New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Cloth Diapers Leaking Next Topic  

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  4:29:33 PM  Show Profile
Just started CDing, have 4 Bummies Whisper Wraps and 3 dozen unbleach prefold diapers. Also have in larger size for later. She has leaked pee on me twice today while breastfeeding and I am hoping somebody has some insight as to why that happens ( didn't happen before today). Maybe i am folding the diapers wrong before putting on the cover? I try to get the cloth very tight around her legs. Maybe not tight enough?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Julie

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  4:41:06 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I think Kateidid and libbie use cloth diapers try asking them.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  4:42:34 PM  Show Profile
I haven't started yet - soon, however, so I'm interested to see the answer. I'm just sure that Kate has a solution for you!

Kate?!?!?!?

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  7:39:14 PM  Show Profile
This is Catherine with a C here (I'm sure the other one, Kate with a K, will be around shortly...) :)

We use cloth diapers and started out with the Bummies too. I can't think of what would make them leak though (our little boy leaked a few times from not pointing "it" in the right direction, but you don't have that problem!). We learned how to fold the cloth diapers from this site (where we bought them too):

http://www.earthbaby.com/folding.html

Maybe it will help? Sometimes I think their little bodies as tiny newborns make it hard too. They don't have as much skin actually touching the fabric to soak it up right away so it can sort of...well...find another way out.

Good luck! And hang in there. It's totally worth it in the long run! (That reminds me, I have to go get mine out of the dryer! It's been a long day...)

Catherine

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  07:55:13 AM  Show Profile
JulieKay
How old is your baby? How much does she weigh? Are you pinning the diapers? Come to think of it, what size prefolds are you using? If your baby is still pretty small the regular infant size might be too big if you don't fold them correctly..gapping in the legs could be leaking problem.....
Also, check the fit on the covers, if your baby has skinnier legs this could be the trouble.
Get back to me. We'll get this figured out!!
love
Kate

http://theknifemakerswife.blogspot.com/2006/07/knifemakers-wife.html
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  6:21:32 PM  Show Profile
I think I just didn't get those two tight enough as I haven't had a problem today. Katie, Gwen is 6 weeks, weighs about 9 lbs, 21 inches long. I'm using newborn size covers which are tight enough about the legs, and the smallest size diaper. Both of those are almost too small, but we have the larger size too.

Catherine, I"ll check the website to make sure I'm folding them right. I fold them so they overlap in the middle, then pull the corners together to pin. I even kind of roll and tuck the edges of the cloth in after I get the cover on. I'm gonna sew some velcro on to make it easier.

Traveling to Illinois tomorrow to visit family so will not have acess to computer. Thanks everyone for your help.
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  6:53:30 PM  Show Profile
(For when you get back from your trip...)

JulieKay! You don't have to pin Bummies! Just fold the diaper per the diagram, cover with the Bummies and velcro the whole thing shut with the Bummies velcro! Easy as pie. No pins needed. No, no, no pins. Save yourself the extra step!

You have all the time in the world to diaper a newborn, but just wait until she's older. We're officially into "alligator-wrestling-diapering" with my squirmy boy! No pins!

Good luck!

Catherine :)

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2006 :  06:00:56 AM  Show Profile
Cloth diapers have really changed since my diapering days! You need a diagram to fold them?! I've seen some people using the cloth diapers with a cloth cover and it's hard for me to believe that cloth alone will contain leaks. Can't shake my plastic mentality...remember those plastic diaper covers that looked like shower caps with leg holes? Do two layers of cloth really keep the moisture in?

Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2006 :  06:06:22 AM  Show Profile
Yes, they do! The covers we use (ProWraps) are a cross between the old plastic pants and cloth. It's a coated cloth, so the moisture really does stay in. And I can't help but think that it must be much, much more comfortable for the little bum than the old plastic or disposables!

(My Mom was so surprised when I told her I was going to use cloth. But once she saw the "new cloth," she was totally on board. The best of both worlds!)

Catherine

Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2006 :  09:20:48 AM  Show Profile
I never used the Bummies. We used the MotherEase ones and they never leaked unless I didn't get them all "tucked in" the cover.

The covers though have a plastic layer.

I loved mine.

Keep trying!

Holly

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2006 :  09:21:48 AM  Show Profile
Ps.....you don't have to fold the MotherEase type either. They are prefolded, thick and they SNAP! yeah!

