Author Book Ideas: Previous Topic Riding Lawn Mowers Next Topic  

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  3:30:41 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I have owned, at least, six or seven riding lawn mowers. I'd like to see a section of women who do the lawn on a riding lawn mower. Every time I have a problem with the mower, like the seat will not come up close to the pedals (I have short legs), my husband always says "The people who make this machines should realize there are a lot of women who do the yard". There are many other things I'd like to tell the builders about, also.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross

momma jean
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

jean
medford wisconsin
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  3:53:55 PM  Show Profile
sit on mower and have husband measure the length from your feet to the mower and then cut a 2by4 or a 2by6 and strap that to the pedals and then you should be able to mow lawn. happy mowing
momma jean
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  5:03:28 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jean. I can get the seat close enough, but when my husband wants to mow, he has a fit because I don't push the seat back. LOL
But, I still think the people who build the riding mowers should talk to women who mow their yards. Like, for instance, changing the oil in my mower. Where the oil comes out, you can't put a pan under where the oil comes out of. Also, the battery on my riding mower is in the back- under the seat. Well, to charge the battery, you have to lift the seat. To start the mower, you have to sit on the seat.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Girly Q
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Delores
Shelton Wa
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  6:50:35 PM  Show Profile
I've had 2 riding mowers in the past 19 years and I've had a love/hate relationship with them. I love the first one but someone else did too. It was stolen. The second one I bought with the insurance money and I've hated it for 14 years but it still runs. I think I'll let the repairman buy it and get an new one. Any suggestions about brand, etc?? I've even played with the idea of a small mower/tractor. The big tractor intimidated me and I sold it. Whatta ya think?
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  7:04:15 PM  Show Profile
I have had several different brands. I must say, the John Deere was the best yet. I did have one from Conn's. A Poulan. It was a good mower, however, the brand new mower had fallen off the boat as they unloaded it. I don't know where they were built. Anyway, I had to call for repairs every month for the first year. They would never replace it. I now have a Husquvarner (spelling ???????). It is good so far. Good luck with your mower.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  06:32:39 AM  Show Profile
Every time I get on our riding lawn mower, my husband makes me get off because "it's his job." Hey, I say have at it. We have 3 acres and about 1 acre of it he mows. I get the clippings for my garden, everyone's happy.

----------------------------------------------------------

Cedar Mountain Herb School and Botanicals
www.cedarmountainherbs.com
Become a fan! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cedar-Mountain-Herb-School/199194060117277

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  2:28:58 PM  Show Profile
Avoid Sears Craftsman. Horrible designs -- the blades are attached to a post that breaks when you hit a rock outcropping or other rise in the ground. Also, the low-end John Deeres are poorly made of cheap materials; you're better off spending the same money on a used machine, or, if you can, buying the better models. The farmers with "fine mowing" (as opposed to bush-hogging) to do around here swear by Cub Cadets.

One thing I know, if I ever bought another riding mower, I'd be sure it was a garden tractor, not just a mower. The more you get into maintaining your property yourself, the more you'll wish you could add attachments!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  2:43:32 PM  Show Profile
Mara: When we bought the last mower (I have no idea of how to spell it unless I go look at the thing, it sounds like Husquvarna?????)), my dh wanted to buy a Cub Cadet. It was me who said no. Oh, well..... Live and learn. Thanks for the advice.
Marly

Go to Top of Page
  Book Ideas: Previous Topic Riding Lawn Mowers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page