Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 I know it might be silly to cry, but....UPDATE!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic I know it might be silly to cry, but....UPDATE! Next Topic  

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  3:06:34 PM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls,

We've been having some very unstable weather in our area lately, included days of high winds.

We discovered today that these winds damaged several of our trees pretty severely (split, snapped or cracked trunks). The arborist was out today and said for safety all the damaged ones will have to be cut down Monday (and this is a wonderful tree service we've worked with for years - I know they wouldn't recommend this if it wasn't necessary).

This includes the family's absolute favorite tree, a big 100+ year old Maple. It's a 4-trunk tree, and the arborist said they would try to save as much of it as they can, but I really started crying when he told me the bad news. I know we still have lots of healthy trees left, but losing even these makes me so sad.

Is it silly to be so upset?

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Edited by - LuckyMommyof5 on Jan 31 2012 11:54:40 AM

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  3:20:28 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne...NO, not silly at all. I think it is awful when devestation happens to any of God's
Glorious Creation...but I have lived long enough to know He Re-creates Miracles in the midst
of total devestation. I lived through Mount Saint Helens Eruption...where an entire Mountain
of trees blew down into the Tootle (?) River and they looked like match sticks. The heat literally
singed off all their leaves, needles and branches. And now it is so Breath-takingly Beautiful again.
God is in the Business of "Restoration" in more ways than one.

So, let your tears water what's left and let God add the Growth! After all... He is a Master Gardener!

Living Loved,

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jan 27 2012 3:21:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  3:32:37 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the kind words, PeggyAnn. They really warmed my heart.

I've always been a firm believer in the saying, "When God closes a door, He opens a window somewhere." I know it's the way of all things - a cycle of creation, destruction and re-creation. It's just always hard to see something as beautiful in the natural world as a tree go down. I also feel guilty for being this sad when I know that others (even Farmgirls right on this forum) have suffered greater destruction on their properties this year from extreme weather.

I guess I'm just really attached to my trees!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  3:35:45 PM  Show Profile
My husband always say's, God is the painter ,he paints the picture. And his son builds it for he is the Master Carpenter.
Blessings Marlee
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  4:03:50 PM  Show Profile
Marlee, well said! I love that.
Suzanne, I do understand your tears. You've seen those trees grow, etc... I know when we get hurricanes through our area, we loose several trees, and my heart just aches. I had six big oak trees in the front of my house, and a few years ago a hurricane blew down the biggest of the oaks. I was crying like a big baby. Even today, I look at the other five trees and it still saddens me. It is alright for you to cry.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4745 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4745 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  4:08:11 PM  Show Profile
I completely understand too Suzanne. I get upset any time I see a tree damaged by a storm or worse, be cut down for no reason at all! Even when they aren't in my yard. I'm sure you will be able to plant new trees and perhaps add some flowers now that it won't be so shady in certain areas.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  4:08:31 PM  Show Profile
It's perfectly normal to me to cry over a tree. They define our surroundings and become a part of our lives. I would have cried, too.

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  5:00:32 PM  Show Profile
Trees are sources of comfort--it's natural to cry over them. Maybe you can collect a piece of bark, or a branch, and preserve it, and thus honor the tree that way. I have a piece of bark from the local "grandfather tree" in our neighborhood before it was cut down. When one of the maples in my front yard had to go, I blessed it first. The other maple is now more beautiful than it was before, since it's no longer competing for nutrients in the soil.It's branched out more and is more colorful in the fall. You could even draw a sketch of the tree. Just don't worry about shedding tears for a tree--you're not the first.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  5:45:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would be so sad too! I agree- not silly at all to cry. Maybe you could plant another of the same variety where it could grow and become the next 100 year tree. Hopefully they are able to prune and the established roots will help the tree recover. Do you do any woodworking? Could you keep the wood and do something? Or maybe hire a local artist to build something with the wood for you?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2012 :  08:17:58 AM  Show Profile
It's never silly to cry over a life you love.

