farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  05:24:38 AM  Show Profile
I just started the book "Amish Peace: Simple Wisdom for a Complicated World" (2009) by Suzanne Woods Fisher. I'm really enjoying it. Has anyone else read it?

I am enjoying it much more than the last couple Amish books I've read. I sometimes get the sense that the author is "talking down" to the Amish, or like patting them on their head, interviewing them and then sending them along on their way. I don't get that impression with this book. :) If you enjoy reading about the Amish and how to cultivate a simple life, this is a great book! :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  08:21:26 AM  Show Profile
Amy: Thanks for the information. I'll put the book on my list. Sounds interesting.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2012 :  6:05:40 PM  Show Profile
But like any culture, one needs to learn about all the aspects of Amish life.

....it's what's inside a women, when she's up against the land.

Farmgirl #680!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/lessielouise22
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2012 :  10:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Amy, I enjoy reading about the Amish. I have been reading Beverly Lewis books and she gave a list of Amish books that people should read if they would like to learn more. Amish Society by John A Hostetler, The Riddle of the Amish by Donald B. Kraybill, and Plain and Amish, An Alternative to Modern Pessimism by Bernd G. Langer I haven't read them yet but when I do I will let you know how they are...but if you want to check them out at least you will have the name and Author...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  04:52:19 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestions, Penny! I think I've read the Riddle of the Amish. I know that Amish Society is quoted quite a bit in a few of the other (non-fiction) Amish books I've read. And I think Plain and Amish sounds like a good book. I will let you know if I can get them from the library and read them! :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Amish Peace Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: