Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Mommas! Help! Baby shower gift--pronto!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Mommas! Help! Baby shower gift--pronto!!!! Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  08:02:10 AM  Show Profile
So...in true husband fashion, Justin told me this morning that his co-worker's baby shower is...tonight, thrown by the staff, and did I want to go? She's a lovely girl who has, at 22, had a host of complications, so yes, I want to go and give a happy welcome to this babe.

But, with such AMPLE notice given, I'm at the office, she is registered at Baby's R Us and I haven't a chance to go there on my lunch because we have a staff meeting. So, my option is Target, after work. When the baby is born, I plan on knitting her a hat, so this purchase will be the "useful" gift.

Having just done this a few years ago, some of my favorite gifts were the most practical (but then, I'm an older mom), and of course, every wee one needs a good lovey. Footie sleepers? Onsies out the yingyang? I need to maximize my time this evening since the shower is at 6:30, so advice is needed! Thanks!!!!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon

lwm
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

Loralie
Duncan AZ
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  08:12:45 AM  Show Profile
Most everyone uses disposal diapers & they can get expensive, so that is always a practical gift. Add a Starbucks gift card for the momma & you're set.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  08:43:05 AM  Show Profile
GIFT CARDS, so that she can get what she needs, and did not get at shower...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

lisalisa
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Lisa
Broomall PA
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  08:52:22 AM  Show Profile
oh, Jonnie, isn't that the way it always goes? Especially when husbands are involved!
I'm also an older mom, so I tend to lean toward the more practical things. Target usually has a nice variety of baby items so you can choose what you like. Maybe in a variety of sizes to accomodate the coming months? Add a teether or soft toy -- ooooh, some of those blankets are so soft! -- and you should be set!
Have fun, L
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  09:00:13 AM  Show Profile
Awesome--in my "worry" over the short time frame I kind of hit a "thinking wall" and really couldn't remember "what" I received that I loved so much. Gift cards are great, and yes, Target has awesome stuff! I think I can be successful and have it not look like I just went to the store...thanks, ladies.

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  11:11:46 AM  Show Profile
Board books and Pat the Bunny book have been staples for me along with onesies or washcloths or something else practical:) Gotta love those plan-ahead guys....

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  11:18:02 AM  Show Profile
Yes, yes, Amy Grace--I love to give board books, especially Pat the Bunny and Goodnight Moon. Always a staple. I read to Violet when she was in my tummy, and we read 4 (or 5, 6,7) books every night!

Yeah, gotta love those guys who plan ahead!!!!

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  11:49:46 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by lwm

Most everyone uses disposal diapers & they can get expensive, so that is always a practical gift. Add a Starbucks gift card for the momma & you're set.

I agree - and the bigger sizes, not just newborn.

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 kiddos, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker) and Twitter (@sphomemaker)

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  11:59:27 AM  Show Profile
Target is PERFECT!

Here's my list, as was suggested get a few books, they have good ones.

Then head to the women's socks department, get "knee" socks, you can make these in about 5 minutes, you can cut off the feet, and leave as is, or you can cut off the feet, then cut the toes off and the ankle off, turn in half and sew to the bottom of leg part of the sock to make a "cuff". These are called baby leg warmers. They are one size fits all new born to about 3 years old. They work great for changing diapers, and potty training, as both require you to pull down pants, but with the leg warmers worn as pants no one has to pull down pants!

The third great gift that target sells is moby wraps! Makes it awesome to carry new born baby around in. The munchkin slings are good too. But, the mobys are liked by just about every one!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  12:05:22 PM  Show Profile
oh and I almost forgot, they also sell a really neat line that babys r us sells too. We love the turtle we have in their line, but they have sheep and girraffs and lady bugs too.

What we like best is the turtle (also comes in a lady bug) night light. It's soft with a hard shell, and the light turns three different colors and puts stars on the ceiling. EVERY one loves it. I believe it's cloud 9 brand. But, they have a lot of their line of stuff. We liked to use the light to help me see in the night to nurse in the beginning, or to help see to change a diaper. It's night bright bright, but bright enough to help see with out waking baby too muc. And as the kids grow they love the darn thing.

Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  12:06:20 PM  Show Profile
The thing I loved the most when I had my shower (yup, another older mom) was the clothes for an older baby. 3 to 6 month and 6 to 9 months. It's nice not having to worry about clothes for a whole year because others were thoughtful enough to get various sizes. Other than that, I can't believe how handy the bibs and wipe rags have been. I go through more of those than anything, but maybe I just have a messy eater. If she nurses, those may not be as needed.

A Starbucks card for her would be nice as Lorilee pointed out. Something just for her.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  12:12:30 PM  Show Profile
@Heather--Violet has the ladybug nightlight and she LOVES it! I also note that the same company has come up with a lavender "sleep" lovey and I think that's awesome, too.

Great idea about the baby legs!

@Laurie--you're so right about getting clothing for older sizing. I shopped a lot of thrift prior to her birth and I was so happy about just being able to open up a giant ziplock bag of 3-6, 6-9, whatever. I was always happy when people bought (and still buy) Violet things for a year from now. Into the bags they go--and boy, have those bags seen a sharpie!!!!

I totally agree the burp cloths and bibs come in handy. At almost 3, I still use one of her rubber catch all bibs for especially messy suppers.

Go to Top of Page

LynnDinKY
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Kentucky
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  1:27:56 PM  Show Profile
The new thermometers for babies are great. About $30 but well worth it. You just roll it across the baby's forehead and it tells the temperature. I would have loved to had one for my babies when at that age it's so hard to get a temperature.

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Proverbs 31:30
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  2:08:22 PM  Show Profile
I really liked the lavender stuffed animal as well. That was my next favorite, and the giraffe. I like how soft they are. They have tiny ones too. But, I only see the regular size ones at target. But, I'm so glad Target has so much good stuff. Oh and if she is going to nurse they sell the nipple cream too, which is good to have in the bag for the hospital.

I just made about 6 pairs of baby legs in about 15 to 20 minute. My 5 year old is so small with the cuffs added they are even long enough for her! She loves them too. lol And they are so cheap and easy to make.

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  07:12:08 AM  Show Profile
Girls, you were such help yesterday! When I got to Target, I was instantly seduced by all of the adorable stuff, but they're sort of in "transition" between Winter and Spring so a lot of stock is diminished. But, I was undeterred. And while I was perusing the baby clearance end cap (amazing items, check it out if you're near a Target), I saw "Bumbo Seat" covers and a lightbulb went off! We absolutely, positively could not LIVE without that Bumbo Seat. Besides my sling, it was my everything. So, that's what I ended up getting her--a pink Bumbo Seat and she was so excited, she couldn't believe it! There were other mom's at the table and they all said, "oh my, yes, what an awesome thing! We couldn't have made it without the Bumbo!"

In fact, one of my favorite pictures of Violet was taken in her Bumbo, on our wedding anniversary. We decided to make a lovely meal at home and have dinner on our porch, so she joined us! We sat her up on the wicker porch coffee table so she was a part of our little romantic cafe scene :)

Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  10:07:53 AM  Show Profile
Yup--disposable diapers. Maybe offer to exchange them for cloth if the mother prefers.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  11:08:01 AM  Show Profile
Jonni - that's an adorable picture. Love the pose.... Priceless.

Sounds like you found the perfect gift. Good for you.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  12:28:30 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Lorraine--that is truly one of my favorite pictures of her, honestly. She always (and still) rested her little head in her hand, elbow propped. She even sleeps like that at times!

It was a successful gift--she was very please and now, if I can get my ducks in a row, I'll start knitting a hat so that she has that when she's born.

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  7:24:52 PM  Show Profile
What a good idea - I'll have to keep that in mind, I have 2 showers coming up. I don't think they had those when my son was a baby...
And awesome picture of Violet - what a pose!

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Mommas! Help! Baby shower gift--pronto!!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page