True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  06:10:04 AM  Show Profile
and there isn't a forum !

in our move, we have been selling and giving away things--much much has been given away...so

we have a dresser- it's a large 6 drawer wooden dresser-sturdy as heck and in pretty great shape- some minor scratches on the top but the drawers all work, it doesn't smell- i had my clothes in it and i am fussy---

it would be great to refinish or paint or for a kids' room-and its FREE to whomever will pick it up--so i listed on craigslist and i am amazed at the stupid questions i am getting or ppl who live 50+ miles away that can't look at a map!!!

i don't have a way to get it to goodwill but i may have to call someone! this is ridiculous! when my boys were young i would have given my eye teeth for a free dresser sturdy as this one!!!

ok-thx for listening!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~

tangledthreads
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Michelle
Middle Tennessee
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  06:14:57 AM  Show Profile
It seems so many people want everything handed to them on a silver platter..no effort on their part. Hope you find a good home for it!

*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´Michelle Farmgirl #85

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
Mahatma Ghandi

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  06:50:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I'm going through similar circumstances with stuff in my dad's house, Margo. I've been thinking about listing some remaining furniture on Craig's list, but haven't been able to make myself do it yet. There are a few things I'd like to get some money for to use to do repairs on his house before we try to sell it. Just don't want my phone number all over the internet...And now your experience sort of puts another nail in the coffin...Hmmm. There's an old dresser in his basement, too. But I'm sort of thinking about just sanding it, painting it, and installing it in a closet as storage in the old farmhouse we're redoing. Still got two china cabinets, a curio cabinet, etc., though. And no junk pickup in his area, either. Bummer. :(

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  07:10:55 AM  Show Profile
janice-if you list on craigslist you can have ppl respond to email-that at least minimizes soem of teh "public/privacy" issue
i have usually had some pretty good luck on cl-

if you have an "old" dresser- refinish it!! this one is maybe 1960's? or newer...and i may end up keeping it but not sure that my small apt will have room -

as michelle said ppl want things handed to them on a silver platter! if i were going into a larger place i would fix it up myself or continue to use it!

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  09:16:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
We used to have a newpaper thing here called the 'Bargain Mart' people could list stuff for sale in. Just a local thing. Still the same crazy questions, though. They would invariably ask if I'd take less! No matter what the thing and never mind that they'd never set eyes on it! Just: "Would you take any less?" Maybe I'll try your idea of responding to email. Thanks for that tip.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  10:36:51 AM  Show Profile
Look and see if Freecycle is in your area. It is a web based site. The goal is to keep stuff from going to the landfill. You can post what you want to give away or what you are looking for. I have used this site in my area and have been very satisfied. One person was looking for a large tent - we connected via email. Told her that the door had a rip - she was happy to get the tent and was going to repair it. The folks that use this site are not picky like I have found when I have a yard sale and put free stuff out.

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  10:42:27 AM  Show Profile
What about St. Vincent DePaul or Salvation Army? I know they have picked up many things from me, chair wise, tv wise, you simply need to call and let them know. Plus, it's a tax write off for next year.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  1:24:35 PM  Show Profile
we don't have freecycle here-i am quite famioliar with it but for some reason we don't have it.

i have a gal who is trying to come tomorrow evening-we just got almost 4 more inches of snow today (booo hisss)
there is someone else wanting it, too --if no response i will leave it in the garage if i can't get salvation army here in time.nearest st v's is quite far also!

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  2:35:09 PM  Show Profile
You can start your own freecycle, it's a free org. You can contact them about starting one up where you are.

OTOH, I did find this, I am not familiar with your area, but would this group work?
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lmnofreecycle/

That being said, sometimes I will say pure T trash is being given on some of these groups. Here where I am it's not bad, in fact pretty good. But, in NYC it was plain old trash really. I mean, I am not sure what questions you are being asked. But, like once I sent my husband to get a dresser for DD. When he got there it had no drawers. He took it any way....but um, we kind of needed drawers. So now when I am looking for something like that and some one offers on these types of lists, I ask does it have drawers? Is it broken? I don't mind doing paint, and such, but we don't have much money and gas is crazy high so to spend the gas money to go pick up something that is broken or doesn't have the pieces we need to use it. Then I would like to know before hand. I am sure there is other handier people then us, who could make drawers, or fix a broken dresser. So then I would rather that person get it. Cause for us....the drawer less dresser is still in the barn. lol haha

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  3:10:37 PM  Show Profile
MArgo - it is amazing what people want for free. We have posted many things on craigslist for free or for sale and people will email us with questions and we think we have it all taken care of, and then they will email and say "Oh gosh, we didn't realize you were so far away." really? Did you not look at a map??

As for freecycle, we haven't had much luck with that. With our local community it seems like its all WANTED posts instead of offers, and its people asking for Nintendo DSs, a working car, a working laptop....etc. Makes me so angry! About five years ago we were big into freecycle and it seemed to be a lot more reputable with people getting rid of useable things and not requesting things that were totally out of the question...but dangit, it seems just crazy now!! Could just be our area though....

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  05:12:11 AM  Show Profile
We live in a regular suburban neighborhood in a town of about 90,000. All we have to do here is put anything (and I mean anything) at the end of our driveway with a free sign on it. Within 30 minutes, it is gone. Once my husband put an old desk chair out and before he got back into the house, someone was putting it in their truck.
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  09:42:41 AM  Show Profile
we are 2 miles up from the village limits-only folks who go up and down here live farther "up" than we do! if it was good weather i would just put it out at the road but -we got 6 inches of new snow yesterday! which in itself is hinderin folks who are buyin thins from me off craigslist.

anyhow- a gal is sposed to come today after 4 pm -if not i have two very good backups on hand!

i am very familiar with freecycle and in past have gotten as well as given many nice things--with me moving in 3 days i really am not about to start a freecycle here!

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  4:04:57 PM  Show Profile
Good luck Margo. Keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Ruby V
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Ruby
Chilliwack BC
Canada
220 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  11:54:06 PM  Show Profile
I have both sold and bought numerous things on Craigslist. When I sell something, I try to give as much info in the ad as I can. I include at least one picture and I give the nearest cross streets to where I live.

We've had a few interesting experiences when buying. Twice when we've gone to look at the item advertised - turned out the sellers were real hoarders, just like you see on that tv show {laughing} I was like wow! a real-life hoarder! {laughing} Once we went to look at some items, and when we got there, the guy said he couldn't find them! Not only that, he wanted us to dig around thru his pile of boxes to try to help him find them {laughing}

Our most interesting buyer, was two guys who showed up to look at some stuff my hubby was selling. One guy was in his 70's, very tall and dressed like a woman! Wearing a pink dress, pink high heels, even a pink purse and blonde wig. He looked so silly. The other guy was in his 50's and looked like a woman. I knew immediately it was a guy, but hubby didn't {laughing} During our convo, the guy said he'd had a sex-change operation. I was trying not to crack up the whole time. It was kinda freaky though, but they did buy a bunch of stuff.

Craigslist is always an adventure {laughing}

Ruby ~ Sister #3597
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  07:06:08 AM  Show Profile
i had listed two photos and the measurements of the dresser-told straight out that it had some scratch marks on the top but very sturdy! two lil tiny gals came and picked it up!

we bought an exercise bike from a guy who had an old garden nursery store-the bike was buried under stuff and not easy to get at!

well-the dresser is one and my washing machine will go tonite-that's the end of it!

we just have to remain humorous in all of this!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic i need to rant for a minute! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page