Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Gadgets/equipment you can't live without?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Gadgets/equipment you can't live without? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  10:19:49 PM  Show Profile
So I'm compiling my "Farm Dream shopping list"

In my dreams, not only do I have a big garden, an orchard, a cow, ducks, geese and chickens, I also have everything I need to take all those food products to the table.

I've always wanted:
A kitchenaid mixer, a new canner, an ice cream maker, Cheesemaking supplies, and a new incubator.

What I can't live without: My crockpot, my 25 year old cast iron frying pan.

Whats on your list? :D

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

wandrinbear
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

beth
az
29 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  09:03:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jen, a crockpot, canner and cast iron fry pans are on my list too but another is, A regular veggie peeler.
Sure I can use a plain little knife but the peeler makes it easier and seems to take off a thinner layer.
My dream farm has bunnies too and goats instead of a cow.
fun topic, thanks for posting it
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  11:46:08 AM  Show Profile
I love my cast iron, as well! And this city farmgirl still likes her muckboots and aprons (literally). I don't know, I'm old-fashioned and square: give me some vintage gardening tool and some Amana mixing bowls, an old oak pinwheel, and I am set :)

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View My Work:

art/dolls: www.vagabondcreations.blogspot.com

The Horse Drawn Project and Farming!
www.beyondvagabond.com

View the blog and radio show!
Renegade Farming!: www.therenegadefarmer.com

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  11:48:58 AM  Show Profile
I agree on the slow cooker and cast iron. I used both last night for dinner! lol haha I use them both daily.

I have always wanted a kitchen aid too! I can't wait to have one. It's next on the big kitchen gadgets for me.

Oh and in the summer time a GOOD blender to make home made ice cream AKA smoothies is also a must have. We use it nearly daily in the summer time to make frozen smoothies with just frozen fruit and milk, that's it!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Jan 12 2012 11:50:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  2:48:05 PM  Show Profile
I can remember 30+ yrs ago getting 3 crock pots as a wedding gift & giving them all away...back then we didn't really know how to use them so things always came out tasting the same...but now that I am older I love the one I have....with its hot/low setting plus warm setting...I use it all winter long for stone cut oats for the chickens, yogurt making ect....I have also noticed I am going more non-electric as I get older as well.....so for me its always finding things like hand cranked ice cream makers....egg beaters, potato mashers ect that don't need electricity....plus stocking up at the end of the canning season on sales for jars/lids/rings.....
The one thing I am going to get that I didn't realize I really needed is a pitchfork! mucking out the chicken coops by hand I think is more than I can do now & a pitchfork would be heavon....lol....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  06:33:17 AM  Show Profile
I love my KitchenAid mixer, crock pot and cast iron. I want a big waffle maker like Mom used to have. It was a Westinghouse and made great big square waffles...yummm. But the appliance I love the most is my gas range, hands down. It's not a gadget but to me, it's a necessity for fast and accurate cooking.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  09:30:56 AM  Show Profile
Farmtopia--let's hear it for old-fashioned and square!

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  10:25:40 AM  Show Profile
Love, love, love my KitchenAide mixer! Not only is it the best mixer but it comes with all kinds of attachments! I've got the pasta maker but haven't used it yet. Got the meat grinder and boy did it come in handy when DH got an elk. Got the slicer and just this past Christmas got the sausage stuffer. Haven't had a chance to give it a try but soon! Oh and it needs bread for me so I don't have to! Like I said, this is one machine I LOVE!