A hook, a book, and a good cup of coffee....
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2012 :  09:38:17 AM  Show Profile
Losing big old trees, are like losing a big old friends, yes cry, I know I would. My trees here have alot of stories to tell, and I wish I spoke tree...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2012 :  2:12:36 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Farmgirls. All your words of support and comfort really help. I just hate to see any tree go, but the loss of that huge old Maple will really hurt. It's a massive 4-trunk tree, and the arborist said there is a very small possibility they may be able to save part of it. I'm saying a prayer and crossing my fingers. The others definitely have to go because the damage was too extensive, but we'll know the ultimate fate of my favorite Maple on Monday.

I loved the suggestion about sketching and photographing. I also liked the idea of saving a portion of the wood and making something of it. Thank you for thinking of ways to help me hold on to my memories.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Edited by - LuckyMommyof5 on Jan 28 2012 2:18:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  01:08:45 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Suzanne, what a loss. I am so sorry. Our trees frame our farms and homes and each one is so important. I am so sad to hear you will lose so many. So glad to hear you have someone you trust doing the work. I hope many of the trees come back fuller and stronger. They do look a bit "crazy" for awhile after a big trim...
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  7:55:06 PM  Show Profile
I can't even thin seedlings. I can't bring myself to dig up and kill a plant when it's so perfectly alive. Sigh. I'd probably go talk to the poor tree and say goodbye.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  8:03:45 PM  Show Profile
Julie - you are a Farmgirl after my own heart! I feel exactly the same way. I am still holding on to my slim hope that they can save 2 of the 4 trunks and the tree will stay alive, even if only half of it's former self. I'm really saying a prayer for it.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  7:02:43 PM  Show Profile
Not silly at all Julie! I have cried over old old trees that have had to be taken down. I have an ancient apple tree right now that is half dead but the live part bears apples and isn't unstable. I have a feeling it won't be more than another year or two before I will be crying over that old friend.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  11:53:37 AM  Show Profile
Thank you again, Farmgirls, for always lending supprt and words of kindness.

Yesterday, many of our trees came down or had severe trims, but we had a little miracle, too.

Despite the arborist's fears that all four of my old Maple's trunks had been severely damaged by other the other trees falling on it, it was discovered this was not the case. Two of the tree's trunks were completely snapped, but when those were removed (and the other fallen trees), they found there was only surface damage to the bark. Some additional limbs had to come down, but we get to keep our favorite Maple - which is now a 2-trunk tree instead of a four trunk!!!! I was so happy I cried about this, too - only for joy.

The two trunks that were removed left the tree with a natural "seat" and my girls and I tried it out already. When the tree is in leaf it will be an amazing place to sit.

I was still sad to see the other trees have to go, but the miracle with this tree really helped!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  12:43:18 PM  Show Profile
Bittersweetness! My heart ached and my tears flowed when during a nasty ice storm hit our area two years ago. The winds were horrific too! It snapped many of the mighty branches from an old oak tree in our front yard. Which many of the branches crashed our roof. I was saddened with the roof but knowing it will be repaired, it was just a hiccup. When the tree people came to saw off many of the limbs. The life of that old oak tree was questionable. They did their best trimming what they must trim and saved others. I asked for a slice of the largest branch, so I could count its life-rings. Well two years later, that mighty oak tree still is faithful in shading our home from the west sitting sun and supporting many condos that the squirrels had engineered and live in. The tree seems to flourish better than before. By the way, the count on the rings of the branch reached 118+.

I am happy that your favorite maple tree will be okay. I bet that you are looking forward to see it's Spring growth!

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: following my heart, dreams and Jesus ~http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
My Etsy: Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures ~http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  12:49:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow! That is wonderful!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  2:05:05 PM  Show Profile
Karrieann- that's terrible about your ice storm. I'm glad to hear your family made it through ok and your oak has flourished despite the damage.

