Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Reading pattern instructions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Reading pattern instructions Next Topic  

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  7:31:15 PM  Show Profile
I'm in a pickle girls...
I have several sewing projects started and so many more I need to do. I have bought patterns and I have a lot of fabric...the problem is that I simply cannot understand what the directions are telling me to do. I have the Simplicity sewing books and several other books on the subject. I took sewing in high school, yes many years ago, and I'm still confused by it all.

Any suggestions? When I sew my kids learn a language that's normally outlawed to bad pirates and truckers (my husband use to be a trucker..my sewing language makes him cringe). I SEW need the help!

UGH!
Cyn

"The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today." President Roosevelt

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  8:06:13 PM  Show Profile
Cynthia,
What types of terms are stumping you? If you could give us a few examples, maybe one of us could walk you through the steps to get the end result that is desired.

It would also be helpful to know what types of things you are sewing. Like kids shirts, or curtains, or whatever!

Hope we can be of help to you, and lessen your frustration level. Sewing should be relaxing, not stressful... well, usually, unless you're under a deadline to get something done.

Humor is the prelude to faith and Laughter is the beginning of prayer. -- Reinhold Niebuhr

http://farmstyle.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  10:23:10 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Clare is right we need a little mor einfo then I am sure you will get tons of help.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  11:15:18 PM  Show Profile
Cynthia, ask and you shall receive! Lots of stitchers here who can help you out. Maybe even a farmgirl close by!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

newheart
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Margie
Owings Mills Maryland
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  04:41:50 AM  Show Profile
Yes we can... I am in the middle of yoyo's, skirts, and just found a cute top for next summer. I have to read them several times myself over a cuppa of tea or cappacino and then they become understandable....Just ask and you shall recieve.......mc
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  08:20:49 AM  Show Profile
Cynthia -- don't feel bad. I always have trouble reading the directions and I've been sewing my whole life! Sometimes I wonder if the person writing the directions even sews. Ask away -- we're here to help.

Handmade purses, home decor, and bath delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com

Read my ramblings at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  7:38:11 PM  Show Profile
Cyn,
I have been sewing for MANY years. Just in the last couple yrs have I been able to read and understand an entire pattern. It is much easier for me to do it one step @ a time. sometimes it makes more sense to me if I see it and do it as I go. If I get stuck and have to rip out more than twice it usually means it's time for a break. I come back to it in a few hours or sometimes the next day. It kind of says in my brain and I usually have one of those AH HA! moments.
Do give us specifics and we will try to help.
Teddie
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2006 :  1:41:11 PM  Show Profile
When I get a new pattern, I read it, reread it, and then for the next couple of days I really have to think about it until it clicks in my brain what to do. I can't just sit down with a pattern and do what it says, cause I don't get it! Read it and leave it for a while. Think about it. Put it in your own language that your brain will accept. Don't know if this will help, but it's worth a try. Good luck ! Susan
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2006 :  5:05:50 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
so medievalcat what are your questions in reguard to this particular pattern.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2006 :  3:32:55 PM  Show Profile
Sorry for taking so long to respond.. it's been a hard week at work then going home to face home stuff with injured hubby.
As soon as I can I will get the book out that is suppose to tell me step by step how to make curtains. I hope that time will be tonight! I miss my alone time with my girl friends here!

Thanks for responding!

"The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today." President Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2006 :  12:20:11 PM  Show Profile
Sometimes I become so frustratef with directions, that I just start makingup my own heading toward the goal I have in mind.

I have had to write instructions before, in needlework books, and let me tell you that is not easy either!

Tell us more and we will help!

Peace
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2006 :  4:24:05 PM  Show Profile
I'm with Jeannie! Sometimes the directions are just wasteful of yardage as well. Look at everything and see what looks like the logical place to start. If you get stuck you can always e-mail me through the forum (anytime) and I can help. I have been sewing since I made my first 4-H projects at 9 (a kerchief and an APRON!) Curtains, slipcovers, clothes, winter coats, dragon costumes with flapping wings...I don't think at this point there is much that will stump me! I'd be happy to help!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2006 :  7:53:58 PM  Show Profile
I just finished sewing curtains and thankfully they are behind furniture so no one can tell how crooked they are! The fabric just kept slipping everywhere and I just wanted it DONE!
ok...here's what I need help with...
I have to sew a fencing hood. It has to be made out of four layers of trigger, which I bought. I have a pattern that someone made for me. Any idea how to put four layers of trigger together that won't break my machine? The hood pattern is a profile of the hood. You would sew it at the crown from top to the bottom along the backside, then sew from the chin down towards the chest. I'm confused on the best way to put it all together. I'm so intimidated that I'm afraid to cut the material.

Any suggestions???
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2006 :  7:59:46 PM  Show Profile
you will need a heavy needle for th emachine, like the kind you would use to sew denim or other heav weight fabric. Can you take pics of the pattern and upload and then maybe one of us can tell you the best way to piece it together? sounds like some basting may be required prior to sewing with the machine....

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

farmgirlfriday
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Brooke
Puryear TN
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  5:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Send farmgirlfriday an AOL message  Send farmgirlfriday a Yahoo! Message
I think that sometimes we rely TOO much on what the directions say (and often in printed patterns they are wrong!) I tend to sew and knit "by feel", I go with my intuition and not worry too much about what the pattern says...and now...i rarely rip a seam!

"it's a bloody mary morning"
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Reading pattern instructions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page