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  4:58:32 PM  Show Profile
I will 3rd the KitchenAid mixer. I wanted one for years and finally had to start a savings fund and then got one with the low Christmas price. It should last forever. I love my old fashioned veggie peeler. I like my crockpot but it isn't a necessity for me. I love canning with my pressure canner. I prefer non electric or gas tools. It just seems so much trouble to get everything out. I definitely love my work gloves. They are leather but I only bought them because they were cheapest. I love the rabbits but I'm a bit wary they will be upset and bite. It happened to my stepdaughter. The gloves make me feel like I'm doing real farm work, too.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

wandrinbear
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

beth
az
29 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  05:11:30 AM  Show Profile
Jen, If i could grant wishes I'd wish for you a kitchenaid mixer. They are the greatest. When I finished nursing school I blew my first paycheck on one and as many attachments a I could afford. Still figure it was a good investment.
Michelle mentioned a pitchfork and that brings to mind it's partner, the wheel barrow. That or a garden cart is an essential for so many outdoor jobs.
Julie, I have scars from roosters and from a skunk but never from a bunny. LOL
DH played a radio for them. Said it kept them from getting nervous. Maybe he was right.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  08:49:19 AM  Show Profile
The Kitchenaid mixer is on my wish list....
Can't do without? Hmmm....good knives, copper bottom pans and a french-style whisk!

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

fabraholic4
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Jan
BURLINGAME KS
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  09:09:41 AM  Show Profile  Send fabraholic4 a Yahoo! Message
I have wanted a Kitchen Aide for years and this Christmas my dear brother gave me one and how I love it!!! I do love my slow cooker too. Another thing that I love is the wheel barrow, makes work outside so much easier. And then I love, love my sewing machine.

Oh for the simple life: family, quilts, corgi's, horses, homemade everything.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  11:48:40 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wandrinbear
DH played a radio for them. Said it kept them from getting nervous. Maybe he was right.

So that begs the question...
What kind of music do rabbits like?? LOL

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  5:28:38 PM  Show Profile
I have to say that I love my Magic Bullet! I didn't buy it - my Grandpa had 2 of them so when we cleaned out his house, my sister & I both got one. She rarely uses hers, I use mine all. the. time. I particularly like it for onions (I hate chunks). I also like my waffle iron & flat griddle a lot. I think my most favorite appliance of all time are my crockpots/slowcookers. If I didn't have those (I have 3 now! 2 big, one small), I probably would live off of nasty stuff - or just not eat supper at all & have cereal. And it's virtually hands-off. A bit of prep, dump it in, turn it on, leave it & it turns into a wonderful meal!

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

minismith
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Nancy
Moscow TN
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  8:06:06 PM  Show Profile
Amen on the Kitchen Aid mixer! Also, a Braun "stick" mixer (it has finger guards) and Braun coffee mill for grinding spices!

Nancy
Naturalized Farmgirl
Live a Savory Life!

http://www.liveasavorylife.com
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  06:39:27 AM  Show Profile
A note on the KitchenAid: although I have a tilt-head, as most people do, be aware that there is also another kind available where the bowl moves up and down, rather than having to tilt the head. WOW, it is GREAT. My mother has one and bought it at Sam's. It is taller than the tilt-head version, though.

I love my pressure cooker more than the crock pot. Same results in about a 10th of the time. I do use the crock pot, but the pressure cooker's just as easy! Of course, I love my cast iron skillets.

We bought a Champion juicer secondhand from Craigslist. It is AWESOME.

I just got a Yogotherm for cheesemaking/yogurtmaking and I loooove that. So cool. Regarding that in a sense is, we try to have non-electric gadgets when possible. I adore my vintage coffee mill for grinding spices and coffee. We also have many old hand crank graters that are fabulous! We grate everything from soap to cheese.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  10:41:59 AM  Show Profile
I like having a Crock Pot, Bread Machine, dish washer, but I would hate to live without a piano. Sitting and playing or working on a piece on music is the most relaxing thing in the world for me.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  6:54:47 PM  Show Profile
I must also say the Kitchen Aid mixer. Love it! Also love my Silpat mat and my antique cherry pitter.

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  6:22:11 PM  Show Profile
I have my kitchen aid mixer and I don't use it that often, I know you can make icecream with it by freezing the bowl and mixer. But it is such a pain to get in and out, maybe when my countertops get cleaned off more. I got my foodsaver and I am in pure heaven about vacuum sealing stuff. Also my food dehydrator, I love that so much. A tool that I would suggest to anyone is an apple corer peeler, it is so wonderful to have during apple time.