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

BStein
True Blue Farmgirl

75 Posts

Barbara
Westerville OH
75 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2006 :  12:15:32 PM  Show Profile
I'm not currently using cloth diapers (because the youngest babe is 4 yo), but I wanted to say don't use fabric softener on them because they might not be absorbing fast enough. The fabric softener will prevent them being as absorbent as possible (the urine might be running off the diaper when she first starts going). If you want them to be soft just add some white vinegar to the rinse water. It's leftover soap that makes clothes stiff and the vinegar will help rinse off the soap. Good luck.
Barbara

Edited by - BStein on Sep 04 2006 12:19:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2006 :  4:14:01 PM  Show Profile
We use MotherEase as well and never have a problem with leaks.

The plastic coating on the fabric.....that fabric is called PUL, Polyurythane Laminate. You can buy it online and make covers too, if you have time, a sewing maching and a good pattern....

"I would not interfere with any creed of yours or want to appear that I have all the cures. There is so much to know...so many things are true. The way my feet must go may not be best for you. And so I give this spark of what is light to me, to guide you through the dark, but not tell you
what you must see."
-Author Unknown

"Contradiction is not a sign of falsity, nor the lack of contradiction a sign of truth."
— Blaise Pascal

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  09:48:04 AM  Show Profile
I use cloth diapers for my two (ages two and 14 months) and hardly ever have a problem with leaking. There are times that I don't get the cloth tucked in the cover just right, or forget to change them for awhile and then I get leaks but it's rare.
I use all types of cloth diapers, Fuzzi Bumms, Happy Heiny, Bumkins, etc. I actually don't have any prefolds right now, but the all=in-ones and the ones with velcro and covers work well. I'm working on potty training the oldest right now so it will be nice when I only have one in diapers. My favorite thing? Seeing all the cloth diapers hanging on the clothesline and flapping in the breeze! Do not use bleach or fabric softner on your cloth diapers. The bleach breaks down the fibers and the fabric softner coats the fabric and doesn't hold as much liquid then. I presoak the diapers with some borax (in cold water, so as to not set the stains), wash with a gentle detergent with a bit more borax, and put half a cup vinegar in the rinse cycle. I hang the diapers out in summer and the sun bleaches out any stains and leaves them white! Unfortunately, a couple weeks ago while I was washing diapers the city must have shut off the water for a short while because when it came back on the water was soooo rusty. I didn't realize that until after the diapers were washed and they were all BROWN!!! I washed them several times after that but they were still brown. So, I soaked them in vinegar and salt (I read that on the internet) and let them sit all night. I then washed and hung on the line. It took a couple times but they are starting to get back to their original color of white!
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  2:08:29 PM  Show Profile
Well, I'm back from Illinois. The diapers aren't leaking anymore, I probably just didn't have it tight enough. I've found that you have to change the baby more often when you CD. Especially poop, I get it right away. I used disposables during my trip up north in the car, as the backseat wasn't very big and we were stuffed to the gills in our small car. I always carry a few disposables just in case I forget to pack extra diaper covers etc. But mostly using CD and it;s working out great. I try to get the diapers very tight around the legs and then I pin them. I tried doing it without pinning but it seemed to leak faster.
Julie
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  12:37:00 AM  Show Profile
I am glad cloth diapering is working out...You know, everyone I tell is so appalled that I use cloth, but really, it isn't such a big deal...I do tons of laundry anyway...

I just bought some disposable diapers for a trip, and I was shocked at how much they cost...They are kindof fun though...they are the pampers with Elmo on them..

If anyone out there is toying with the idea, Do It, you can be a part time cloth diaper family...use disposables when you go out.

Kate

http://theknifemakerswife.blogspot.com/2006/07/knifemakers-wife.html
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  09:56:23 AM  Show Profile
I have a nine month old, we used cloth diapers 'round the clock at first; however, for the last couple months I use a paper at night. This has worked out marvelously... I think it has reduced how often he wakes, since he isn't "water logged". At first I felt guilty becoming a part time cloth diaper user, but now I see its better for all involved.
Go to Top of Page

Clothcraze
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Kristina
CT
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  5:18:23 PM  Show Profile
We CD too. I use GADs pocket dipes. They make a pocket fitted too that I use with covers.

I have hard water and find that even with Charlie's soap, I need to strip them pretty regularly.

I also figured out that my little girl is a "fast pee"er. So I need hemp wrapped with microfiber to keep up with her.

The hemp holds a lot but is slower to absorb so if you have a rapid pee'er, it may run out. The micorfiber absorbs really quickly and wicks moisture to the hemp.

I also need to use a hemp doubler at night or else she leaks. Her tush looks like a sumo wrestler at night, but she is dry in the morning!!

