kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  07:41:56 AM  Show Profile
I went out just now to start pruning my apple and pear trees. I read I am supposed to do this in Jan here. I have 3 apple trees that are ancient and very full. They have needed pruning for years. I have been pruning off around the bottom of these as they are in the yard and I have to mow under them. I really need to get up inside the trees too.

Then I have 3 newer apple trees and 3 pear trees. They are easy to do. One apple tree looks like a dwarf tree.

So is anyone else pruning right now? And how are you doing it? I read that I need to prune all branches that are going inside. And that I should see sky when under them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  09:04:36 AM  Show Profile
After all this rain we are getting and when the trees dry a bit, I plan to prune the citrus trees. I usually wait until the end of February, but some of the branches on these trees are so heavy, I'm afraid they'll break if I don't prune them soon. Happy pruning to you.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

plantcarazy
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Jenn
Montana
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  09:35:28 AM  Show Profile
I usually prune mine in February here (apples, plums, cherries, pears, hardy peach)- any sooner and sometimes we can have too low of temperatures hit us again. I can't wait to see the blossoms and buds come out again! I am itchin' for some dirt between by fingers!

...... A 'Born again Farmgirl' trying to find balance with nature, and being responsible for my actions
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Anyone pruning fruit trees? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page