in our yard (darn it). Its even made the news. So far, we haven't seen one, but we keep trying. Have you seen "The Big Year?" We haven't but plan to watch it when it comes to On Demand.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  11:13:19 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
jonni, thanks so much for posting this site. we have alot of birds here and now i have a great web source to learn more about the birds.
my youngest grandaughter, autumn was here last weekend and we went for a long walk to view the birds and check out some ducks that are on our tank.
our birds seem very confused this year and i have seen birds just this past week flying south in formation.

love
frannie in texas
farmgirl sister#807
home of "green"crafts,
where no scrap is left behind
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  12:29:34 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Lorraine, I do wish the Titmouse made a regular appearance at your boxes. I can't get by a day in the spring or the summer, reading a book on the porchswing without him hanging onto the chain of the swing "yelling" at me to go inside so he can eat. Funny, the feeders are no where near the porchswing, they're just bossy little buggers! I get so tickled at them, the more I say, "well, just go on with yourself, you can eat in peace!", the more he yells back!

I'll have to look the Snow capped sparrow up in my bird book--I keep it right by the window so I can see "who's visiting" if there is a new face. Boy, wouldn't I love to see a Snow Owl! We have had owls in the past, but they've moved on after a time. As neat as I think they are, I always hated that he hunted when I had the windows open in the late spring, and I'd hear those poor bunnies scream when he snatched them up. Mother Nature can get me sometimes!!!

@Frannie, happy to, even happier that you will enjoy it! Share this with Autumn and you guys could have an awesome thing to enjoy together! I think the birds are really confused this year--these warm temperatures have everything a little wonky. I'm running around without a coat on today!

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  2:39:12 PM  Show Profile
I'm up for this! Thanks for alerting us!
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  4:16:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jonni-
Thanks for posting this- my family has been doing this for years and we love it! One year my daughter even incorporated this into part of her science fair project, by using different color bird feeders to see it the birds were partial to the various colored feeders.
In fact, as a reminder to all- there is a "new" farmgirl merit badge entitled "Birds". My farmgirl chapter is participating in the local Ranger led Backyard Bird Count event on Saturday 2/18, its a 3 mile ranger guided hike to observe and count the birds at a local estate. By doing this, we can actually earn the expert level of the badge! We are all doing our "homework" ahead of time to earn the beginner and intermediate levels.
Such great fun! I LOVE watching and feeding the birds!
Enjoy everyone!
Smiles,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Happy February--Don't forget Backyard Bird Count! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page