Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 growth spurt = no brain power?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic growth spurt = no brain power? Next Topic  

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  06:19:15 AM  Show Profile
For the past two weeks, my almost 8 year old has been absolutely forgetful about EVERYTHING - to the point where he can't remember more than one direction at a time, can't remember how to correctly write numbers or letters, can't concentrate on schoolwork (we homeschool). A friend of mine who raised a few boys said she remembers that when they were getting ready to shoot up a few inches in height, they wouldn't become "brainless". Has anyone else experienced this? It is really frustrating and I'm gritting my teeth, trying to be patient. I had a relative tell me the other day "you should have him tested for ADHD" because my son was just totally off the wall and not understanding what I was trying to tell him. I would not say this is normal for him - I would say he's very active and keeps us on our toes, but this serious lack of attention and forgetfulness is just over the past week or two. Growth spurt...or something else?

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  06:32:26 AM  Show Profile
Yes! I've found that as they get ready for their growth spurts they do forget some basic things. (Including how to add and subtract accurately some days) As far as the homeschooling aspect goes, I've learned that there are some days, we just do some very basics and come back to everything else the next day. Sometimes, that is all that needed.

I've also found that it helps to give them something physical to do...outside chores, walking the dog, a pushup or sit up challenge. Sometimes, that takes care of things.

There are some really bad days when all 3 of mine hit it at the same time and I feel like I must be the one going crazy, but it does pass.

Isn't parenting crazy????

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Ursula Norsedottir
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Amanda
Nebraska
37 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  09:06:36 AM  Show Profile
Yup. My kids are complete ditzes before and during a growth spurt. If I see them eating half their body weight every day, then I expect brainlessness and clumsiness to ensue shortly.

http://theblackbearden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  09:14:28 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
My daughter does that too. I have just been adding more outside time (we can do that in the deep South) and let her kind of do her thing. I read a small bit of history and then I left her play with her playmobile figures. She was acting out battles with her different soldiers. So I just let her play.

That is the best thing about homeschooling. You have days that get flakey. That is ok.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

www.flossesandcrosses.blogspot.com

www.morganicinstitute.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  09:16:25 AM  Show Profile
LOL! Oh my gosh, Amy! The title of your post made me laugh - something my husband and I have observed many, many times over the years. I think it's just normal. Our son still experiences "sleepy growth days," too, when he goes through a growth spurt. I think it just takes SO much energy when they're growing that it leaves little for all the other usual functions, and it makes it harder for them to concentrate, move around, etc. They become awkward in more ways than one. And I often wondered if their little bodies feel some sort of unrecognized pain while stretching and growing as they do. That, coupled with being so tired, may be why they can become a bit more cranky during these times, too. I say, just love him through it, be patient, smile and hug a lot, and just make sure he gets plenty of rest and healthy eats. It won't last forever. Well, actually, I suppose I should be saying: hang in there - because truly, it has only just begun! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  09:20:44 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad that we can be flexible with our schooling but it not just the schooling that was driving me batty. It was the simple requests like "go upstairs and brush your teeth for bedtime" and he puts toothpaste on his brush and then leaves it in the sink and gets distracted doing something else and when I ask why he's in his closet, I say "What about your teeth" and he says (as if he totally didn't remember he didn't finish the tooth business) "Oh, I'm finding a shirt to wear for tomorrow." Kids, I tell ya. :) I was just hoping someone else would say it was a growth spurt thing because I had a few relatives who were sure this sudden thing was something more. I kinda wanted to tell them to step off. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  1:45:26 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I am so there with you. I found Bri watching a cartoon with a toothbrush in hand (with toothpaste on it) sitting on the couch. When I asked her what in the world she was doing, she looked at me all innocent and said watching a cartoon Mommy.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

www.flossesandcrosses.blogspot.com

www.morganicinstitute.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  2:21:27 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness Amy...that sounds just like something my Simon would do. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  8:09:05 PM  Show Profile
There's probably some hormone changes associated with it which is normal. Hormones change as we grow older and cause all kinds of weird things. Good for you for not immediately jumping on the ADHD bandwagon and solving everything with a pill.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sabrena Orr
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Sabrena
Olympia WA
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  09:03:13 AM  Show Profile
I agree with the growth spurt = brainless child. My older son (now 17) went through this and now my youngest son (8 1/2) is be going through it at times too. When Ryan (youngest) is hungry ALL the time, forgets to do what is asked and is just generally pretty clueless, I credit it to another growth spurt.

Sabrena, Olympia
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  8:57:40 PM  Show Profile
Amy, I am so glad you posted this. In recent years I have noticed my oldest two (ages 7 and 9) go through these weird phases where they seem to temporarily lose IQ points and can't even consistently put one foot in front of the other! I've always been baffled by why they suddenly become so "foggy" and can't grasp schoolwork or follow instructions that they've tackled a millions times before.

Your post was the first time I ever heard this could be due to a growth spurt! Makes perfect sense. It will help me be more patient in the future. :)

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic growth spurt = no brain power? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page