But the one country thing I would like is a fiddle or violin. I have always wanted a stringed instrument to play and it seems like a nice idea.

---
Farmgirl #2951
No longer renting, offical farmgirl.
Go to Top of Page

osbornefarms
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Leslea
tn
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  7:26:46 PM  Show Profile
Living off the grid you learn to do with out alot of stuff. People think i'm crazy with no micorwave and no crock pot,or kitchen aid mixer. But thats ok life is good here. May not be for everyone but it is for me. My family cant belive i got internet. But we did it for the kids and it runs off the battery. So i guess what i don't want to live without would be my cast iron. Because i cook every meal in cast iron pot, skillet or datch oven over the fire.
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  07:28:02 AM  Show Profile
Kitchen Aid and cast iron (all of it; especially dutch oven)everything else is gravy!

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  07:15:01 AM  Show Profile
Marly, I hear you when you say you couldn't live without your piano. I had to leave mine in Indiana when we moved to KY. There was no place for it. I also had to leave my theater organ, a huge relic from the 50's that sounded like a large church organ. We did move our antique pump organ, though since that is just for show. DH wants to restore it.

Yesterday my 6 week old 1250 watt Panasonic microwave gave up the ghost...smoke billowing all over the place. Dh says the magnatron blew up, what ever that is. Walmart said they'd replace it but wouldn't give us our money back since I no longer have the sales slip. Has this ever happened to any of you?

Another sunny and warm day here in the hills of KY. Hope you are all going to have a good day. I know I am.

Nancy

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2012 :  07:19:05 AM  Show Profile
Jen, you are gonna laugh, but I could not live without our manure spreader and harrow! With as many large critters as we have, life without them would be really hard.

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2012 :  07:54:08 AM  Show Profile
1. My tractor. It was the first "farmlike" purchase I made when I moved out of the city to the country as a newly re-singled woman with her horse.
2. Wheelbarrows of every size and proportion are also top on my list of favorites, including a big orange plastic tobaggon that I use to drag hay and other gardening things to places that can't be reached with a wheelbarrow during snowy and muddy times.
3. Solar chargers for the fences...they give me peace of mind knowing that when the power goes out, my chickens will be safe and my equines will stay within.
4. Indoors...a good set of knives, and I mean GOOD. We don't drag out the food processor or other "power tools" unless absolutely necessary.
I hope to add a food dehydrator to my list soon!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  11:20:57 PM  Show Profile
I loff my cast iron skillet and crock pot. I don't have a dishwasher. Well, actually, I do, it's me!!

My big pot for making the world's best barley beef soup (hubby said so). See my blog for the report. It fed us for three days!!

Sharp knives and good cutting board. I cook almost everything from scratch now. My mixing bowls, do all the mixing by hand. I have a blender but it's too much trouble to clean, easier to do by hand.

Fence charger. Coffee pot.

For some 'venting'-type of entertainment, please read my blog, http://lostadventuresintrucking.blogspot.com . Now with pictures!!

Also, http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com is back up and running! Please check it out! Puh-leeze...??

My newest experimental blog: http://lostadventuresingreatdeals.blogspot.com Check it out!!

Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  11:22:44 PM  Show Profile
Forgot to add, I wish I had a piano too. My cousin had a baby grand and sold it when she moved. That thing sounded so heavenly!! I took piano lessons as a child and hated it. Now, I want to play. Still remember how to and some music. Go figure.

For some 'venting'-type of entertainment, please read my blog, http://lostadventuresintrucking.blogspot.com . Now with pictures!!

Also, http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com is back up and running! Please check it out! Puh-leeze...??

My newest experimental blog: http://lostadventuresingreatdeals.blogspot.com Check it out!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Gadgets/equipment you can't live without? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page