It is wonderful, Alee! The arborist and the tree crew were completely shocked to discover that the other two trunks had suffered only surface damage. From what happened to them, and considering the other two were cracked almost completely through, the arborist's initial inspection did not give us much hope. He said eliminating the broken trunks may even make it healthier in the end! I'm just so happy about this outcome!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  7:22:14 PM  Show Profile
I have cried over losing a tree. I keep thinking as I read these posts....is there some way you could keep some of the Maple and have something made of it? Maple is such nice wood for woodworking. Then you and your family would still have a "piece " of it to enjoy. The way they cut trees now, to make it safe, makes it hard to keep large pieces, but you might inquire.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  01:00:46 AM  Show Profile
Shirley...that is a great idea! But I am also glad that you have that Natural Seat to sin on...and it
will be so nice in the summer.

Karianne...I loved your story too about your tree. They are Precious blessings!

Love and Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!
Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  12:35:20 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne...WHEW!

A hook, a book, and a good cup of coffee....

Edited by - GirlwithHook on Feb 01 2012 12:36:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Joyce Anna
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Joyce
Westcliffe, CO
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  10:05:55 PM  Show Profile
What beautiful and encouraging notes regarding the loss of the much loved trees. I also think it is something to cry about. The trees that surround our homes, farms and ranches really do express God's magnificent creations in all parts of this great country. In November I visited my family in Houston and received a phone call about a wind storm that had hit our area out in Westcliffe, CO, which is surrounded by the Sangre de Cristo and Wet Mountains, part of the Rockies. The wind took down hundreds and hundreds of very large trees that were all along the mountain range. I was told that our home and ranch were "ok" but the wind had taken down a very large cedar tree that was on our Native American Rock outcropping on our circle drive. Our neighbor came over and cut the tree trunk and all the branches so I would be able to drive up to the house when I returned. I have to admit, like you, I was not prepared to see how much it had changed what we now see from our kitchen window. I miss the beautiful cedar and had thought of the many years it had lived nestled in the rocks. Our ranch is located on what was open range many years ago and we know the Native Americans hunted and lived in this area. I would like to think they were shaded by the tree and perhaps rested in the rock outcroppings. It is a great idea that some of the Farm Girl Sisters suggest to maybe take some of the wood and have something special made from it. It's ok for us to cry over the trees, and maybe the tears will in fact "water" a new one. Take care! Blessings, Joyce
Go to Top of Page

Sharon Denise
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

Sharon
Temple TX
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2012 :  09:56:53 AM  Show Profile
No, it's not silly at all! It's still a seemingly senseless loss of life, and it sounds like this tree has really meant something for your family. Think of all the other little girls who've sat under this beautiful tree in the past! I'm so glad that something good came from this though. That maple will mean even more to you and your family now that you can sit under it more easily and keep it company. :-)

Farmgirl Sister #3754
www.facebook.com/bellcountybelles
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. Yet that will be the beginning."
~Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

tangledthreads
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Michelle
Middle Tennessee
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2012 :  08:08:13 AM  Show Profile
You aren't silly at all. I was sick for a whole summer over these two huge beautiful strong oaks hurting no one in this field I drove by everyday to work, then they decided to put in a school there, the trees were no where near the school just to the side a couple hundred yards of the entrance off in an area that wasn't being developed, just a grassy area. I saw them around the tree then but they seemed to be leaving them alone. But then out of no where one day I saw some one cutting them down. It was shocking. It made me sick, I wanted to throw up it was so upsetting. Now there are just huge stumps there, and its just sickening. Why, why, why?! It wasn't hurting anything where it was. I just wish people gave a care about the trees and all the benefits they give us.

*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´Michelle Farmgirl #85

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tangledthreadstn My Altered Art

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tangled-threads My Garden, etc.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
Mahatma Ghandi

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic I know it might be silly to cry, but....UPDATE! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page