Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic My neighbor went beserk Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  5:10:31 PM  Show Profile
He tried to blow up his house. Saturated everything with gasoline but the environment was "too rich" and so didn't ignite--good for me and the other people around him. The corner of my back yard meets the corner of his back yard. So if there had been an explosion, my house would have been damaged. He was in a standoff with the police and shot himself in the head. Last I heard, he was in critical condition. No one knows what caused him to snap. He seemed normal enough, I just never talked to him that much, there was something odd about him. He tried to ask me out once. Boxer would snap at his hands when he tried to pet him, and that's unusual for Boxer. Now his house will probably have to be condemned cause it's soaked in gasoline. This is a pretty quiet neighborhood, so everyone was wondering what happened with him. He apparently was distraught over some personal and financial problems. He kept to himself a lot. I guess you can never really know when a seemingly "normal" person will go crazy. I don't know if he's going to live or not. If he does, he'd probably be brain-damaged for the rest of his life. Other than that, things go on as normal. The house has yellow crime scene tape around it. But things are pretty quiet today. I guess you just never know.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  5:28:07 PM  Show Profile
I am so sorry that you and your neighbors had such a scare, and I am so sorry that he thought all he could do is die, I hope he has family around to give him some sense of peace by talking to him, and if no family, maybe neighbors...I would also be really nervous about his house, so I hope the power was shut off, as well as gas if that is one of his utilitys. I will keep all of you in my thoughts...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  5:30:46 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness! I'm glad you're okay. That is scary and sad.

A hook, a book, and a good cup of coffee....
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  5:53:23 PM  Show Profile
Good grief!! What a shock for you. So glad that you and your home are safe and sound, but oh my, that poor man.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  5:59:42 PM  Show Profile
Yes, the police cut off the utilities. The windows are still open to let the house air out. A couple of the houses next to him were evacuated but they didn't ask me to leave. I don't know if he has family around here but I saw a man and woman there today and they were painting over some messages he had spray-painted. I think he just let himself get too isolated and couldn't think rationally. That's why it's so important to have community. Whether it's family, neighbors, friends--or farmgirls--people need other people. It's too easy to go insane when you're isolated.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  6:02:09 PM  Show Profile
How awful. I had a neighbor kill herself. I visited with her the night before and there was never a clue anything was wrong. Glad you are ok
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  7:48:44 PM  Show Profile
Yikes...what a scary story.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  7:55:42 PM  Show Profile
I'm really, really glad that the house didn't light and you're safe! I'm also sorry your neighbor lost it =/ Sometimes life can get to be too much to bare on your own. You're definitely right about community being necessary!

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  7:58:17 PM  Show Profile
That is so sad! I am so glad his plans didn't work out and that you all are safe. I saddens me to think of how distressed someone mus have been to go to such extremes.

So glad you're safe and sound, Cindy!

Emily
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  10:07:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh my word! I am so glad you and everyone else is safe. What a sad state of affairs. *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  11:54:25 PM  Show Profile
That is SCARY!

However, just because he shot himself in the head, doesn't automatically mean he will have brain damage. My uncle crushed his skull in a motorcycle accident about 20 years ago. Same uncle three years ago was shot in the face/head.....he's still alive and no brain damage. They really thought that would be it, put the shooting in the head with the previously crushed skull so you never know. Also that Mary Jo Buttafucco I don't think has brain damage either and she was shot directly in the head. Just depends on where the bullet decides to go.

I hope he gets help, but doesn't come back to your area! EEK! Scary!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  01:16:45 AM  Show Profile
Holy cow, how do you go on about your business after something like that happens literally in your backyard!? Best wishes in recovering from this...I wouldn't know where to start to try to regain a sense of safety. I guess you just never know what someone might do and all we can do is trust that our neighbor wants to live as badly as we do.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  04:05:00 AM  Show Profile
I saw that story. My DH was reading about it on the Trucker's Blog. He apparently poured diesel fuel all over his semi and started it on fire first. Then went to his house and tried to start it on fire before he shot himself. I had heard that he died. I don't understand what can be so awful in your life to do this. I am glad you and your neighbors are all OK.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  05:53:40 AM  Show Profile
Wow, that's a scary and very sad story! You're right, you just never know what's going on in the house next door. I'm glad you and everyone else is ok. I feel terrible for the man and wonder what kinds of things were going on in his life and I'm sad that he felt he had nowhere to turn. :(

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  08:35:05 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad you're ok and your house was not damaged. So sad about your neighbor - he must have felt so desperate. So sad...

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  08:55:25 AM  Show Profile
I hadn't heard that he died. Though one of my neighbors thinks it would be a blessing--better than going to prison or being disabled for life. I've been sick lately with asthma/bronchitis so I haven't watched the news yet. I'll watch it at noon. It's just a tragic thing to have happen. I really think he lost his mind.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  3:19:39 PM  Show Profile
I watched the news. He died. I don't know what kind of personal problems he was having. The other neighbors didn't notice anything unusual. May he rest in peace.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  3:55:57 PM  Show Profile
Such a sad story - yes, may he rest in peace...

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

fille de ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

2344 Posts

Madeline
Meadow Lands Pa.
USA
2344 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  05:27:00 AM  Show Profile
Glad you are alright :) My husband had these two friends & everytime they would visit, my mild mannered dog would growl & go hide. They both ended up committing suicide, at different times, gun shots to their heads. Animals are a good judge of character. Be glad your dog warned you :)

Blessings
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  08:04:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What a very sad story. My heart breaks for individuals that feel that life has gotten so desperate that the need to kill themselves. :(

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  08:45:24 AM  Show Profile
Happy to hear that you and yours are okay. How sad.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  11:08:31 AM  Show Profile
Desperate Times bring out the Desperation In People. Crime goes up, Suicides go up and Crazy
Emotions Roller Coaster causing people to snap. It is so very sad!!! Such a desperate cry
for help...was silenced by his own hand. Wow...

Glad the rest of the Neighborhood was ok...and that his place didn't go up in flames.

peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  12:30:20 PM  Show Profile
This story is so sad. Those of us who live near people we call "neighbors" but know virtually nothing about and seldom see might want to look into something I found out about through a friend of mine who did a TV news story about it in Pittsburgh recently. It's called "Nextdoor.com." You can go to their website to learn more about it. I started the ball rolling amongst the 7 families who live along our dirt road. It's a way to stay connected, ask for and receive help when it's needed, swap gossip about local events and so on. I hope it will lead to occasional get-togethers at each other's places when the weather gets nice enough for picnics.

Thank you for sharing your story, horrible as it is. It spurred me to take action to bridge a few gaps in my own personal life. Who knows how it might change someone else's life?
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  04:54:11 AM  Show Profile
Wow I am glad I live in the country with no neighbors close buy yet. They are suppose to be developing the property behind us. My husband said the other night when that happens we are selling and moving. i told him that was fine but he would have to buy more property out in the country.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  11:10:00 AM  Show Profile
So sad... I'm glad you weren't hurt. Praying for that man's family... I'm sure someone is missing him... :(

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

www.jodielyzabeth.blogspot.com
www.jodieliza.etsy.com
www.pinterest.com/jodieliza
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic My neighbor went beserk Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page