Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Wanting to learn garment construction.....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Wanting to learn garment construction..... Next Topic  

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  08:48:55 AM  Show Profile
I really would like to learn how to make clothing that is well fitted - so how to alter patterns, etc. Have any of you run into books, tutorials, or classes that you think would help? There are several books that I have seen but sometimes you buy a book and it really isn't that in depth, just has lots of pretty pictures and projects that would look good on a model but not a real person....
Also pattern-making, although that might be down the road a bit.
I have a fair amount of vintage sewing books that have good information in them but I would like to supplement with something current. Thanks for any ideas you have!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  11:04:53 AM  Show Profile
Amy, my (non-library) background is in fashion design, but short of plunking down $ for classes the single best resource I can suggest is a 1968 paperback called Instant Sewing. I can't seem to find the full text online, but the book is available everywhere from eBay to etsy for four or five bucks. Be sure to look for the one with an hourglass on the cover!

A hook, a book, and a good cup of coffee....
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  11:41:51 AM  Show Profile
Threads Magazine from Interweave has lots of DVD's available on garment construction, fitting etc. and they are an invaluable source. They also have beginning sewing tutorials on their web site.
http://www.threadsmagazine.com/

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran

http://farmsteadfripperies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  05:02:45 AM  Show Profile
AmyGrace - just saw on Facebook yesterday that Craftsy (www.craftsy.com) is offering an online class in couture fashion. I think this would probably be pretty helpful for what you are looking to learn. It was pretty reasonable ($39.99), and includes all the videos online, the paper handouts, and the Vogue pattern for some cute dresses. If I wasn't up to my eyeballs with Master Gardener classes, the Creative Blogger contest, and blog production right now, I'd take it myself!

It may not be exactly what you need at the moment, but would certainly give you the skills I think you are hoping to learn.

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  6:52:17 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the heads-up Ann - that sounds like exactly what I'm looking for....going to go check it out now!

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Wanting to learn garment construction..... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page