Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Donkeys Next Topic  

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  3:12:09 PM  Show Profile
Hello Farm Sisters! I am new to the Sisterhood and this is my first post. I live on a 35 acre farm and have black angus heifers and two donkeys. Mother Bella is five years old and and her baby Dominic is a six month old gelding. I would like to chat with anyone who has/loves donkeys and can offer advice on their care. I am currently trying to halter train Dominic. Any advice?

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  4:10:59 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to the MJF forum Bella. I'll enjoy reading your posts and your responses.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  4:21:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi Karen - Welcome! I don't have donkeys, but I think they're awfully cute. Post some pictures when you have time. There are a lot of knowledgeable farmgirls out there. I'm sure they'll be able to help you out.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  6:07:01 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE donkeys too!! We have 1 right now, a mini/standard john named Super B. He's 6 this year and we've had him for 1 year come February. I have not worked with any babies oddly enough (donkeys) but I would imagine training would be similar (if not the same as) with a horse--at least that is what we've done with Super B thus far. The lady I got him from never did anything with him other than feed him and pet him, so he has been lots of fun, especially when he has ideas of doing something else. My main advice would be patience and consistency.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  6:18:31 PM  Show Profile
Do you know the song, Dominick the Donkey? I love it and I sing the chorus whenever we drive by the folks in town who have a little donkey who looks just like Donkey from the movie Shrek.
"Hey! Chingedy ching
(hee-haw, hee-haw)
It's Dominick the donkey"

I happen to also have a mule, so she is only half-ass...but full-on beautiful!

Welcome from Missouri!!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  9:37:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi Bella!
Welcome to the Sisterhood! I have two Donkeys, Honka and Sissy. We adore our Donks! They need the same basic care as horses. Shots in the Fall and Spring (depending on where you live and whether they get off the farm will determine which shots), farrier care every 6-8 weeks (usually 6 in summer, can go to 8 in the winter) and teeth checked every Spring, floated as needed.

Feeding is a BIG issue with Donks because they can founder so easily. And once a Donkey gets fat, they cannot lose the the fat pads they usually develop. You want to feed them good grass hay, NO alfalfa, as the sugar content of Alfalfa can founder a Donkey in no time! We also supplement our guys with 1/4 pound a day of a good Equine feed during the Winter months.

As for halter training, it works best in an enclosed area, round pen, stall, etc. Start by introducing the halter (I would use a rope one), rubbing it all over him, if he stands still treat him with a small piece of carrot. Then proceed with slipping it over his neck and leaving it there, if he stands still, treat him again. At this point he should be fairly accepting of the halter, rub his nose with it as if you are going to put it over his nose, then take it off, if he stands still, give him a treat. You should be able to put the halter on him then with out much difficulty. Once you have accomplished that (and it will take as long as it takes, maybe a couple of days) work on desensitizing him to everything you can think of, work on picking up feet, etc.

The more you introduce him to, the easier he will be to handle. The thing about Donkeys is, you have to ask them. If not it becomes a contest of wills. I hope this helps! Good luck with your training!

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  07:23:55 AM  Show Profile
Hi Bella, and welcome, I too am interested in care and training of donkey's. I have had horses all my life until a few years ago when I lost them in a tragic accident, I said no more. Then for whatever the reason I recieved a flyer on donkey rescure in the mail, now I have never given any thought to donkeys in any way. Well after reading and doing my own research I learned that donkeys are the most mistreated domestic animal in America, I then knew what to do next. I am in the process of adopting two donkeys from Peaceful Valley Donkey Rescue. After talking with the staff about care and training I know they are alot like horses is some areas. So I know I will be learning as I go but I will have PVDR and my farmgirl sisters there for the information I need. I look forward to talking donkey with you. Karla
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  09:04:03 AM  Show Profile
Hi Margaret,

Thanks so much for the useful info. I had the rope training halter on Dominic this morning and did just as you said. He doesn't like it and he is strong willed, so it will take some time. I am feeding him and his mom Mare and Foal at present, but will soon change mom's feed to Triple Crown Lite. She gets 24 ounces and he gets 16 ounces. Plus, I give them a little mineral supplement, but will change to a salt block when that's gone. A vet instructed this feeding protocol, but I worry that I'm giving them too much grain. They get a couple flakes of quality hay every day. I wormed them this month; the first time I've done that myself. The vet and farrier come out on a regular basis. Donkeys take more care than I ever imagined!!!

I am so glad to hear from a "sister" who loves donkeys and knows all about them. Would love to hear more about yours. Can't wait to visit your website. Thanks again!

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  09:11:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi Paula,

Yes, I did hear that little song. I'd never heard it before I purchased my donkey. I call the gelding "little man." He is a cute, wooly mess and aggravates his mom to no end.

I would love to have a mule. They are so intelligent. I've heard that they are good guard animals, just like donkeys. Hope to hear more about your mule and would love to see some pics.

Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  09:20:41 AM  Show Profile
Hello Tea Lady,

I would love to post some pics of my donkeys, but I don't know how to do it. I'm new to chat rooms and am just feeling my way around. If I can figure out what to do I'll put some out there.

I love tea and am always on the hunt for tea rooms. My friend collects antique tea cups and saucers and often hosts her own tea parties. She's really into the Alice in Wonderland theme.

Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  09:22:33 AM  Show Profile
There is a donkey training DVD for sale at www.hithger.org. It stands for " Hole in the Head Gang", an equine rescue's funny name. They are sooo great; Dave is an expert donkey trainer, and Ginny got an award from the federal gov't for her work with BLM burros. I need to get a copy of the DVD myself. I am on their yahoo group which is Ears4Fun, a longears group. You can always post donkey questions there, as well as here.
I have 2 rescues, Pinky and Brownie. Thye are tons of fun! I will write more later, I have to get back to work!

Mary

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Donkeys Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page