wovenheart
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Dona
Washington State
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  11:52:03 AM  Show Profile
Any antique lovers out there? My passions are many but right now when looking around my home my current faves are old mercury glass vases, English white ironstone, old Catholic church votive holders, vintage folk art shell pieces with my eye towards religious art, old Japanese fish floats (I love the way the color reflects off the sunlight:), vintage children's miniature watering cans. I also love old garden accessories... What's your passions!

"It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder...It's the stillness that fill me with peace."

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  3:48:54 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Dona,
I LOVE antiques!! My favorites (though who knows what I will buy and drag home! ) are, furniture, cooking/kitchen items, picnic items, musical intruments (if they can still be played), toys, sport/game items, LP records, and antique medical supplies (small ones), and some books. I think those are the big ones anyway !! Thank you for a neat topic I look forward to seeing who else enjoys what!!
Hugz,
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"

Edited by - Buttercup on Aug 31 2006 5:57:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Texas
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Cynthia
Mena Arkansas
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  8:28:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Cindy Texas an AOL message
I am so excited because I get to go to a small town in Texas tomorrow that is full of little antique shops and I can't wait. I am going to take my time and go in each one. I love to collect flow blue china, old copper, baskets and cooking items.

Cindy
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2006 :  02:42:06 AM  Show Profile
Oh, this is going to be a long and interesting thread, I can just see it now, because this will strike a chord with everybody at MJF! My biggest favorite category is old things horticultural, old tools, flowerpots, watering cans, pictures of botanicals, butterflies/dragonflies/birds...also love old baskets and pottery, like McCoy and Roseville but they are priced sky high sometimes now. And any of this stuff I can get for FREE makes it even more special. My sis and I used to "troll" my neighborhood on the evening before trash collection, and even spread out to two other neighborhoods. I cannot believe what people toss to the curb sometimes.... I have gotten a package of jelly jars still shrinkwrapped, neat old mason jars, watering can, miscellaneous teacups, rakes, large old "presentation" basket with tall handle and metal liner still watertight! Old child's sled, garden bench with wrought iron armrests (my sis renovated that), telephone stand.....I could go on. Can't wait to see what the other gals cherish and covet! Nance
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2006 :  03:51:44 AM  Show Profile
Put me in the "I love antiques!!" category as well. The problem I have is- so many antiques, so little space to put them. Hence, the weeding-out frenzy at my house. I am trying to keep only family things, and things I cannot bear to part with. I have had to be ruthless! All sorts of things are now under the house waiting to be someone else's treasure! Now, when I go to a yard or estate sale, I have a much more critical eye. I find it to be much more fun being disciplined. The thrill of the "find" is that much sweeter.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2006 :  03:58:20 AM  Show Profile
I'm a garden-collector, too -- especially ivory or salmon vases by McCoy, Shawnee, etc.; blue-green flowerpots; miniature iron wheelbarrows; botanicals; old garden benches; cloches. I love finding restaurantware china in red and white. Also Jadite! Ivory-handled silverware; bakelite. Old linens. Paper ephemera. And then there's Christmas -- vintage brush trees, ornaments, silver tinsel, etc. Nance, I'm a trash-picker, too . . . last year found an iron garden bench, an old sewing machine with wooden dome cover, and -- be still my heart -- vintage Christmas ornaments and brush trees!

I love these lists -- it's like going to a flea market with friends and seeing what each one finds. Wouldn't that be fun?
Go to Top of Page

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2006 :  06:33:32 AM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
Yes, I confess I love antiques and collectables. As Frannie said, Anything that makes my heart sing. My states really very. In my kitchen you can find things like old mason jars, crocks, enamalware, and even an old phone. The bath has my seashells, miss matched salt & pepper shakers(these hold bath salts), & old pharmacy containers (like epson salt& milk of Magnesia). The dinning & family rooms is were you find my depression & carnival glass, and miss matched china & ironstone. Scattered here & there is my milkglass & old linens, and old books. I like books that have to do with American History, and old maps and plats. I have got a collections of old soda bottles, insulators, and (my latest addition) old pictures paintings and drawings of Yosemite and other California scenery.

I have tons of stuff, but the key for me is to be able to use the items I pick up. Crates hold magazines, books, and albums. Crooks hold potatoes & onions. Mason jars hold salt pepper and other spices. My old library card files holds pictures. My old lap desk works great as a jewelry box. I use an old window as a message board, writing on it with a grease pencil. Just recently I started collecting vintage jewelry. I just love the rhinestone pins that resemble snowflakes. I think I will eventually use them in my room to add a little sparkle and romance.

I my gosh I could go on forever!!

Elizabeth

http://livingcountrystyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2006 :  09:16:19 AM  Show Profile
Katie-Ell, you hit the jackpot with your trashpicking and I am sure you sucked air when you saw that vintage Christmas stuff! I would have had to go home and change my pants (ha)! (Note to self: no liquids for two hours prior to trashin'!) I love hearing how you guys decorate and what everybody cherishes; too much fun! Nance
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2006 :  5:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
LOL Nancy! Yes trashing is great!! So many things you can find! It is wonderful (except for the funny looks ya get ) And I also enjoy old farm/garden items as well!! They are wonderful !! This thread is great!! Thanks Dona so much!!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"

Edited by - Buttercup on Aug 31 2006 5:57:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2006 :  5:58:46 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
We called it dumpster diving in art class. Lots of people who are artist do it to find supplies for their next piece of work ( cheeply so to say)

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2006 :  6:09:10 PM  Show Profile
Did I tell you all.....strawberries, strawberries, strawberries. I currently have around 60 (yes sixty) strawberry cookie jars. Some McCoy, from California, PoppyTrail, and ceramic. I just love them. Also, Johnson Brothers Strawberry Fair dinnerware! I think it is so beautiful! Strawberry........I also try and find strawberry embroidery, old strawberry tablecloths, anything with strawberries. I have lot's of old tins with them as well. They have always made me happy!

My mother always said I would tire of them, but never have. When I find another cookie jar, it too will have a new home with me!!!!

love, hugs, and strawberries, gloria g. Richards, TX

P.S. also love old sewing goods!

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2006 :  7:28:45 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
so just guess how many stawberries do you have in your house berries

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2006 :  9:15:07 PM  Show Profile
Oh sunshine, more than I can count! I have lot's and lot's of things - all with strawberries! My grandchildren always try and count, but can't! My husband puts up with it all nicely! :>)

gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2006 :  9:27:17 PM  Show Profile
well, I have a collection of teacups now thanks to the gals here at Mary Jane's ..after my first teacup swap..my husband went out to an antique store and came back with 5 teacups and saucers for me!

I also collect little wooden dutch shoes.

I also have a small collection of vintage hats and purses.

I haven't really added to any of my collections lately as I have really just gone through a major house cleaning out.

I do like vintage sheet music especially if it depicts scenes that look Italian or Victorian of couples, vintage advertisements of things like fox hunt scenes or women with hunting rifles or things like that and victorian looking things...or colorful and detailed children type illustrations.
Old photos and cards/postcards.

I also am considering starting a collection of old fruit labels..they have always intrigued me. So that might be my next collection to get into.

Of the things that I do like..my collections aren't very big.Just a few items here and there.

I guess kind of a mish mash of things that are pretty and that somehow manage to "go together" to create a nice decor...something fun and pretty to look at.:0)

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

wovenheart
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Dona
Washington State
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2006 :  10:27:56 AM  Show Profile
How fun to read about everyones collections!!! As I was typing my original post I kept hearing my husband's favorite words "liquidate" over & over...I told him that I was going to have them tattooed on his eyeballs so he would never have to mutter them again*<:) I truly have gotten to the point in my life that I really don't need one more thing but I love being surrounded by things that I've been collecting since I was 13 with money earned from babysitting. Looking forward to even more responses!

"It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder...It's the stillness that fill me with peace."
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2006 :  3:11:00 PM  Show Profile
My collection is books. Nothing exciting, but I love to collect both new and old books.

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2006 :  4:55:32 PM  Show Profile
TINA
I see you collect purses, well I saw this cute little mesh purse when out garage saleing, it was , get this, .10 cents. Brand new, or at least in a box never used. came home looked it up, one hundred and fifeteen dollars. It's a witting, that is the name. and I have a leather art deco purse from my DH'S aunt that I think has a good value. They were going to throw it out. Also have several old beaded purses I have gotten from here and there. Can't pass them up when I see them IF I can afford them , I mean .10 cents, what is that? Why didn't they just keep it? Glad they didn't!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2006 :  5:00:02 PM  Show Profile
alison,
Yes books, always want more books and more time to read them, I see books on line, and the girls here tell us about books they like, and I read about books that might be good, and then I just see books when out a sales and book stores, just love having them. why is that I wonder?
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2006 :  06:33:33 AM  Show Profile
I loved old stuff since I started going to flea markets and yard sales as a kid with my Mom. She always had a unique eye for something
that she could do with some unusual things but it always turned out great.(Old cottage dresser mirror frame became the molding around our pass through with a little reconfiguration!) I love lots of stuff but lately have been adding to my antique yard stick and wooden knitting needle "collections". The knitting needles started as my Grams and I've just added to it, but don't ask how the yard sticks started! I love old sewing stuff, crocks, ironstone pitchers
quilts, oak furniture, old lace,linens, childrens and gardening books,anything child sized: chairs,quilts, tools, silverware, baby cups, bonnets, gowns ,etc. We have a joke in my house that the only furniture we ever purchased from a" real live" furniture store was our big white iron bed because my husband would not fit in an antique without major modifications. I just think the old stuff makes it feel like home. I do go to a local antique flea market or fair several times a year to sell off some of the surplus, that way I can make room for something new! (I don't usually mention that part to my husband...) He doesn't complain too much, awhile back I sold off a bunch of Roseville(I collected it in my teens when NOBODY wanted it) and it paid for a used truck so I guess that "old stuff" really is worth something!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2006 :  11:14:06 AM  Show Profile
whoa Nancy! you go girl! ten cents! yikes! that's a steal for sure.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2006 :  11:34:55 AM  Show Profile
I love old furniture ( have a double iron bed frame, headboard & footboard in garage - $40 ), old crocks, kitchen stuff, linens, glass, have a collection of fiesta (not antique - but the old stuff), fabrics, what have you. And like a lot of you, I have to be able to use my things. That's what makes them so much more special to me.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2006 :  11:40:43 AM  Show Profile
My mother and I used to make a once a month trip to Burlington, KY

Per the usual, you had to get there early or else all the good stuff would be gone.

I collect antique marbles

Once you learn a bit and study up, it really is fascinating. the really old tyme kind look nothing like the typical machine made chinese checkers marbles.

My favorites are ones called Lutz that have bands of real gold swirls and Sulphurs that have small animals or numbers in them. The images are actually 3-d!

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Collections Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page