prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  8:34:40 PM  Show Profile
Good evening ladies!

I got 2 female cockatiels a few months back. One of them screeches whenever I leave the room! Pidgett gets louder and louder by the day!

Anyone have any thoughts on how to re- train this behavior of screech/scream??

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated!!

Blessings,
Linda
www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  9:25:41 PM  Show Profile
First, I would have her checked by an avian veterinarian. Sometimes screeching in cockatiels is caused by giardia. Are her legs red? Does she pick at them? A good book on parrot behavior is The Pleasure of their Company by Bonnie Munro Duane. Does she have toys, especially chew toys? Hope this helps.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  02:25:58 AM  Show Profile
Cindy,
It does help, thank you. Her health is fine. Just seems a bit spoiled? Only happens if I leave th room and continues til I am back. Will look into that book!

Thank you,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  07:32:33 AM  Show Profile
I had cockatiels as a child and we always put a blanket over their cage when they were screeching. It always seemed to work, but I have no idea why. Might try that?

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  09:34:39 AM  Show Profile
I have had a coupe birds in my day. Some big some small! I would use a blanket. Maybe start with covering her at night. Then do it when ever she is loud. I would never go near her when she is loud. No talking,no attention. I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  10:00:12 AM  Show Profile
I will try all advice !!

Thank you so much ladies!!!

Blessings,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  11:51:00 AM  Show Profile
Yes, sounds like she has attachment issues with you. Is she not social with her cage-mate?

Be careful how often you put the covering over her. I used to be a tech with an avian/exotics vet and you'd get these traumatized parrots...the owners would leave the covering on ALL the time and the birds would start plucking and picking at themselves. These birds DO need to see light at times, and will start behaving in a depressed way when there is not enough length of light time for them. Start at night, maybe she just needs good dark coverage to help her rest and then you might see a difference. Cover her only when she's being fully loud and difficult if you must.

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View My Work:

art/dolls: www.vagabondcreations.blogspot.com

The Horse Drawn Project and Farming!
www.beyondvagabond.blogspot.com

View the blog and radio show!
Renegade Farming!: www.therenegadefarmer.com

N
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  12:25:09 PM  Show Profile
Zan,
Just sent you an email thru the forum!

Blessings,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  12:48:55 PM  Show Profile
Our cockatoo does that when her husband (my Brad) leaves the room. I've read lots and lots on behavior issues with birds since getting her back in August. It is usually because the bird doesn't want to be away from it's chosen mate. I've read that clicker training works wonders for this but BooBoo just looks at me like I'm crazy and/or totally stupid when I have tried working with her. As soon as she hears or sees Brad come in the room she is fine. After we'd had her for a couple of months she stopped as long as someone (even me, lol) was in the room with her but the past couple of months she's been horrible-- it started when Brad went to his mom's for a weekend visit and just got worse since. And to make it even more fun is the fact that I am "the other woman" in her eyes--she really doesn't like me at all. However, I have read that if you try leaving the birds sight for a sec and come right back IF the bird doesn't scream, give it a treat. Gradually extend the time and lower the amount of treats you give. I think the guy's name is Chris Womak; he has some really interesting videos on bird training and behavior. Also make sure your birds have plenty of "enrichment" activities like cool toys to keep them occupied and reward them when they are quiet and playing happily. http://theparrotuniversity.com/index.php http://www.clickertraining.com/ http://www.parrotenrichment.com/ http://www.avianweb.com/index.html some good sites to check out

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  1:56:49 PM  Show Profile
Rachel,
Had to chuckle at your story!!! I have had these 2 since around late Sept. , training was going fairly well. They were 8 years elsewhere and had to be re-homed due to a move. They were adjusting well? Then some family difficulties arose and my focus on them was limited. Since then it has been hard getting them to trust again and the one just screams and screams whenever I am not in the room! Putting them in a new and much bigger cage in a few days with more toys soooooo hopefully that will help some??

Thank you all so very much for all the input! All advice is helpful

Blessings,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  10:16:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi Linda! I got your message and wrote back. See if it isn't an issue in the cage, and then go from there. It may be a jealousy thing, but see if you can work on their environment first ;)

View My Work:

www.beyondvagabond.com

Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  3:43:44 PM  Show Profile
Oh I have quite a few stories about BooBoo, lol. She gets on my nerve sometimes, but for the most part she cracks me up. A change in the cage may help. We've also found that feeding her a higher quality food has helped. We're giving her Nutriberries these days which she loves--and her attitude has improved (not sure if it's just the diet change or she's getting used to the idea of possibly tolerating me being her presence somewhat). Birds are pretty sensitive creatures we've discovered and are easy to backslide with their behaviors--I know that all birds aren't like that. I had a super awesome macaw back in the day that was nothing like BooBoo. Good luck with them!!

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  7:06:18 PM  Show Profile
I keep hearing about nutri berries and how birds love them. Is it in place of seed? These 2 were seed only raised. I am trying to get them to like vegs and fruit, not too much success tho . Give them millet sprays several times a week and they eat it right up! They will be going from about a 27'' wide x 16'' deep x 24'' high cage to a flight cage that's 35'' wide x 20'' deep x 38'' tall. About 3 times the size of what they are in now, it's huge!!
But I can put a play yard in the bottom, add several perches and a shelf and lots of toys, etc. it's a birdie mansion, lol!
They should, I hope , be happier and love it. Got it used for only 20 dollars! But was A Lot bigger than I imagined when I picked it up, ha ha ha!
Will keep y'all posted.
Zan- got your email! Thank you
Rachel- good luck with yours as well!!

Have a good everyone!

Blessings,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  1:48:34 PM  Show Profile
A seed only diet is horrible for birds. (BooBoo was a seed only girl) If they are used to eating seeds it can be quite a challenge to get them to something else. Sometimes it helps if when you give them a fruit or veggie, you eat some too. The nutriberries are in place of seeds. They have seed on them, which makes it so much easier to switch, and a pellet inside; it is total nutrition. We give BooBoo nutriberries for her meals and then pretty much anytime we eat, she likes to eat with us so we share some of whatever we're having. Birds can eat pretty much anything you eat, so sharing is alot easier. That is an awesome deal for the cage!!! They should love it.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  3:47:40 PM  Show Profile
Hey Linda! Good stuff! I agree with Rachel...if you can get the birds to vary up their diets a little bit, it's better for them. And yes, Nutri Berries are good stuff :)

View My Work:

www.beyondvagabond.com

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  05:12:54 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, ladies!
Wanted to give an update!

I am still working on switching their cage. The new one is a flight cage and it's huge! So gathering toys and perches and a 'shelf' to add to the cage first. I can't wait cuz I am sure they are going to love it!

Anyway! They are doing better! Especially the screamer!! My little gdaughter is here each day, and just her being here daily has calmed them down. When I leave the room she is there or nearby and they seem to feel happier and secure. So little by little it all is going ok!!!

Thank you all soooo very much for your help and support! In trying each bit of advice ? It all has done a lot to help!

Blessings,
Linda
www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Screeching cockatiel Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page