farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  3:28:50 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever attended a funeral that was held at the deceased person's home? As in, the body and everything is at home? My aunt passed away this weekend and it was her wishes that everything be done at home, like in the "old days". I have to say we all thought she was a little strange for doing it, but felt we needed to honor her wishes. I just got back from her service at home and it was AMAZING. I can't even describe it, but there was something so special about everything having been done for her by her close family (even the preparation of the body)and having it held right where she's always lived. There was something just really special about it. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13645 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13645 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  3:58:54 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I have been to memorial services held in homes but the bodies were not present, as the individual had been cremated. But I thought the services were very special, intimate and personal. I thought it was a great idea and that will be my request for when I pass on . . and will do the same for my hubby should he go first.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Through my lens - http://ceejayscamera.shutterfly.com/

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Jan 22 2012 4:53:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  4:50:25 PM  Show Profile
Intimate - that is the word I was looking for. It was just kind of neat and I had the same thought: I would do this when I pass on as well. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

jessabelluh
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Jessica
South Dakota
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  5:09:29 PM  Show Profile
I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like a beautiful service!

~jess
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  5:17:36 PM  Show Profile
Amy: Sorry for your loss. Yes, I've attended such a funeral. It's intimate for the family and for the deceased.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  5:27:00 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jess and Bear. It was not unexpected as she was very sick with cancer and knew she didn't have long. From diagnosis to end was about two months - it was very fast. She was very ill at the end and her passing was really a blessing. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

Twinsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Debbie
Wyoming
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  6:22:17 PM  Show Profile
Amy, Sorry for your loss. We have been to a funeral held in the deceased person's home. It is special and usually brings family close to share special memories of the deceased. Funeral parlors can be so cold and homes are filled with warm memories of the deceased.

Twinsmom
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  7:23:36 PM  Show Profile
I have an article around here somewhere about handling all aspects of "final expenses" in a down home fashion, not just the funeral. I'll see if I can't find it in case it's helpful to someone.

Edit: Ample information through mother earth news, just give "mother earth news funeral" a quick google if interested.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

Edited by - Dusky Beauty on Jan 22 2012 7:29:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  10:49:09 PM  Show Profile
as freaky as it sounds the older i get the more I worry about that part of my life when it comes...I even bought the plot next to my mother as did my little sis so when that time comes we are all together...but i must say I thought those times of home funerals were gone & love the fact that someone did it....You do not have to deal with funeral homes & people who did not know your Aunt...People came cause they really knew her & wanted to pay last respects...I think its lovely........plus with her being home you didn't have to deal with the grief of endless car rides to a funeral home, talking to people who are being paid to act sad & concerned.......I now know this is something I can do for me or my husband when that time comes & to be honest it really does bring me peace.....where better for me to be those last days before the burial but home with those who love me & my chickens....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  07:00:52 AM  Show Profile
I have attended funerals "at home" most of my life--it seemed to be a custom in Southern climes, within my father's family in Louisiana. The last "at home" funeral I attended was about 1989. My ballet teacher's mother, Mona, was laid out and attended at her home and come to think of it, so was her husband a few years prior. I haven't been to one like that since, and I'm not sure what it entails. Honestly, if the home is large enough and can accomodate the coffin, people, etc., I don't see the problem with it. It's how things used to be and that was obviously a comforting thought to your Aunt before she passed. I am sorry for your loss and hope that you can remember her in the way she wanted.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  07:46:38 AM  Show Profile
I really like this idea, since about 40 years ago when my great grandmother passed, everything was set up in her home, including herself in the casket right in the living room, we had endless friends and neighbors bearing gifts of food and lots of stories were exchanged, I would love to have for myself and have already expressed these wishes to my immediate family!
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  08:11:43 AM  Show Profile
I think that is beautiful!

Why not have all of your family and loved ones at home with you before you are laid to rest? There is something so very personal and loving about doing just that. I think that the whole burial ritual has evolved into a "show-case" for the survivors. It should be kept close to home and to the heart just like your aunt wanted. Good for her and good for her family who respected her last wishes.

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  09:18:31 AM  Show Profile
Home funerals are making a comeback. A few years ago I watched a fascinating documentary about it. Here is the link: http://www.pbs.org/pov/afamilyundertaking/

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  5:45:30 PM  Show Profile
My condolences for your loss. I think that is awesome (having the service at home, that is). Check out a documentary called "A Family Undertaking" it is really eye opening and so good.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

oregonatural
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Susan
Sprague River OR
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  7:25:28 PM  Show Profile
When my brother passed away, he was living in a very remote small village in Alaska. The village health officer called me and said that my brother's body was in a cold storage bay and would be fine till I got there. Wow, you have no idea how hard that hit me when I realized what he meant by that. In other words, in the village they took care of their own and as the next of kin, I was the one in charge. I flew to the village and with the help of two native women and my cousin we washed and prepared my brother's body, dressed him, combed his hair, laid him in the coffin. Then the village men put the coffin in the back of a pickup to haul it over to the village church. Intimate is the right word. I know it sounds funny to say it, but it was an honor to take care of my brother and all those who helped and participated felt the same. Yes it was difficult, but we have grown so distant from the fact of death in our culture, and I don't believe that is healthy.

In Oregon where we live, it is one of the states where it is legal to be buried on your own property (with some provisions) and my husband and I have agreed that up here on our mountain is where we expect to be laid to rest. That experience taught me that death is a natural part of life and there is no reason to be so afraid of it.

Love on,
Susan

My random wacky off-grid blog: http://oregonnatural.blogspot.com/
Blessings on you from the bottom of my mountain girl heart!
Go to Top of Page

BusyBeeMary
True Blue Farmgirl

178 Posts

Mary
Nampa Idaho
178 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  7:48:38 PM  Show Profile  Send BusyBeeMary a Yahoo! Message
I actually have been to a service like that at my great grandmothers funeral. Back then when i was young it was very common to have the funerals at home. So sorry for your loss. Your memories of her will radiate your love forever, believe me. Been there. Blessings.

To Live a Full life one must LOVE MANY THINGS- Vincent Van Gogh

Mary Fitzpatrick
http//www.Thepurplecrazylady.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  09:25:25 AM  Show Profile
My Dad passed away 1/3/12 and was cremated. We did not have the funeral at home and I honestly would not have liked that at all, but we did not have a funeral home. We had 2 "Celebration of Life" memorial services at the church in the town he spent 75 yrs in and at the church where he had worshiped for the past 10 years. Both pastors knew my father well. My brother and I spoke about favorite memories and others shared stories of my father. It was all very intimate and personal and many people commented to me that they had changed their minds about a funeral and were now going to have "Celebration of Life" services because it was all so upbeat and also honoring of my father. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  09:41:03 AM  Show Profile
I'm sorry for your loss, Joey. I like that y'all celebrated your dad's passing.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  10:56:47 AM  Show Profile
My grandmother died at home in March 1955, when I was six. The viewing was in the living room of her row house, the same room where she would set up a small table and give me pots and pans to watch the cooking shows on tv. I understood completely what was happening, and was impressed by all those people there to say goodbye to her. The following day, everyone gathered at the house again, the casket was closed and taken to the church for a Mass and burial, leaving me behind with a total stranger as babysitter.
I have never forgotten the feeling of abandonment and exclusion, and it has always haunted me.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic funeral at home? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page