Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Helping My Daughter with an Estate Sale
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Helping My Daughter with an Estate Sale Next Topic  

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  06:28:44 AM  Show Profile
My Daughter April takes care of an older couple, they now live in a small apartment, they had to leave there house. They want April to clean there house out and have an estate sale. Well I was over there a few times this week because I'm going to help her. WEEELLLL this might not be a good place for me to be. This house is packed with stuff, going to take us a long time to get though it.Can't believe the stuff, good and bad.They weren't interested in getting rid of things over the years. So this should be a fun hard job.They even have a freezer in the basement that is packed tight with food, all no good.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  07:23:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
It can be overwhelming for sure. I've been working on emptying out my dad's house for the last few months. I'm sure your help will make a huge difference. And some things I would have thought were junk have sold. A lot of old paper stuff. And baseball bats. I've even taken a lot of old metal things(cabinets, etc.) and sold it to a salvage yard. You just never know. Good luck with it, Nancy Jo.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  07:41:27 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Janice, I think we could use your help if you want to come by, park your little camper in my yard. Might even find something for that pretty house you have been working on for the last few years.
Nancy JO

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  8:45:53 PM  Show Profile
I've worked on both my in-law's house, my grandparents' house, and helped a little with a friend's father. It's hard work, but I enjoy it. The thing that makes the biggest difference is knowing that everything in the house is free to go. Have the elderly couple and their family members removed everything they know they want? That will make it so much easier. It's terrible when you have to sort things into so many piles that have to be "signed off on" by so many different family members before they can leave the house.

With my friend's father, he was a packrat and also an amateur historian who had bought up important photos and treasures from the estate sales of older members of the community. So there were real treasures that had to be found and given to the proper local museums. It was exciting!

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  8:49:18 PM  Show Profile
Hey, I forgot to mention...don't forget to look into the documentation that is needed for stuff you donate to charities. Depending on the owner's situation with income taxes, they might really benefit from the tax write-off. We had to categorize and count all the individual items of clothing from my grandparents' house to get an idea of the value to claim.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  04:48:51 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the good advise Amie.It sure is a big job. It will be a few months before the house is ready for the sale.

Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  06:30:28 AM  Show Profile
Gee Nancy - I would love to help; I am not working and remember I live in West Seneca! Really, let me know, sounds like fun!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  07:12:21 AM  Show Profile
Sue, thank you so much for the offer. But the older couple that gave my daughter the key said, only you and your Mother can be there. We do cheat on Wed. when my son in law comes over and helps put all the thrash to the road. This week its several bags and boxes of stuff, plus lots of expired canned goods and dry goods. Such a waste. We will get it sorted out. The sale wouldn't be until late spring.April hasn't decided if she wants to do the sale herself or just the clean out and sorting. We will see. An estate person that does this for a living mught be a better choice because of the amount of stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  07:33:58 AM  Show Profile
Nancy - I certainly understand them not wanting "others" in their home, but if you can let me know when the sale will be that would be great! Thanks and have fun
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  08:00:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It sounds like a huge undertaking, Nancy! I hope all goes well!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Helping My Daughter with an Estate Sale Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page