If you have any other questions let me know. I sell GADs, JamTots and a bunch of other stuff on my website.

There are LOTS of ideas for fixin' leaks!!

Kristina
Mama of 5
Seeker of a simpler life
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  11:01:16 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I wish I had known about all theses neato diapering products when I was using them. I just had old fashioned flannel diapers my mom and I made. I still have one from when my oldest daughter was a newborn (made special to fit she was so tiny) and it's hard to believe that anybody was ever small enough to wear it! Hopefuly, there will be more babies (hubby is now convinced) and I will give you some business, Kristina.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2006 :  1:19:51 PM  Show Profile
My diapers have only leaked once. I use Little G's when in a hurry out and about or something, because they were the only things that fit her when she was first born. She was only 4lbs. And all the other AIO's start at about 8 pounds that we had bought in anticipation of her arrival. But, now that she is at the 8 pound mark, (2 months old, just hit 8 pounds this week!) we have been using mainly the Wonder Roos.

Any way, about the wonderroos, I notice that a lot of times the cover is poopy, and has to be washed along with the liner so to me.......it seems like a lot of laundry. (not too much but more then I thought, cause I thought you mainly changed liners not covers). Any way, my idea was to make my own liners but make them bigger so they cover the entire inside of the diaper. Has any one else done this? If so does it work, does it cause leaks to do this, because I'm thinking about almost making them a tad bigger then the diaper and letting them hang out a bit to protect the cover. However I put the covers on tight, so I don't think that would cause leakage, but would appreciate any experience in this.

BTW, I think I'm a little confused about the pocket part of wonderoos. Is that just for extra aborbancy. I at first was putting the liner in there, then thinking....uh why am I doing that, lol that's making all the covers have to be washed! lol Cause it's not like it goes through to the pocket! lol haha So what I am not getting about the pocket part of wonderoos? Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2006 :  2:03:51 PM  Show Profile
Hey Magnolia,

Be careful about making the liner hang out of the diaper unless you make it out of non-wicking material, otherwise it'll transfer moisture to baby's clothes, and it won't matter how tight you velcro the cover.

I've found that diaper covers just get poop on them (I'm on my second cloth-diapering baby), but since baby doesn't poop as often as he pees, you don't have to wash as many covers as diapers.

I know that diaper covers are expensive though, and it doesn't seem fair to have to have so many. I go through about 12 a week (I have a service and only do laundry once a week), and so I make my own. It's much cheaper and you can have a lot more covers. Plus you don't have an additional item to launder (the liners).

Can't help about the wonderoos question, though.

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2006 :  3:49:22 PM  Show Profile
lol I wish it was only 12 a week, I'm going through about 12 covers a day. She poops much more often then pees it seems. She poops at least 12 times a day! lol At least! lol I wonder when that will slow down!? lol

Thanks about the suggestion about the wicking! You are right! Thank you for saving me on that!!!!! lol We would have had a mess! lol Hmmm, Maybe I will just make them slightly smaller then the diaper. Right now they seem to be about 3 to 4 inches smaller. Leaving lots of dirtying room!

PS I live in NYC, in a apt and we're not allowed to have washers, so are forced to use the laundry mat (they own the laundry mat, so it's a way of them getting money of course-the co-op/apts I live in). So that's another reason I'm trying to figure out how to go through less covers. And like you said, they are sooo expensive!

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Nov 06 2006 3:50:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2006 :  6:31:44 PM  Show Profile
Hmmmm.... she poops that frequently and it's <i>always</i> getting on the cover? It's just a little bit of poop each time, right? Are your diapers big enough? I might move up a size and see if that helps (provided she doesn't have little stick legs that won't fit in a larger cover). How old is she? How big?

My boy is 12 weeks old and he's finally stopped pooping all the time -- only once or twice a day now. The big poops get everywhere, but the little ones stayed on the diaper. We moved up to a bigger diaper at 3 or 4 weeks though, so his bottom was well swathed :)

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2006 :  8:02:34 PM  Show Profile
Hmm, she has some small poopies, but a lot of big ones. She does have stick legs though. lol She's 2 months old. Right now she is 8 pounds. (She was a premie). The wonderoos are a one size fits all (a series of snaps). However, I will say it just started about two weeks ago with the covers being soiled. (we just started her on the wonderoos cause she just got big enough for them, but two weeks ago in her little g's she started getting those covers too!).

She's been at the doctor and pooped big every time she is there. (She has to go once a week) and the dr doesn't say anything.
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Cloth Diapers Leaking Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page