Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Unsure if I should trust my pressure canned sauce
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Unsure if I should trust my pressure canned sauce Next Topic  

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  12:54:36 PM  Show Profile
Afternoon ladies,

About three days ago I pressure canned some speghetti sauce. It had 3/4 inch of head space and I did 11 pounds of pressure at 90 minutes for my quart jars. When I pulled them out they looked like this

The reason I pressure canned it was because I had used loose pork sausage in it and thought it best to pressure can. After they cooled, I put them into the fridge just to be sure until my disconnect to reconnet weekend was over. Also there was like an oil in the pressure canner water and sauce was under the rims.

So do you think it would be safe to keep outside the fridge for an extended period of time?

---
Farmgirl #2951
No longer renting, offical farmgirl.
Check out my new blog at http://featheredhattrading.blogspot.com/

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  12:59:16 PM  Show Profile
either use it up right away (keep in frig), or toss, I would not store it, period...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  1:01:17 PM  Show Profile
can I ask for a why? what went wrong... lids not on tight enough, rims not on tight enough, too much pressure, too little?

---
Farmgirl #2951
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  3:30:09 PM  Show Profile
Just think major food poisening...your gauge might be off, chips in the jars, left any amount of sauce on the lid/seal edges...without being there it is hard to know for sure...remember to replace your pressure canner seal and gauge every few years to be safe...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  8:32:41 PM  Show Profile
Emily, it looks to me like you have more than a 3/4" headspace there which means some of the sauce leaked out. That sounds like too much pressure to me. I agree that if you are using a gauged canner, it may be off and those need to be checked every year. I'll tell you what I do now, as I used to can my spaghetti sauce with the meat in it - I now only can the vegetable and spice part (waterbath) and add about a 1/2 tsp vinegar per quart to make sure the acidity is up and then, when time to make fresh sauce, I cook the meat fresh, add the canned sauce and include 1/2 tsp baking soda to cut the bitterness and acidity of the canned tomato sauce. It works everytime. Anything that you make from tomatoes will taste a little bitter when canned and then cooked and the soda works like a charm. I have given up canning with the meat because it really kind of gives the sauce a different taste canned. The other thing you might consider is giving a full 1" headspace since the sauce is thicker and requires extra space. Just some thoughts.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  6:01:39 PM  Show Profile
wait... do I let the jars seal before putting them into the pressure canner?

---
Farmgirl #2951
And my new Etsy listings http://www.etsy.com/shop/alterationsbyemily
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  6:12:54 PM  Show Profile
Are you trying to reproccess your jars? If so, you need to empty the sauce, wash the jars and put the sauce back in, toss the lids that you had on them and use new lids that have been warmed in hot water with clean rings. They you will reprocess in the pressure canner and that is what seals them. However, if your gauge is not accurate, pressuring again is not a good idea. Is that what you are asking?

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Unsure if I should trust my pressure canned sauce Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page