Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 That moment when you realize your cast iron pan...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic That moment when you realize your cast iron pan... Next Topic  

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  8:54:40 PM  Show Profile
I discovered this morning that my lovely cast iron pan is in desperate need of seasoning when I attempted to cook up scrambled eggs for my little men. Yep, that was the moment, as those eggs just clung to the pan, coating it, becoming nasty brown and basically burning to it as the ones on top needed time to cook.

Don't you just hate that moment? Knowing the scrubbing it is going to take to get those scorched on eggs off the pan? And yet, I know I'll be back to loving my cast iron once it's been seasoned once more.

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4181 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4181 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  05:08:50 AM  Show Profile
I keep mine greased up after each use. I can't believe how they really do become nonstick! Soak that pan over night, that should help in cleaning it.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  4:39:49 PM  Show Profile
You can also put some water in the pan, heat the pan on the stove and scrape off the burnt food with a spatula while the water is boiling. works great.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Hoosiermom
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Beth
Alexandria IN
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  5:30:09 PM  Show Profile
we do the boiling water method too, especially when we are camping & it works great!
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  8:38:09 PM  Show Profile
My pan is at least 60 years old, and eggs will still stick. The surface of the pan is as smooth as glass, too! I CAN make it where it doesn't stick, but my husband doesn't like them that way (I use oil in the pan, let the egg set for a couple of minutes, drag it with a spatula, and repeat) If I try the other way, it still sticks. To remove it, I use a plastic scraper and hot water. REally easy cleanup! :0)

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4181 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4181 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  04:13:18 AM  Show Profile
Amanda have you tried just frying your egg in a little butter? I usually have pretty good luck with that method. Also don't use real high heat.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  05:28:01 AM  Show Profile
I think Amanda's right - eggs just plain stick! I am not afraid to soak mine with hot soapy water inside until the egg becomes very soft - scraping it off, scouring and cleaning the pan afterward is a piece of cake! Then I usually either fry some bacon up in it, or fry chicken or something like that, to season it really well. Mine's very old, too - belonged to my great-grandmother. It's a treasure on many levels! We use it every day! :) Don't worry, Wendy, it'll be back to "perfect" in no time! :) - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  04:52:04 AM  Show Profile
I'm reading all of your cast iron cleaning tips with great interest. I got my second piece of cast iron cookware for another birthday present yesterday....a 12 inch skillet with a cast iron lid...woohoo!

Thanks for the tips!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

Muleskinner
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Melissa
Temple Georgia
11 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2012 :  3:33:07 PM  Show Profile
I would NEVER ever soak mine, especially in soapy water. Putting it on the stove and boiling plain water is the best when you find yourself with a really stuck on mess and then season immediately.

I just posted in the other cast iron thread... when the iron heats up, the pores open, then you oil it, as it cools the pores close and hold on to the oil.

I prefer to put the pan upside down in a warm oven and just let it cool as the oven cools.

*~*~*~Melissa~*~*~

Nothing better for the inside of a man, than the outside of a horse. -W.Churchill
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic That moment when you realize your cast iron pan... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page